The Official 348/355 Sale thread (non-affiliated sales or links to FerrariAds only) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Official 348/355 Sale thread (non-affiliated sales or links to FerrariAds only)

Discussion in '348/355' started by MarkPDX, Nov 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Not that one. The one inside your profile. Cans!!!

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Looks like me when I was in High School. :D:D:D

3. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    Which one..........the pimps or the boobs???

Ha ha

4. staggart

staggart Rookie

Mar 14, 2007
    Kona, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Sean Taggart
    Could I ask you to please expand your thoughts: specifically, what "service and other things" for $6 - $8K; and what is "high miles" for an early 348?
    There is a local listing for a 1991 348TS, 31K miles, "major service" including clutch done 4k miles ago. I am wondering what additional costs etc to anticipate.

5. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    The 30K major service itself is $6-8K. Other potential expenses include
    - water pump replacement ($500)
    - Clutch replacement could be 1.5K+
    - New tires if required ($400-1000) depending on brand. Remember you need to replace all 4 tires to keep the handling secure.
    - Fluids replacement ($200+labor)
    - Brake pads (?)
    - Battery or alternator
    - A/c panel if it is not working ($1000+labor)
    - Cosmetics - aluminium pedals, shift lever, re-do the leather etc. ($500)

Some of the numbers represent dealer prices. If you are mechanically savvy then it will be a lot lower costs as most of the money goes into labor.

There is no rule for high miles but it is easy to sell a car with 10-30K miles. It bcomes progressively difficult as the miles increase beyond that particularly after 50K. Under 10k miles are the true garage queens which attract a higher price premium which some buyers may not be willing to pay. So they may not be easy to sell. Also if you drive the garage queens a lot then you will face a lot of depreciation as then it becomes a normal car.

I personally believe it is better to pay a bit more and get a good car than buy a cheap car with potential issues and then keep having to fix things and cutting down on the driving time :)

My opinion of course. The wise ones who have owned their cars longer will have more accurate data to share :)

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Perfect advice!!!!

7. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    major concern with a very low mile 348 vs say an F40 is the disuse abuse that enters the equation. There are enough 348's out there that some very low milage cars may just simply be ignored (crazy I know) by their owners to the point they need
    EVERYTHING done to them to make them road worthy again.
    Otherwise, I agree with this statement 1+!

8. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    ^ Or the other possibility is that a very low mile car could have an odometer tampered. A carfax is a must to eliminate this possibility.

9. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    How about a mid-mileage early 348 TS (nice, but needs belt service) for $44k? Am I asking too much or should I raise the price? ;)

http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=2235&sort=1&cat=11&page=2

10. drsrock

drsrock Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Colts Neck, NJ
    Full Name:
    Alex
  11. Tooly

Tooly Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    vista, ca
    Full Name:
    sean toulon
    #61 Tooly, Mar 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you or someone you know is looking for a near perfect 355 spider mine is officially on the market. I bought it from a fellow f-chatter last summer and have spent the past year driving and caring for the car. I like my 'things' to be as close to perfect as I can make them and this car is in fantastic condition. I know that you can find one for less money - but to make one right costs a lot of money. My car has just over 19K miles on it and had it's 30k engine out completed last month. I also replaced the clutch and the tires and had the clipers powder coated red. It runs and looks incredible. I also re did the interior. Re-did the seats, dash, new wool carpet, added carbon fiber sills, console, instument surrounds and door handles. Also added aluminum dead pedal and foot rest on passenger side. I have also resprayed the front bumber to remove chips.

The car has had the valve guides redone along with the exhaust manifolds (I have records) and hyper-flo cats added. All of the issues that plague 355's have been taken care of. The car is located in the San Diego area and I would welcome a ppi at the establishment of your choice. Here are a few pics of the car. If you know of someone looking for a great example, please tell them about this car. It is really nice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Absolutely one of the best condition interiors I have seen on a Spider.
    No warped airbag cover, bolster is near perfect!
    Nice car!

How Much? So I can spread the word in 355land?

13. Tooly

Tooly Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    vista, ca
    Full Name:
    sean toulon
    Hey Chris,

I am asking $76K. The ad is also posted in FerrariAds.com. Thanks for helping to spread the word.

Sean

14. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
  15. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    #65 Bee Jay, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought a car. I wanted a late (91-92) red/tan 348ts with less than 30k miles.
    I bought a 92 348ts red/tan w/24k miles, a clear carfax, and good maintenance records. The PPI indicated the car needs a major service and clutch, but other wise, a "great" car. This car has tubi, new alternator, and a painted targa top.
    I found the car in Indianapolis. I ignored it at first, but after looking at almost every avialable 348 in the country, I started negotiating on this car.
    $51k asking price, I paid $48.5K. They would not budge below that.
    The car is located in Indy, and the person I used for the PPI is doing the service for only $6500. That includes everything a major is supposed to have, I triple checked, a new clutch, and some detailing of the engine compartment. The same service would have cost me $9-11K here in Cali and I would have to wait for an appointment. This way, when the car ships, I can jump in and drive.
    Some observations:
    Not many low mileage 91s or 92s out there and they are priced high.
    There are quite a few 94 convertibles out there for about what I paid, but I could not fall in love with the convertible.
    There are some extremely low mileage early cars, 89-90, with less than 20k miles, but they seem to be extremely high priced. $55-65k.
    Ferrari dealers seem to perform major service and put on new tires before listing the car, but they seem to avoid 348s, they like 355s and 360s.
    A couple of independent dealers commented that the 30k miles service was not done yet because it only had 2X,000 miles, when I explain that it needs to be done every five years and the car is 15 years old, they seem non-believing. Maybe we shouldn't call it the 30k mile service, but the five year service. Kind of like the aircraft community annual.
    California cars have a lot of miles, I guess because of the year round driving season, so I had to import.
    My budget was $45-55k. I'm out $58k with service and taxes. Delivery might run as high as $2k. We will see. I probably could have found a better deal price wise, but I grew weary of the search, and prices actually started climbing as spring approached. I should have the car sometime in May.
    Bee Jay

16. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    Congrats on your car Bee Jay! I'm happy to hear you finally found the right one!!!

17. tamf328

tamf328 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    good luck with the car. I bought one, I think they're pretty good cars.
    wished I would have bought a spider though instead of the targa.

you should have seen that black 348 at sportauto. I think it sold.
    I saw that car, it looked near perfect. wonder if the lucky buyer is on
    this list.

18. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    Man, black is beautiful, but so high maintenance. Dust it off in the morning before you drive, dust it off while you gas up, dust it off when you get where you are going, dust it off after the movie or dinner or whatever, then wash it and wax it when you get back home. My Corvette is a t-top, and my Porsche is a targa top. I think targas are the perfect compromise between the solidness of a coupe, and the open air feeling of the convertibles. I think I'll be happy with my red targa.
    Bee Jay

19. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Looking for a 98/99 355 GTS F-1, preferably red/tan. Must have good records. PM me if you know of any for sale.

20. surfowl

surfowl Rookie

Dec 13, 2006
  21. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
    There are a ton of 94-95 348 Spyders on cars.com right now. OK, not a ton, but at least half a dozen. Aren't these the rarest 348s? Also, did they build any non SS 348ts in 94? There is one listed, but it's not a SS. Didn't all SS have the non-grated tailights. I bought a car already, but I can't seem to get out of search mode, and everyone that didn't have a car available over the last two months is calling me with cars now. I think I got a great car for a good price, but Husker in Texas was right, be patient and wait.
    Bee Jay

22. Bee Jay

Bee Jay Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2004
    Lompoc, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Bernard E. Jones
  23. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name: