The official Daytona SP3 Thread! | Page 16 | FerrariChat

The official Daytona SP3 Thread!

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by Jonathan19, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #376 werewolf, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    I'll take a single "copy-paste" that results in gorgeous, cohesive design like the P72 ... any day of the week ... rather than a haphazard "copy-paste" of several elements from several cars that results in such a chaotic, visually-confusing design!

But, to your point, YES ... i would have fallen madly in love with this new Daytona, had it looked exactly like the 330 P4 :)

2. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Soooooo true. Pininfarina, Scaglietti, Fantuzzi, Bravarone and Fioravanti were all geniuses of their time and designed or constructed some of the most iconic Ferraris. As for Manzoni, i just don't get where he is at.

3. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Also the video of the cars running along the track is good for appreciating the stance I was commenting on just before. Even the wasp waist gets somehow unadverted.

crinoid likes this.
  4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Manzoni needs direction from upper mgmt to reel him in/provide focus. There is none. Ferrari a ship w/o a captain.

elmadi, V12addict and crinoid like this.
  5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Oh, then we have different views not just about this car, but about car design, arts and I´d even say life in general.

In other times we´d have to settle this in a duel, but in the internet era we can just agree to disagree. :D

Senad likes this.
  6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, IMHO when we refer to something special like the Icona series and after all this time you see the 3rd of the series with a name like 'Daytona' and with that design, you expect something better than the one mentioned above.
    I mean that is this the best idea Manzoni had about the Icona 3? Really??
    As an interior architect and industrial designer, i hardly see any similarity with the 250 P5 of 1968. Yes, it has the rear slats, the rear part of the car has the scientific rear curves/humps and the side inserts but nothing reminds that this is actually a homage to the P5.

It is the ugliest of the three Icona series so far. That's my personal opinion of course.

7. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

8. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #383 rumen1, Nov 21, 2021
    Seeing it alongside the Monza today, I personally think it is a better looking car. The front has too much different lines for sure, but overall the shape is nice. It's all a matter of taste, of course, but the overall shape of the car is good, on my opinion. Definitely I would not call it beautiful, but it is good looking.

What I could never understood is why automakers make new interpretations of old models, instead of making something completely different. After all, Gandini was not looking to anything when creating the Countach and he definitely doesn't want to look at the new one :)))
    Same with the Ferraris. I think they should leave the iconic models in the past, because trying to make a modern interpretation of an iconic car will always be a guaranteed fail on my opinion...

9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I believe we have the EU 2022 pole impact safety standard to thank for that obvious and massive door structure as that new pole impact standard is very invasive, will be curious to see what MB/VW/etc will do on their cars, seems more obnoxious designs are on the way ...

tfazio, of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    It would seem that the classic concepts of beauty, form, flowing lines, single design language, visually pleasing, etc etc are no longer important to Ferrari. Bold, dramatic, daring ... these are the new guiding principles for the marque.

I was only joking before (somewhat), but now i'm more convinced than ever ... we'll see variations of this car with all exterior colors present at once: green, yellow, blue, red, purple, orange ... with a similarly confusing interior pallet ... and the results will also be praised as brave, bold and striking!!

Vermilion.Automobili and Senad like this.
  11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    We´re forgetting that designs that now are "classic beauty" were bold back in the day.

Actually, racing cars were not even made to look good.

jamalj, elmadi, Juvendude and 3 others like this.
  12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    There's a fine line between "brave, bold and striking" and "gauche, garish, and overdone" isn't there.

If they had a leader at the top in possession of requisite style/taste, that line would not be crossed.

(ahem... LDM)

13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Interesting info. So expect bigger shoulders at the belt line then, going forward?

The best detail on this car is exactly the big square shoulder behind the front wheels with the sunken rad inlet.

14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Was the 330 P4 ever considered to be ugly, chaotic, non-cohesive ??

The idea of "timeless beauty" really does exist. And this new Daytona sure ain't it.

15. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Interesting that this thread is all about what the car looks like and not what it will be like to drive.
    I guess the Icona range is ultimately all about looks and exclusivity.

Rosso963 and Marcel Massini like this.
  16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #392 werewolf, Nov 21, 2021
    Good looks and high performance don't need to be mutually exclusive ;)

(but the excessive, inexplicable weight of this car ... which will certainly impact the performance, road or track ... has certainly been discussed in this thread)

rajaramsivasankar likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Yes. Front canards. However, in the examples you shown, the front sharp pointy ends are artistically assimilated into the body. In the case of the SP3, they purposely left the pointy end hanging out and they look like fangs.

rajaramsivasankar likes this.
  18. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Ah, if only the internet existed when the Testarossa debuted … FChat would have gone up in flames! Today that car is as iconic as any, a true milestone in the history of beloved Ferrari. I seem to recall 5, maybe 10 pages of “uterus” comments when the now-beloved F12 debuted.

I hope we are all still here in 25 years to be able to shred the new SP93 and lament that it is ugly and lacks the design brilliance of the Manzoni-era SP3Daytona!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Many still think the Testarossa isn’t that great looking, including myself. However, it has a very strong retro appeal. An 80’s interpretation of the “future” gone wrong. It does have presence and at least a coherent design.

20. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    Is there a video of this?

21. alexabsolute

alexabsolute Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

Attached Files:

22. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    What I can tell you is that Manzoni was surprised that the rumors suggest a P3 / 4 ...
    I think they tried to satisfy the rumor by understanding that very few of the customers actually knew of the existence of the P5.

jm2 and of2worlds like this.
  23. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Coherent now. I imagine had FChat existed then, nobody would have used that word! It was a spaceship, a complete departure from the Ferrari design ethos! Blasphemy! Ferrari has lost its way! Pininfarina must be fired immediately! Nobody will buy this piece of crap!

I applaud them for taking chances. I think the design is fantastic. Don’t love all of it but on the whole, I am a fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Sir_Ferrari, j09333, Bas and 2 others like this.