The official Daytona SP3 Thread! | Page 25 | FerrariChat

The official Daytona SP3 Thread!

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by Jonathan19, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    No matter what Ferrari says to set performance expectations LOW ... a new V12 car (advertised to be) inspired by a series of historic race cars being beat by a turbo-V6 is not NOT a good look for the marque.

Let's hope that's not the case.

Vermilion.Automobili, Senad and inox like this.
  2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yah..maybe then i will be able to buy one :)...i guess i'll pass for now!

of2worlds and jpalmito like this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Doug23, Maggio23, G. Pepper and 13 others like this.
  4. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    WOW I know it's impossible for Flavio to not borrow from older pininfarina designs, but after reviewing the 250 P5... yeah they straight copied it :eek:

werewolf likes this.
  5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #605 Albert-LP, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Maybe you are forgetting we are talking about an Icona series car: the name itself "Icona" means they are inspired by the most famous cars of the past. If the shape would be completely new, it couldn't belong to the Icona series...

Ciao

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    think there will ever be a laptime comparison with new countach? would be very interested to see that.

7. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Thanks for reminding us Alberto, such an obvious point that some seem to forget it.

Anyway... and I really mean this question: other than the rear strakes, is there anything else from P5??

Albert-LP and crinoid like this.
  8. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    neither is this car … base plus options plus taxes you aren’t going to get much change out of $3m.

ShineKen, crinoid and of2worlds like this.
  9. tommd

tommd Rookie

Dec 24, 2004
    Thousand Oaks, CA
  10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    You mean the P5 doesn’t have doors with elbows ?!

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Wow. That is up there :). Just going off reports it was roughly a $2.2 mil car. $3 mil... geezus.

12. Atlantic

Atlantic Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2015
    Porto, Portugal/New York, USA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nice general shape but overly busy in the details. The rear is hideous. Crack is wack.

13. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    #613 ohno, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    For me, this design is a kind of staging like many modern car designs. The numerous historical references are supposed to lead us to believe that this car is in some historical tradition, but of course it doesn't. The classic sports racing cars had a natural look that you might or might not like. But they were always authentic.
    Basically, I like the way Ferrari deals with the “air theme“. But with these doors (i will call them “air suitcases”) and the following “bottleneck“ the design seems totally overdone like so many elements of the car.
    Only Ferrari can tell us how much performance this door-solution produces but unlike the classic sports racing cars, this car will never prove that to us in a race. So much ado about nothing...

Atlantic and werewolf like this.
  14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    This ^^ is a really good point.

On the one hand, Ferrari goes out of their way to emphasize that this car is NOT about ultimate performance (on the road or track) ... don't expect LaFerrari level performance (even though it's carrying LaFerrari weight), similar power/weight as their new turbo-V6, etc.

But then we're supposed to believe that the incongruous "wasp-waist", and other visually-painful elements, are all about ultimate aerodynamics? Something is amiss ...

Senad and ohno like this.
  15. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow, so much aggressive negativity here from people that clearly need more hugs in life. I get it but say “it’s not for me” and move on. I’m super shocked by how aggressively people feel they need to get across that they don’t like it (over and over). Like OK, it’s not for you. Say it once, politely, constructively and move on. Here’s a shocker.. maybe they didn’t design it for you but rather the younger affluent generation that they’re trying to bring into the brand. There are other world views than your own.

My personal favourite posts are the keyboard warriors saying, “This has no cohesive design” or “Ferrari designers don’t know what they’re doing”. Best yet, “This is the end of Ferrari” (while Ferrari is more successful and popular than ever). I love it. Ferrari has the best auto designers in the world and others dreaming to work for one of the most famous and recognizable brands. Not to mention that the Icona is a multi billion dollar project with each SP they release. Sure, you know better than their top designers because you do “home design” or watched YouTube videos. We get it, you’re the best calm down.

And really? They just chopped random models together and upcharged by a huge amount to get the SP3? People said that about the Monza. Now that I’ve seen (and driven) it in person, I can say that’s not the case. Also I know people and the culture at Ferrari. The passion they put into projects is incredible.

Designs are subjective, no question. No design will ever appeal to everyone. However, militant aggressive hostility doesn’t speak badly about Ferrari, it speaks badly about the person posting it. It just seems petty and small and makes others not take you seriously. It also makes this forum a drag to read.

Love the discussions on the cars. Love the technical talk. Even love the opinions - especially those that differ from mine if they’re presented in a constructive way (because I get to learn something or at least reflect on my own opinions). But seriously, pages and pages and post after post of the same people needing to say the same thing but louder and angrier just ruins the discussion for everyone.

BTW, I’d also be saying this if it were fanatics constantly saying how amazing it was over and over and louder and louder. Funny how the positive opinions just need to say it once, and then move on. Not sure why the negative views need to be overwhelmingly loud and insecurely tell us how smart they are for having their opinions.

Oh, and the SP3 is a mid engine, NA V12, carbon tub, open top Ferrari that instantly sold out. Sure, it’s the end of Ferrari. That makes sense.

16. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Why? Because if it is, no one will buy it? Because people will flock from the brand? 288GTO, F40, F50, Enzo are all slow by today’s standard. Last I checked, values are steadily increasing. Last I checked, the last Icona model couldn’t even be driven on many public roads! Sold out. Stop getting hung up on stats, there is so much more to the driving experience. And yes, I realize that everyone offered this car was going to buy it, even if it looked like a toaster on wheels, just so they’d be in line for the next hypercar, or so they wouldn’t lose their standing. To sum up … the choice between a NA mid mounted V12 with a carbon/Kevlar tub vs a hybrid V6 … it could be 2 seconds slower to 60 and not one single buyer would care.

Let’s just hope the lucky few drive the snot out of them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Unless a private owner chose to do so, which would be highly unlikely, then no - we never will. Nor would there be a point to it, both cars are not a demonstration of new technology or their ability to perform rather an exercise in design.

18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    There's a simple answer to your question: Ferrari has always been about performance and style. When the marque stops caring about performance ... because today's limited model will sell to the loyal fans, anyway ... and starts going in "questionable" styling directions ... because today's limited model will sell to the loyal fans, anyway ... it's not a good sign for the future of Ferrari, in my opinion.

In my view, it's not a good bellwether for a Ferrari V12 ... inspired by historic race cars from the marque ... to be out-performed by the brand's latest turbo-V6 offering. Will it impact the sales, today? Of course not.

These comments are from someone who has loved the marque for decades, and cares about it's future.[/B]

Marcel Massini and ohno like this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I (or we) appreciate the response. You're not wrong. As a buyer or potential buyer, you have every right to say what you just said and at this stage, it was probably best someone said it.

However, I would like to offer a perspective. Not for the sake of arguing, but simply a flip-side to your perspective. I can only speak for myself.

My only critique regarding the SP3 is looks. I am sure it is a fabulous car, even if it under performs it's contemporaries. Many want a pure naturally aspirated V12 motor without the extra modern fuss and if that means some undercut in performance, so be it.

We all know these are going to sell. Ferrari could sell you a turd on wheels and it'll still sell because you want the SP4 and 5 and so on. That's the game and people voluntarily play it. I don't believe anyone who has critic'd the car here doubts it'll sell. However, that could also be part of the problem. Ferrari could very well feel it doesn't matter what they come out with ... it'll sell. It wouldn't be far-fetched to believe Ferrari might be a bit lackadaisical in meeting design expectations. They might feel they can ask $3 mil for just "okay." Of course, this is all speculation and this could very well be the best they can do at this point in time. If it is, then it is what it is, but as huge fans of the Ferrari brand, the last thing we want is to say they hit it out the park, when they didn't. That would only encourage more of the same. Monzas are superb to my eyes and they deserve all the praise for them. You take praise, you take criticism... that's life. No company is untouchable. Ferrari is a powerhouse and nothing said here is going to affect their bottom line. We simply hope they are paying some attention and kick it up a notch or two for the next projects. The better the cars, the better it is for everyone passionate about the brand.... for buyers and admirers. We want them to be the best and we want to part of it.

Personally, I feel as of late designs have not been to my liking, but you won't see me in those threads offering much criticism. Who cares if the SF90 doesn't look good? Not me. This one hits a little different. This was suppose to be THE modern reference to the one and only 330 p3/4 ... arguably the most beautiful Ferrari race car ever. You only get one chance at that. So for me, this wasn't a simple "hey it's not for me, have a nice day" thing. Not that I could afford one anyways, but it would be nice to fantasize of a p3/4 road car that can be bought someday if enough personal success is found. I just find the marketing tactics and no reference to the 250 P5 to be gimmicky and bit disingenuous. To each their own of course.

We only have this thread to make our criticisms known. It hasn't even been a full week :). Once the cars start delivering to owners, it'll be all praise from there. This isn't meant to be criticism of owners or those who like it, so please don't take it personal. Just trying to set the bar higher for a brand we love and want to stand behind.

Senad, Mj_1963217, Maggio23 and 6 others like this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    horrendous, like everything else since the 458

21. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No problem with this and your comment and criticism is well said, completely fair and actually informative and useful explaining why you feel the way you do. This I like!

I’m not opposed to the criticism. It’s the militant aggressive constant repetitive (and frankly often dopey) statements that offer no value other than for the poster to get out some built up childhood trauma (or whatever is going on) that I’m referring to.

Also, if people really think this is the end of Ferrari then it kinda contradicts their logic that “Ferrari can just throw junk out the door and people will buy it” (because if that were true then it wouldn’t be the end)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11, jm2 and ShineKen like this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yet another Ferrari destined to a life of being stuck inside a climate controlled storage facility. Pity really.

23. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I can confirm at least one won’t be! I just checked and not driving it is actually against the law in 59 countries.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #624 Albert-LP, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    And I want to remind this: when you buy a Ferrari, then you can do what you want with the car. You can leave it in a box forever, you can drive it every day, you can use is as a lorry or even burn it: It's called "private property".

This said, I like much more this Icona than the other previous two: the two Monza are very good looking, but a bit too much "icona" without a tech sheet that can explain the tag price. This one does and can be driven also when it rains cats and dogs (and without wearing an helmet).

Ciao

isot, fil, Caeruleus11 and 6 others like this.
  25. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Don’t think so. The car is 2m EUR in Italy with 22% VAT. Without taxes and converted to USD it is 1.9m…On top of that you need to add taxes in the US and options…Hard to hit $3m

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.