The Official OpenFlash ECU Tuning Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Official OpenFlash ECU Tuning Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by OpenFlash Performance, Mar 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    A while back I did some pre and post tune 60-130 testing that I documented here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/546109-vbox-testing-our-458-ecu-flash.html

After that I installed headers and cat deletes but the combination was much too loud for me. So I swapped out the cat deletes for 200 cell cats and I couldn't be happier. When I find an evening with similar tesdting conditions (it's gotten much warmer now) I'll take it back out for testing. It has certainly picked up good power (and sound) with the exhaust mods. Looking forward to quantifying acceleration improvements again.

2. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Thanks for the kind words! Let me know if want to try any different mapping or test anything. New tune files are just an email away :)

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Will do! Thanks Shiv! :)

4. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Thanks! Very good improvement for this engine.
    Waiting for headers+200cel measures.

5. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Quick update on the idle control tables: it work as I hoped! Even thought its was a change that I never considered for my own car, after testing a 1000rpm idle target for a customer who requested it, I'm going to keep it! Not only does it make idle smoother, it also improves off-idle tip-in response while also making stop/go driving more pleasant (less jerky).

So I will definitely be adding this option for other customers who want to test it out.

Cheers
    Shiv

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Hey Shiv, Thanks for the idle adjustment works as expected as do the other mods for my 458.
    Great to have someone out here that can fine tune an already wonderful engine.

7. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #32 OpenFlash Performance, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys,
    Just wanted to share some updates. Over the last couple of months, we have tuned several 458s. And more scheduled for the next two weeks (including a Speciale). One customer brought his 2015 Spider to the ship last week for a tune. His car was already equipped with a beautiful Akrapovic exhaust with HF cats. He though it car sounded nice before the update, here's what he had to say about it after (he wrote a review for our website):

"When I found this company online I was a bit skeptical because I was used to companies like Fabspeed, Capristo and so on. Felt comfortable dealing with them on my Ferrari needs. However, being a natural risk taker I reached out to OpenFlash and got a quick response from Shiv. Within 5 minutes I realized Shiv and OpenFlash are the real deal. We set up the appointment to have my Ferrai tuned at his shop in Hayward. The process was easy and thorough. Shiv backed up my ECU’s and flashed with new updates containing all of the custom settings we discussed. The results were night and day and I am thrilled. I truly did not think an average guy like me would be able to feel a difference but I was wrong. It is awesome and the car goes from pure awesome to insane awesome. Most important was that the crappy jerk you feel on deceleration was gone and replaced with this amazing gurgling of my Akrapovic exhaust. No more hard jerks back and forth on decel. OpenFlash is a legit player in the Ferrai space. Proceed with confidence and make your amazing Ferrai even more amazing."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #33 OpenFlash Performance, Aug 7, 2017
  9. edgramir

edgramir Rookie

Dec 6, 2015
    After taking a spirited drive in my OpenFlash tuned 458 Spider my buddy made his appointment with Shiv to get his car tuned with OpenFlash. He couldn't believe how much better my tuned car ran compared to his. My buddy runs cat less IPE exhaust which sounds insane but he was blown away with the decel sound my 458 makes with high flow cats. The burbling smooths out the decel and sounds incredible. Shiv is the real deal on Ferrari performance tunes. The incredible part about OpenFlash is that Shiv is going to send me a new file that will upload to my car that will give me a HP bump. All without having to take out my ECU's and send them out. Way cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Goplay

Goplay Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2012
    Northern CA
    Have you done anything with a 488?

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I for one would LOOOOOOVE to see (hear!) a video of this car at full cry!! :) :) :)

Shiv did a tune on my '10 Italia and I love it! I'm running 200 cell cats and the OE Sport Exhaust... will be adding headers soon as well! :)

Looking forward to the vid!!

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Need to hear a video of this one running.... !!! :) :)

13. edgramir

edgramir Rookie

Dec 6, 2015
    I will post a video later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Looking forward to it!

15. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Glad you are enjoying the tunes Ed! Pleasure meeting you! Working on some updates for you :)

16. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Glad you are still enjoying your tune! I'll be mapping an Speciale next week. So now there is no reason why we can't tune yours :)

17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Adding pops and run-on to it?

18. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    I've looked a the 488 ECU calibration and everything looks quite straight forward. Same ECU used in the new Alfa Romeo Guilia which i've already played around with. Unfortunately, I don't have a 488 myself so I'd need a willing local participant to work with on this project.

19. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    But of course.

20. deshapiro

deshapiro Karting

Sep 25, 2015
    I know there is no such thing as an undetectable tune. I'm currently looking at 458's that are CPO'd and qualify for the powertrain warranty. Can your's be flashed back to stock for any service visits and then reflashed to the. custom tune? If so, is it complicated?

Thanks
    David

21. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    Flashing back to stock takes about 20min a few taps of the OFT touchscreen. Super easy. Nothing at all complicated about it :)

22. edgramir

edgramir Rookie

Dec 6, 2015
    Here is a video with Akrapovic titanium exhaust with high flow cats and performance tune by OpenFlash. This video doesn't really capture the deceleration burbles and pops but it does give a pretty good idea of the Akrapovic sound. I will also upload something that does capture the decel. I hope you enjoy, it was fun making it. I hope this link works.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MpaIhQKi9M

23. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #48 OpenFlash Performance, Aug 22, 2017
    Hi guys,
    We just had a beautiful 2015 Italia dropped off the other day for a full tune job (burbles, more power, cold start disable, etc,.) We haven't done a 2015 before so we didn't have this particular calibration in our database. This meant we had to pull the ECUs (1hr job), open them up and read the calibration data from the board.

Once that was done, we had to dig through the code and identify/define all the relevant tuning tables.

Then the ECUs were sealed up and re-installed. After the OEM calibration was added to our online server database, we installed the OpenFlash Tablet and wrote the first tune file to the ECUs (through the diagnostic port under the steering wheel).

And the result are delightful. More power, more midrange torque. Complete elimination of the on/off jerkiness from decel to neutral throttle. Cold start is smoother with less RPM rise. Transmission shifts smoother. And nice burbles/crackles during decel and downshifts.

Later that night, we had a profession photographer come over to test out his $60k Phase One camera. I'll post up those pics once they are processed. You guys will really like them.

Car will be picked up tonight and then we can work with the customer is customizing the tune further to his liking. He is moving to Texas so getting a new tune to him is as easy as sending an email :)

24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Very nice! Thanks for the update Shiv!