The official Daytona SP3 Thread! | Page 31 | FerrariChat

The official Daytona SP3 Thread!

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by Jonathan19, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Blacking out the strakes at the front reduces the fussiness of these for sure. Too bad they put the strakes there in the first place as that area would be nice painted body colour.

The worst detail is the body side. Here’s a quick re-do to show how good (in my opinion) the car would look with that area smoothed out. I find it would reinforce the 512 S look though at the detriment of claiming P3/P4 heritage—a claim I find tenuous at best as it is.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mthompson2376, Makuono, ohno and 2 others like this.
  2. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello everyone! For the first time I had the pleasure of seeing a new Ferrari the day after the day of the presentation. I had the pleasure of observing it closely and touching it. Finally Daytona SP3!!

Let's start with the interior: they are simply perfect. As for the exterior, at first glance she has a complex thread, but very very suggestive and in some ways "courageous" even if I don't like this adjective. I see it very close to the P5, the 512S, I see the Modulo, in short, all the various P of the 60s. The plan view has a lot of the 330 P3/4. Best of all, it's not a new P3/4 like the P4/5. It's new. Unpublished. A new P, like the Monza is a new Barchetta.
    Between Rosso Magma and Bianco Italia Opaco, I prefer red. Although white helps in reading. As for the side, from the cabin to the tip of the exhausts, I find it perfect. The rear view is simply gorgeous. The theme of the blades is suggestive and successful, although I don't deny that it "loads" it a little. I'd be curious to see it without, smooth. But this is impossible because the concept of "phantom volume" would be completely lost and two large holes would appear to let the hot air escape. The front is a square thread, but it still works. Especially without stripes/livery. In practice, it has the Monza headlights that rest on a carbon blade, with an eyelid that rises and falls. In the lower part there are those blades that visually close the car and connect to the rear.
    In movement it is disarming, powerful, elegant. 3/4 sinuous and streamlined, almost a longtail. Gorgeous.
    The defects. Two: the 5 studs for fixing the rims - of which I asked for information, receiving confused answers mixed with marketing choices - and the windshield. From the way they modified it, they could have somehow eliminated the main riser. I believe that there is nothing impossible. Maybe there were safety/homologation/cost problems.

However it remains a fantastic object.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #753 furmano, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    To truly be able to judge the design of an automobile, one has to see it in the flesh, at full scale. Just the way it is.

Describing the design as "courageous" is a good way of putting it.

Ferrari Design should push the conventional notions what is "good design" and if some surfaces need to be pushed and pulled further than the norm, so be it. Ferrari's designers need to be courageous, while having reverence for what has come before.

We've seen this before, the testarossa, the Enzo, now the Daytona. New design languages, almost to the point of shocking. Let's see where it settles.

Red does seem to suit this model the best. A white P-car feels kind of off. Great point on the 5-studded wheel. That is a negative.

4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I agree that Ferrari Design should push the envelope of design convention and not recycle old designs with retro themes but ultimately the new design should look right and wow the audience for the right reasons. Bad design with awkward reflections and tacky strakes everywhere is not a good look.

The other element to strive for in a good design—especially for a highly technical product that is a 200 mph car—is some semblance of aero-driven form following function. Instead, the focus on this car—and some recent cars—is more to do with an interplay of geometrical shapes and forms, almost like the objective was more a cubist painting than a car. Hopefully the next hypercar will be more true to the spirit of the racing LMh that is expected to be the inspiration for it.

Speaking of the next hypercar, that one will probably move away from the 5-bolt wheels but for the Daytona the 5-bolt wheel attachment is really not a surprise as this is a more practical solution and probably is also due to maintaining commonality (re-using for cost?) with other models’ suspension systems including the uprights/hubs. You’ll note that also the Monzas and the recent 812C use a 5-bolt wheel mounting arrangement.

5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Slightly disagree on the first part but I have to say I am technically incompetent with the car design in general.
    Car should be interesting in the flesh I imagine.

Hope the next hypercar won’t be a Valkyrie lookalike.

elmadi, Caeruleus11 and ingegnere like this.
  6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #756 furmano, Nov 28, 2021
    The technical critique of the design in this thread has some validity but ultimately is misplaced because it focuses on specific details extracted from a 2D source, while losing the big picture of how the surfaces and details work on the whole, in actual 1:1 3D. The design establishes some new surface treatments that haven't been seen before in a car design. Maybe it works in the flesh when taken in as a whole, maybe not.

I happen to like the strakes and think they're fun and expressive and I'm happy to see them back in a Ferrari design.

