The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by El Wayne, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Awesome...!

(Uh... even though i have absolutely no idea what i'm looking at...:))

2. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    DES,

You're looking at P4 Brake Ducts. :D

Cheers

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ko's,uprights,calipers rotors, stub axles, brake ducts.
    You're looking at peices of history.

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    And the remains of a ?sprint car in the background?? Mebbe a Kurtis? hmmmm...
    Lee

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Lee
    That's John Hajduk Jr's shop. He restores a lot of them. The bodies are Mag! The guys who can do this work are few and far between.
    Best
    Jim

6. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Hey, at least my eyes haven't gone ;^)
    You think the heat paint will work for you? I suspect the uprights are stout enough 8^O

Lee

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm going to take a look at it before we lock them down. Those are the new uprights that Ferrari SPA cast. As I'm going to drive this one on the street I asked them to cast in alum. (I'm saving the original mag ones so when we run out of liquid hydrocarbons my heirs can put them back on and place the car in a Museam)

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, thanks, Taek, that was very helpful...:)

Mr. G., where's the engine during all of this...? Is it/was it/has it/will it be/been/being rebuilt...?
    Am i ahead of myself with that question...? Will "those" pictures follow at some point...?

9. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    I've just been getting caught up on the story of your P4 recently, and frankly its the most intriguing collection of posts I've come across here. That and the Mk. IV stories!

It must be so awesome to have such intimate knowledge of a car you own, especially a historic one with so much character. Driving a regular, mass produced car must feel so cheap compared to cars like your historics, kind of like being in a strip club versus being with a woman you're totally in love with!

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Des, Last I remember the engine was being dynoed, and was thus crated to where ever the engine gods are :)

Pete

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Pete is correct. The engine is fully rebuilt and tested. It was rebuilt by Alberto Pedretti and Bob Wallace. Sal Barone rebuilt the trans. It is back in my shop. Everything else should be back in my shop by the end of Jan.
    At that point it shouldn't be long.
    Best

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Who says I'm going to put this in a museum? No, sir. I'm going to drive it, just as (insert your deity here) intended!

13. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mr. G awesome. Can't wait to see the finished project. Maybe you will be infront of me at a stop light? :) how cool would that be......
    Erik

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, man, i can't wait...!!!

Actually, Eric's statement makes me wonder; will you register this beast as street legal like you did with J6 or will the P4 be track-only...? LOL, i couldn't imagine seeing a GT40 in traffic let alone a P4...!

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As it a 67 it's perfectly street legal and will be registered as such.
    Best

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    AWESOME...! i'll be camping out in your neighborhood, hoping to get glimpses of it in the wild... When will it be finished...? February...? i need to save up for another memory stick; no way will 500+ pictures be enough...! :)

17. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Hello Mr Glickenhaus

This is my first post to this forum, after some months of lurking for the sole purpose of following the progress of your P4.

First of all, infinite thanks for sharing this whole experience with us, and for taking so much trouble with pictures as well as technical points.

The Ferrari P series is my all-time favourite type of car, and I have tried over the years to keep track of the chassis numbers and where they are. The 'missing' number was always 0846, until I talked to David Piper in 1994 and he told me that he had, as well as his P4 '0900' assembled out of spares on a newer chassis, another P3 or P4 that he had bought directly from Ferrari through Piero Lardi-Ferrari: then I was sure that 0846 still existed, because all the other cars were known, and when he brought the car to the Goodwood Revival (when IIRC it had a P3 24-valve carb engine) I studied it closely and was convinced. May I ask, did it still have that engine when you bought it from David? I knew he had at least one P3 engine which he had fitted in his P2 because, as he said, all the other P2s have two-cam engines (but then again, he may have wanted the two-cam engine for his 'new' 365P 0818).

So congratulations, Sir; and when it is running once more I hope very much that we will see you in Great Britain again at the Goodwood Festival of Speed (I have taken the liberty of contacting Doug Nye via another forum and asking, nay begging, him to invite you).

Sincerely
    Paul Mackness

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    This is the car. I believe David purchased the remains of 0846 from Enzo Ferrari rather than Piero Lardi-Ferrari. He also purchased a P4 engine at that time with 3 valve heads and Lucas Mechanical fuel injection which was in the car when I bought it from him.
    Best
    Jim Glickenhaus

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    One of the parts i prefer in cars are the brakes..calipers , discs , etc..

Is it true that the Daytona has a P4 or very similar braking system?

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Hey Mr Glickenhaus - I was wondering if Ferrari corporate has any involvement in the restoration - if they know about it and are helping out with any info or anything. I would think that since this is such an historical car that they would love input into its restoration.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They are aware of it and they've helped me by recasting the uprights for me.

22. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Hey Jim,
    Not only is that history, but ART as well! I love the way the KO's look like a tripod for display. As always, thanks for sharing the pix.

What is the horseshoe-shaped piece laying on top of the Sharpie?

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I think that's scrap that he's using for shim material to hold the duct off of the rotor before locking them into the new uprights which came from Ferrari as rough unmachined castings.

24. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I went down to the garage to see if my daytona has a "P4 type" brake system. It doesnt, it uses a typical for the period brake system in the traditioal ferrari scheme. Doesnt even have a duct/hose to direct air toward the rotors. Of course the Daytona was never known for having good brakes. Just fine for the road but not up to much track work in stock form.

25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Thanks for clearing this ! I read it in a french mag some time ago...guess i wont be trusting that mag anymore :).

Congrats on the wonderful car !