The official MP4-12C Thread | FerrariChat

The official MP4-12C Thread

Discussion in 'British' started by Superquant, Feb 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Lets get this party poppin'.

For discussion of options, specs, and anything and all related to this new car.

2. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    I'm IN!!!!!

So far - I am leaning Volcano Orange with Superlight wheels in grey/CF diffuser etc etc.

Then I thought why not go with Ice Silver with Alum interior/stock wheels. So confused.

Then my buddy texts me and says get a CGT!! LOL.

3. Superquant

Superquant Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Ice silver looks good on the configurator. It would be real useful to see a bunch more real world shots of the colors, I imagine we will start seeing more as the UK deliveries start next month or so.

Personally I might be going with Carbon Black with the all black look. Had a black car once and said would never do that again but I think it looks appropriate on this one. Or orange .. silver would work too but my 458 is silver so need to switch it up.

CGT is a nice fantasy play but the real world usability will be much more limited, especially with its ridiculously low ride height and nose. Don't let a text message dissuade you.

4. sumbaco

sumbaco Karting

Jun 21, 2008
    I love the car in black. Very aggressive. I also happen to like dirty black cars. You can tell the car has been used.

5. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #5 fasthound, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm definitely going with alum vs carbon fiber interior. If it doesn't save weight, I don't see the reason for carbon fiber...it seems so yesterday to me. The sills in carbon probably add weight since they are a cap vs polishing the tub in that area. I've asked if the factory will do leather instead of the crappy looking carpet on the sills that is standard....no response yet.

So far this is how I'm leaning:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. lazerblu

lazerblu Karting

Feb 15, 2011
    God's Own County, UK
    Ain't life a ***** ;)

7. krzys@earthlink.net

[email protected] Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    Volcano orange
    Forged wheels, shadow finish
    Carbon interior
    Iris
    Probably no cf diffusers too damage prone in track duty.

Putting my specs in this Saturday.

8. lazerblu

lazerblu Karting

Feb 15, 2011
    God's Own County, UK
    Good spec, agree about the CF diffusers, having to shell out £2/3K every time you get a little enthusiastic driving over a speed bump could become wearing!

What about the lighter and louder exhaust ?

9. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    Yeah, I forgot. Definitely, taking it.

10. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Based on what I've been able to put together, the lightest optioned car would have carbon fiber splitter and diffuser and seatbacks (and standard vs electric seats obviously), super-lightweight forged wheels, lightweight exhaust, and ceramics....all to save approximately 35 kg (77 lbs) at a cost of USD $34,560. Roughly $450/lb for 77 pounds. Don't think you save any weight from carbon interior or sills...not sure about the front wheel arches or engine bay pieces....so maybe it ends up at $500-$550/lb.

Compared to some of the bits of kit that Ferrari sells, this seems almost reasonable.

11. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    #11 NSXLuvr, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Yeah - I was trying to be as light as possible. But I quickly realized the CF bits are quite expensive for the few pounds they save. $2200 for side view mirrors in CF. No thnx!!

Btw - IIRC Carrera GT's had significant discoloration issues on the CF. I am hoping McLaren has taken care of those issues.

12. lazerblu

lazerblu Karting

Feb 15, 2011
    God's Own County, UK
    If I remember correctly, the main 2 weight savings options are ultra lightweight wheels (12kg) and carbon seats (8kg).

To be honest I think the average driver would be hard pushed to feel the difference on public roads. The wheels would have the biggest impact as they would reduce unsprung weight.

As I see it the C/F bits are mainly cosmetic, and the steel brakes are actually lighter than the carbon option.

It would be interesting to see a +/- weight figure for each option.

13. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I asked, via my dealer, for that exact information over a week ago...no response to date. Have also asked about various other little things....no response to date. You'd almost think they were taking a page from Ferrari's book on ignoring the customer :)

I think they are too early in the process to have the customer service stuff figured out. I personally think there is no excuse for it, but it's the only other conclusion I care to draw. If I don't use that rationalization then the only other answer is that they don't give a crap! Wondering which is closer to the truth. Ron is, after all, almost stereotypical GERMAN in his approach to precision and doing it his way. "You will take it this way and you will like it!!"

Given that they talked so much in interviews about a great customer experience, to date, they have sucked at it in my opinion.

Not looking for anyone to kiss my ass, but come on....a little customer service would go a long way here.

But I still dutifully gave them my deposit....I am such a car slut.

14. ParkCity360Spider

Sep 20, 2010
    Park City, Ut
    Full Name:
    Tim M
    I think they are getting trained on the car in the next week or so according to Erik at POTML. They don't actually have much more info than what they've already given us.

I don't know about you, but I assumed this thing would creep up to $300k by the time it was all spec'd out and so far I'm either @ $303k or $297k depending how much CF I add or leave off. I can't wait to see (and drive) the car so I can figure out the real value proposition of some of the trim options.