In my opinion, the design template for the LM prototype cars over the last decade or so is quite awkward looking, way worse than the Daytona.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I hope these exaggerated non-conventional wheel arches isn’t a new Ferrari trend. Reminds me of Countachs and Diablos where they look exaggerated for speed from a side profile, but if you catch them at different angles, they start looking crooked along with uneven gapping against tire.

When you look back, it was certainly a try-hard attempt by Lamborghini to set a trend, but does not stand the test of time for beautiful curvature.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

perrinnation and werewolf like this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Personally, I have doubts about the rumoured connection between the next road going hypercar and the LMh. LMh are basically prototypes, despite their name, thus their design won't translate well to a road car, unless they go for a prototype for the road, which they have already dismissed as an idea.

Unlike you, I am not an engineer, but I believe that the upright is not a problem, since the 911 GTS offers a single-bolt wheels option, with the same suspension as the 5-bolt wheels. On a side note, single-bolt wheels are a real PITA! A mate of mine once had a flat in the middle of the night during a trip, had his 911 towed to a 24 hours tyre shop, only for them to throw in the towel, as they were unable to undo the bolt. They had to order a special wrench extension the next day, so my mate had to find a hotel to spend the night, in a city 300 miles from his home. Crazy stuff!

Senad and ingegnere like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #759 ingegnere, Nov 28, 2021
    I agree. If the next road “hypercar” will be in any way connected to the LMh race car it will probably only have some link in its name or some styling cues. I don’t believe the homologation rules require a road version anymore (at least one with the exact specs) and I doubt Ferrari will make a road-going version of a race car especially, if for example, they decide the best ICE is a 4-cylinder, say.

For sure, though, the new car will have some advanced tech, maybe borrowed from the LMh car because, per the CTO, “A supercar is the pinnacle of technology. When we produce a new supercar, we always introduce new technology.”

That’s crazy, and why I wrote the 5-bolt arrangement is more practical. As for reusing existing components, it’s more finance than engineering. Yes, a hub could be adapted to center lug but it’s cheaper to leave it as is and reuse existing wheels designs, too. ;)

jpalmito, Caeruleus11 and REALZEUS like this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Considering most don’t carry a spare wheel in their cars anyways, the tow was a given. Only real issue your friend had was he didn’t keep a centerlock torque wrench kit with him, which he should have brought with him for long trips far away from home. They offer compact ones in the market for not much money.

For a $2 mil Ferrari, it better come with centerlocks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

REALZEUS likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, now he knows better. But he has sold the car anyway... LOL!

ShineKen likes this.
  12. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    You have missed the whole point. It is not a hypercar. Its an ICONA its meant to take design language from a set model or era and make a modern tribute so to speak.

perrinnation likes this.
  13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Actually, you missed the point of my comment which was in response to the post I quoted.

Even if this is an Icona—and as such, inspired by some classic cars of the past— Ferrari have not (and never really do) a “retro” design in the vein of a VW Beetle or the recent Lamborghini Countach. They also don’t carry over old “design language” like, for example, what Aston Martin do with the step-down at each side of the hood that they use on practically every car.

This quest for something new and different in new designs is something Ferrari Design—and Pininfarina before—do and why their designs are fresh, unpredictable and not stale. My point, if you read the post, was that’s all good and fine but there are certain basic rules of good design that should not be overlooked, like a surface that reflects light badly. And specifically the area I’m talking about has nothing to do with old “design language”; it’s a novel design feature only seen on this car.

Senad likes this.
  14. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    My understanding is Ferrari have already stated that the LMh program will have nothing to do with the next Hypercar (Which is only about 12 - 18 months away so will already have its design and technology locked in). I am sure in time Ferrari will do some sort of limited run road or track cars based of the Lmh

ingegnere and JagShergill like this.
  15. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #765 day355, Nov 28, 2021
    Absolutely, the two projects are independent, the two cars have nothing to do with each other, and for good reason...

Caeruleus11, jpalmito, 9nb and 3 others like this.
  16. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009
    multivac, spyderman, TheF1BOB and 4 others like this.
  17. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. Karimsaid

Karimsaid Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor

Oct 2, 2014
    Yes: 300km/hr.
    Over 250 km/h: at least 300 different times
    And, yes, driving hard and a hard car. And not once did I want to put the roof on. So fantastic it was.

tomc, spyderman, elmadi and 1 other person like this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    … and none of those had a GT-R front end :).

ingegnere likes this.
  20. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Differents engines?

22. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Yes nobody used v12 n/a for endurance race

23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    No one knows right now if the next hypercar will have a V12.

24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yet no mention of the most obvious inspiration—especially at the rear—used by Daytona, the 250 P5 Pininfarina Concept…

Senad, ShineKen, werewolf and 4 others like this.