The Official 599 GTB Fiorano Thread | Page 15 | FerrariChat

The Official 599 GTB Fiorano Thread

Discussion in '612/599' started by geertf60, Jun 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Schmenzo & the 612 have both been very disappointing to me from a design perspective.

I would much rather have a 456 or a BMW 850 than a 612

& I'd take an F50 over a Schmenzo in a heartbeat

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    20 years or so from now,when the new "900 Bologna" is introduced,everyone on this Board will hate it of course,recalling the glory and beauty of the old ,classic Imola 600.
    Back in 1984,everyone criticized Testarossa for being too radical and different,same story when F50 showed up.
    When 288 was introduced,it was disliked for its similarity to 308.
    And on and on...
    And the waiting lists for new Ferraris is still growing,regardless of the so called "enthusiasts" continous criticism.
    Flame away....

3. janus

janus Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Croatia
    Full Name:
    Janko
    I agree. Only the ''In your face design'' will ever become a classic, all the others will just fade away into the past...
    It works it got us talking about it. Sure now it's radical, ugly, whatever, 2 yrs from now it will get under everybodies skin and mostly be loved. I'm sure.

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    That's how Chris Bangle justifies his designs.....
    The bad news is that Gabriel343, the supposed Ferrari test driver has already let us know that the 600 is styled on the 612, so my prediction is, prepare to be disappointed. It is possibly that he is FOS and we culd be in for a pleasant surprise, but I for one a not going to count on it.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno Zack. Ferrari hit three home runs during the 90s with the 456, 550 and 360. However, now that Luca has moved on, you have to wonder.

For example, the first new car design of this decade was the Enzo. Time will tell, but clearly Carbon likes the black ones because this color hides how ugly it looks. Next out the gate was the 612. It is supposed to be an amazing GT car for driving. But how could anybody miss that ugly front end? The SuperAmerica looks pretty cool, but it is not a new design.

So how will this car look? Geeze I hope that Ferrari doesn't screw it up. I'm sure that it will be one hell of a driver. I also realize that don't see the outside while you're driving. But, late at night in your garage, who wants to see a baby whale?

Dale

6. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Why is 612 and possible Maranello replacement so long and large? I like the fact that the Maranello had some charateristics of the old GTO. I would hope that the new wave of cars stick to the trend of taking the best of new and old in a blend of style. I actually like the business like connection of the 612 being a practicle, fun and classy daily driver to doctors and lawyer types and having styling cues from previous owners such as Rosellini and Bergman. But in person I thought it looked bloated and long. Are basketball players that big of a market? Why are the new Ferraris, the SLR, the proposed Maybach, Caddies Sixteen-like new proposal so huge? I hope the Maranello replacement goes compact and curvey like the old GTO. These new cars just look too big to me.

RocketBoy

7. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Agreed, the Corvette looks ten times better. Fire the designer and get an Italian one in there.

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    #358 zjpj, May 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dale,
    This is an amazing shot (by udalmia) - CS with Dino. The baby Ferrari of today with the baby ferrari of yesteryear. The picture does not even need any comment; it speaks for itself. Times have certainly changed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. HIGHROLLERM85

HIGHROLLERM85 Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Matt
    They should make the 600 look more like the 430.Than everybody would pick it over an Aston Martin and it would be beautyful. If they make it look like the 612 than I predict it will fail Miserably. I've seen the 612 at the NY Autoshow twice during the last 2 years and it just looks worse everytime. Ferrari really needs to make better GT V12 cars. The Ferrari V8 cars are great, but the 612,575 and now the 600 need improvement.

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    So I guess I am in the minorty then, having the opinion that both the Enzo and the 612 are fenomenal looking cars and the Ferrari design is picking up again. The frontend of the 612 is a problem? Well, what makes the frontend of a 456 so great? Talk about weak design. Same goes for the frontend of the much applauded 355. Doesn´t look as good as the one on the 348.

I am apperantly also in the minorty in thinking that designwise, Ferrari hit rockbottom with the F50. That is one ugle car, and with the top off...it looks even worse. Drained of all creativity, they tried to make a F40 look ´modern´ by making it rounder and slapping the airintakes and wings back on, and again, with a weak frontend. A fellow Fchatter described the F50 as a childs bed. You know, the ones that look like a racecar. That is exactly how it looks.

As for the 600 Imola? Nobody really knows. Just wait and see. If my experience with looking upon newly unveiled Ferrari´s is anything to go by, I will go from feeling dissapointed to thinking the car looks awesome -when more pictures are at hand- in about a month or so.

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    guess i am in the minority...but i like the 612, and i like the way the 600 will look....once they take off the camo it will look better than these pics. the longer wheelbase will improve the ride, and allow for an easy convertible, which i sincerely think they will make this time.

dont worry, when they announce this car, the first 2 years worth of production will be sold out within 4 months......

12. nickgreen

nickgreen Rookie

Feb 10, 2005
    For those wondering who designed the recent Ferraris, Ken Okuyama did the Enzo for Pininfarina prior to his becoming chair of the Transportation Design department at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, CA (I just graduated). He also did the 456M facelift... then returned recently to Pininfarina and is now chief designer - Quattroporte, 612 Scag are his and this 600... we'll have to see. The 430 was done at Ferrari's studio by Frank Stephensons team as far as I know.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Wow. Ferrari builds a Corvette. What next, an SUV?

Jack

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Just because it is "based" on 612,does not mean it will look like the 612.
    Gabriel probably meant that the 600 would be based structurally(floor pan,alloy body) on the 612.
    You can base a new car on another and make it look totally different at the same time.
    So all hope is not lost,I'm keeping my slot on the waiting list......

15. bripab007

bripab007 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Same thing happened on the Miata forum I frequent when they posted test mule pics of a 3rd-gen Miata running the Nuburgring. It was basically a 2nd-gen Miata with an RX-8 nose grafted on the front, and everyone swore that it was what the 3rd-gen was going to look like. It looked laughably disjointed (much like this 600 Imola mule), and I couldn't see how or why anyone was bothering to critique it.

16. minan

minan Rookie

May 23, 2005
    off course the 612 is a nice ferrari to see, but the 575 has to look a bit more agressive and the 612 doesn't have that appeal on me. it's a ferrari for the elder, for the men ( or women) who don't have to work anymore and can spend their time with traveling all around the world. the 612 is capable of doing that. but when I saw top gear and they compared the 575 with the aston martin, jeremy clarkson chooses the aston, because the 575 was a boring car. a boring car, a ferrari!!!!!!!!!!!!! so next time clarkson steps into the new 600 imola, I hope he can change his point of view.

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Clarkson is a bore,incompetent and truly worthless scribe ,who most of the time has no real idea what he's talking about.
    On top of it,he's a very poor driver with no credibility in that regard.
    His qualifications would barely allow him to polish Tiff's shoes.

18. Sup

Sup Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
  19. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I think it's the front head lights that are bothering me. Otherwise the car looks good.

20. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Unfortunately the context in which he wrote it made it very clear that it was similar in looks to the 612.

21. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    #371 need4speed, May 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I second that!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