I too am a car slut. ;)

15. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #15 fasthound, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    The questions I'm posing are going across the pond for answers....but answers are not coming back. The POTML guys don't have the answers and maybe they haven't had time to learn it all, although being a car guy I would have asked all of those questions already so that when my customers asked, I'd have the answers. I've always been customer service oriented (ran an engineering company for many years and am still the Board Chair) and have always TRIED (not always been successful at it) to be in front of my customers in terms of knowing more than they did about the topic at hand. I am always stunned when I know more about the cars than the guys trying to sell them to me. You would think that by now I would have gotten used to it, but it still amazes me. What is actually an issue for me is that McLaren doesn't seem to have a grasp on the whole customer service thing...they've been selling this car to the public since they formally announced it in Sept 2009. You would have thought they'd had enough time to get their act together and to have things like factory tours and factory delivery programs already all figured out....that's what I would have done. Instead, the PR/customer service departments have been very underwhelming whenever I've dealt with them. I find it all very unfortunate and disappointing so far. I am not enjoying the experience much so far, and that is tempering my excitement for the car. It's just not what I had expected, especially having watched the early interviews where the McLaren honchos were talking about the ownership experience and how it was going to be different. Yeah, OK, but I thought different was supposed to mean BETTER in this case...not inadequate.

Bottom line is that if they can't manage to allow me to visit Woking and look at the cars in real life in various colors and fabrics, etc., then I will be getting my money back. I mean really...how freakin' hard is it to let a bloke who wants....WANTS...to spend $300K on your product wander around the facility for a few hours? I won't even bring any recording devices! Really...how hard?

Just not feeling the love.

I said to my wife today that I should just buy a Vette and go build my own engine in Detroit which is what they allow you to do. THAT'S customer service....you pay for it....but that is just a total car guy immersion experience if you ask me. And Ron and his boys just don't seem to get it. There are those of us that want to buy the car for the technology and the engineering....not just to show off to the neighbors that we can spend more than them.

So far any positive energy flowing from McLaren through the dealer to me is stunningly absent.

As I've said...I don't want someone to be sycophantic or kiss my ass....I just want them to recognize that it's important to some of us to be able to wallow in the engineering and the brilliance of the car and to be able to see it before plunking down 300G's. Hell, I'm not asking to drive it first...(although I'd sure LIKE to)...I just want to see it in the different variations so I'll know how to spec it. And I want to know the weight of the options for the same reason. Some will be worth the money, others not. I am all about functionality, not just the looks.

I am such an engineering geek I guess.

But at this point, I know the experience I am looking for, and if McLaren just cannot offer it, so be it.

Either they get it, or they don't and all evidence to date says they don't.

That all being said.....I WANT ONE!

16. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    I know it's kinda dumb, but I like the look of cf mirrors and I am gonna go for it.

Have not heard the CGT stories. Where does it show up?

17. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    I very much agree on the customer service so far. Very passive and non-responsive. They find out info about the car from me, which is such a typical modus operandi of some Ferrari/Maserati dealers, but I hoped for better here.

18. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
  19. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    What is the big deal about IRIS - I don't understand where the ~$7k is going. Don't get me wrong I like a nice sound system BUT $7K?

20. lazerblu

lazerblu Karting

Feb 15, 2011
    God's Own County, UK
    This is from a Mclaren press release.

"The McLaren-developed IRIS option is available as an upgrade to the telematics system and allows use of voice control to access a navigation system while driving. Hard drive capacity increases to 80GB, while users can access a picture and media viewer and email. WLAN connectivity allows owners to remotely transfer music and other data files from a laptop or PC when parked within range. The IRIS option includes a seven-speaker Meridian surround sound system."

I would also imagine the track pack option, would require the Iris system, when, or if it becomes available.

21. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I see you are in Connecticut. I assume you are dealing with Phillip at Miller McLaren? He used to run the Aston Martin dealership in the DC area. A decent guy, but definitely of the passive variety. I bought a brand new Vantage from them....Aston Martin NA bought it back from me after a month...too many problems to describe...was just a lemon car from the start. I will say that Phillip was decent during the entire fiasco.

22. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Damn, we need some pictures of these colour combos in the wild. The configurator just isn't doing it for me. The colours in the configurator don't even look accurate to me, when compared to the few real life pics that exist. Every day, I do a search on google images for new pics but there's nothing out there.

Regarding the flow of information, I think the dealers just don't have it, yet. I have also asked for weight comparison data and other info. It is frustrating, but as prospective customers I believe we should be more demanding. It is a brand new company, they are learning much of this as they go along. So, tell your dealer exactly what you expect so they can relay to Woking. It will be doing us all a favour! :)

23. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    Re: Iris - I am very skeptical of this option. It's a Microsoft operating system, no? Plus, I have never seen a nav system that hasn't become dated in less than 2 years. I wish they would have just made some sort of interface to iPhone for all that stuff. In a few years, even 80 GB is going to feel like f**k-all. My gen 1 iPad has 64GB.

24. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
  25. krzys@earthlink.net

Oct 9, 2007
    Darien, ct
    Full Name:
    Krzysztof
    Yes, they all age very quickly, still, I think I am gonna take it. I think you need it for the track-pack retrofit.