The Official Super Bowl LIII thread-- NE Patriots vs LA Rams 2019 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Official Super Bowl LIII thread-- NE Patriots vs LA Rams 2019

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Jan 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It was not competitive. Not one bit. The RAMS looked lost all game, despite the score being 3-0 for most of the game NE completely dominated them. The 3-0 halftime score was VERY misleading.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree, but I have to confess that I was worried that one fluke play and the Rams could put up 7 points.

I'm not sure what was wrong with Brady for most of the game. Maybe he wanted too much and was tight, and maybe Donald and Suh & Co. got to him. I also couldn't figure out his determination to throw to Hogan, he was never open on any of his passes. If Brady had been on this game it would have been over in the 1st half.

3. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I understand your position as a Pats fan, and it is nerve wracking considering it was only 3-0 most of the game....but as an outsider I had no doubt in my mind the Pats were going to win BEFORE the game and during it.

I knew McVay doesn’t have what it takes (not yet) to win after watching the KC-Rams game Monday night. His decisions and play calling are questionable and it showed last night.

McVay was not going to out coach Belichick

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I agree. I thought it was a good game. I told my wife that the first team to make a good play or a mistake was going to win or lose this game. Unfortunately, for the Rams, the Pats made the former, Goff the latter...T

Lotaz likes this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    True, but how many times have we seen a team not capitalize on scoring opportunities early in the game, and then pay for it later? In theory, Rams D kept them in the game for 58 or so minutes. One lucky play or Pats defensive blunder, and it's a different game. But, in practice, Rams O couldn't capitalize thanks to McVay being out coached, Goff not being up to the task, and Gurley going AWOL...T

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That was my fave.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agree

8. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This only applies when the other team scores. The Rams never threatened to score - not offensively, not defensively, and not on special teams - until it was far too late in the game

tomc likes this.
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I guess the one thing you could take from this game is at the highest level, scoring isn't always so easy. It was a defensive showcase, which might seem boring to some, but it is good to know points in football aren't easy to come by. I personally think that is refreshing considering defensive rules have softened over the years.

Texas Forever, Lotaz and tomc like this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Didn't they almost have a touchdown pass late in the 3rd quarter when the Pats only had 3 pts?

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That is correct. They would have taken the lead at that point, in spite of having been comprehensively outplayed most of the game. That's why I felt that the game was competitive.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I know a lot of people who think that a New England defensive player should have been MVP, possibly either Hightower or Gilmore. But we know that defensive players almost never win that award.

(Does anyone remember when Chuck Howley won the MVP award in Super Bowl V, even though his team (Dallas) ultimately lost the game?)

13. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah - that no call pass interference completely swung the game. The Rams D were excellent and kept them in the game. Too bad Goff completely stunk it up and McVay couldn’t muster any change in scheme or personnel to make an offensive impact.

14. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I really enjoyed the game contrary to most. Both defenses played really good. To me it was exciting although to most it was a boring game.

I watched the game at Dave and Busters in Hollywood. There were a lot of Rams fans but I was surprised how many Pats fans there were as well.

15. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Key words are "late in the third" and "almost"

Seriously now, IF the Rams score there to make it 7-3, is there a doubt in anyone's mind that Brady isn't going to lead his team down for the winning score? No lead is safe when it comes to Brady.

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'll tell you that the horrendous call for holding after Gurley ran 13 yards into NE territory was one that also swung the game. Even Romo thought it was a terrible call. I'm also not surprised. The call, which came out of nowhere as far as the way the game was being officiated, came at a time when the score was 3-3 in the 4th quarter when the Rams actually found a rythm and were moving the ball. That call killed their drive and momentum, and the rest is academic.

Agree. If I was McVay, I would have started calling 3-4 yard dump-offs (dink and dunk I think they call it) because nothing else was working, and it would have kept the NE defense off of Goff

17. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Boys. Just dropping by. I didn't watch the game but I can state with unlimited confidence that the Eagles would have killed both of those teams in LIII.

Lotaz and tomc like this.
  18. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You aren't far off. They definitely would have killed the Rams (but, any team would have, and that's not limiting my list to NFL teams :D)

Lotaz and tomc like this.
  19. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Go Lions!

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree that the holding call that negated Gurley's run could have been called on most other plays in the game. I'm not so sure if it wasn't called that the Rams would have gotten another first down.

On your second point about calling dunk offs, I also agree. I think McVay was just overwhelmed by the moment. If you watch Inside the NFL and listen to the audio of both coaches, you'll see that McVay still has a lot to learn yet. In 15 or 20 years we may compare him to Belichick, but not right now.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would have relished a rematch!

But it was not to be.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wrong thread, dude!
    I lit the fire on the "NFL 2019" thread this morning!
    T

Lotaz likes this.