The painting of GT4 - #10314 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The painting of GT4 - #10314

Discussion in '308/328' started by DavidDriver, Feb 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  2. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    absostone likes this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Dave im noticing that part of your wheel arch support is missing on the Passenger side???

5. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #56 DavidDriver, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Yes. It was either that way when I bought it, or, the shop that had it removed it because of rust; I don't know which.

As for the wheel-arch; that bottom edge looks pretty rough too. I'm not sure if I should patch or replace. The support on the back of the square framing piece has a couple of small holes; you can barely see one small one on the end. There's another small one just like it, down and to the left, and next to that, another one about twice that size. The very end of the square piece looks like it's cracked too.

This car spent a number of years up north in Napa, and later in Oregon, where they get a fair amount of rain. For the price this car was traded for back then, I doubt they paid much attention to what the future might bring ;), if they drove it in the rain.

Before that it was in NY and Florida, and before that in NY and in Reading, PA, where it was orignally bought. The rockers were replaced (and it was given a proper Connolly leather interior) 88-89, around the time when Enzo Ferrari died. So it's had rust issues looked at before too.

6. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Thank you! :D

Yes, big difference.

7. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #59 DavidDriver, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    So I've found a body shop to complete the work - Exclusive Image, here in Santa Clarita - PainterShane, who is new here on FChat, is who I have working with to decide what I will do (like the soda-blasting) and what he will do, to complete the job.

Thank you Prancinghorse619. I think you're the one who gave me his number.

The inner-bottom-front-portion of the left wheel-well needs to be R&R'd. It was done before, as you can see the tack welds along the upper seam. So replacing that will take care of the pin-holes at the bottom too. I believe I will also need to replace the wheel-arch support as you mentioned, "part of your wheel arch support is missing on the Passenger side", Mike.

You're correct too MIke when you say, ..."And keep everything cool."

To accomplish that, I made sure the that Exclusive Image can also do MIG brazing, which can be used to attach that piece and fill all the small holes, left from removing rust, and perform any other welding needs while keeping the surrounding area much cooler (2/3rds) the heat from regular MIG welding.

For those who have never heard of MIG "brazing", here is a link to a good article that explains it is:

https://rts.i-car.com/collision-repair-news/mig-brazing-what-is-it-why-should-i-use-it.html

Attached Files:

absostone likes this.
  8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well it looks like you have everything lined up. Thx for the link I’ll check it out

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh and don’t do like most guys that have a car restored and then start washing it with a hose. And all that water goes to all the same places that were just fixed and the cycle starts all over again

10. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    We can put that one right next to the "Why to keep the RPM low on your Ferrari until, both, the engine and the transmission are warmed-up!"

Yet, I'd still put both below the "Never expect to work on your Ferrari without bleeding from somewhere!"

From now-on, every time someone rhetorically asks, "Oh, so you have a Ferrari?"

I'll reply, "Yes; in fact, I bleed red" :p

Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone likes this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ferraris are Vampires they want blood, Hence all the Red cars and Knuckles!

DavidDriver likes this.
  12. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Good one!

So why is it that knuckles bleed more than other areas?

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    cause they are closest to the wrench and closest to the impact point?? Or really because its a movable joint? Or really because so it can annoy you, just after you finally got the nut loose and then your are in to much pain to really get the part out? Maybe all of the above

DavidDriver likes this.
  14. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    I had both the air-compressor and the trailer (AV Equipment Rentals were great, btw. They provided a trailer at no charge) stored in the garage behind the car, because I was uncomfortable leaving both/either in the driveway, and I was in a rush to get both back early this morning.

Having opened the garage door and moved the trailer 1/2-way out onto the driveway, I backed the SUV into the driveway and quickly re-attached the ball. I then quickly turned to grabbed the trailer and started it rolling towards the ball, when I noticed that I'd put the ball on upside-down! :eek:

Instinctively (don't you just love that word? It serves as a wonderful sounding justification for all kinds of really stupid stuff!), I stuck my left hand in front of the hitch to stop what was--by any rational measure--way too heavy to stop quickly enough to smash anything put in-between the two to stop a collision between the hitch and the ball or--worse!--the hitch and the car.

Rule #1: Never work alone.
    Rule #2: Never ever rush to get something done.

I could justify breaking #1. But not #2.

....another one for the "How not to...." thread! :p

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    lucky it wasn't much worst

16. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    Yes. I thought, "surely it's broken", when I did it. But the hitch slipped up and into my palm, and by what-I-don't-know, probably adrenaline, I was able to keep it from hitting the back door of the SUV.

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    well luckily its all good. don't rush, yea I know its easy to say.