The Provenance of 0353 AL - 375 America (1958 to 1974) | FerrariChat

The Provenance of 0353 AL - 375 America (1958 to 1974)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 375america, Oct 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #1 375america, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After my father died in 2001, my brother and I sorted through his effects and found a large trove of original documents (brochures, owner's manual, letters, pictures, negatives and books) relating to his purchase, importation, restoration and ownership of the captioned Ferrari from July 1, 1958, until June 15, 1974, when it was sold and transported to Wayne Golomb. I came across an article my father had apparently written in 1963 and submitted March 19, 1970, to the Ferrari Club of America newsletter entitled "Ordeal by Auto." In the cover letter (which I believe is addressed to Ed Niles, then president), he makes reference to a "Part 2," which I have yet to find. I have been trying to locate this Ferrari since 2002, intermittently checking in on various Ferrari websites. In 2003, I drove up to Tom Shaughnessy's shop in San Clemente to show him some of the material I had, some of which he photographed, in hopes he could direct me to the current owner.
    On May 22, 2013, I finally received confirmation from Marcel Massini that the car "is part of a huge private collection (with over 200 cars) in Asia. The current long term owner, with whom I have almost daily contact, is not interested in paperwork or documentation." My thanks to Granucci (Ferrari Life) for pointing me in the right direction (http://www.***********.com/forums/ferrari-discussion/10649-pictures-375-america-vignale.html) and to another member of the forum who introduced me to the term "provenance",which up until then had not been in my vocabulary. This will be my first thread on Ferrari chat, so bear with me as I am not that familiar with the mechanics and protocol. My first post (if size allows) will be copies of "Ordeal By Auto" and a few pictures. All documents and pictures Copyright 2013 by Scott Fitch.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thanks for sharing!

3. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr

Details pictures must be very interesting on this car.

4. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Best first thread ever?!

Thanks so much for posting this. Can't wait to see how it develops.

5. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    It will be really interesting thread. Scott, please share more images, stories and documents.

6. coryh

coryh Karting

Nov 26, 2011
    After reading this I have to be thankful for sites like this one and Tom Yangs. How easy it is for us to communicate around the world, at any time and location in searching for answers or parts.

7. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Thank you!Thank you! This is an absolute treasure. I have in my file on 0353 much of the F Chat posts from 2009 including from Marcel Massini who if he hasn't already received Part ! will be thrilled to get it. This is the kind of first hand provenance that is so special. The picture of your father with the car is great. Along with sister car 0359 these may be Vignale's crowning achievements tongascrew

8. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    This car was my first introduction to Lampredi power. In 1976, Sue and I took our 330 GTC and Wayne and Gracia drove 0353AL to the Ferrari Club group at the Indianapolis Speedway swap meet. On Sunday, we decided to convoy home together as Wayne lived 40 miles to the west of us. We agreed to take some lesser used two lane roads instead of the interstate, with much of this trip on dead straight smooth roads.

We were crusing along happily in the 70 mph range when we came upon a late 60s Plymouth muscle car ahead and we both sped up somewhat and passed him. A short time later, I checked the rearview mirror to see the Plymouth gaining rapidly on us. He blasted past running about 100-110 mph with lots of noise. After he passed Wayne, I saw some smoke start to roll out of 0353's exhaust and knew the race was on. I dropped down to fourth, and nailed the GTC. We both caught the Plymouth and sailed past, while I was still in fourth gear, Wayne stayed on the gas and I was able to say with him up to about 125 mph, whereupon the old Lampredi just motored off into the distance. Shortly after, we both slowed down and resumed our pleasent drive home.

A few days later, Wayne called, and I was amazed to have him tell me that after he got home, he just felt the 375 was not running correctly, so he did a compression test and found TWO CYLINDERS WITH NO COMPRESSION! That old Lampredi, on TEN CYLINDERS, had walked away from a good running 330GTC.

That experience, many years ago, told me everything I ever wanted to know about Lampredi V-12's.

mcimino likes this.
  9. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #9 Boudewijn, Oct 7, 2013
    mcimino likes this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  11. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #12 375america, Oct 7, 2013
    Some of the documents I have copies of took me awhile to understand. I finally figured out that the reason I had a brochure for a 250 Europa was because that was the body style of the original car that had the engine modified by the factory. I've attached a few pages from the brochure, all have separated so it's more a collection of single sheets. The Owner's manual was evidently a working copy, the front is grease stained and there are notes on a number of pages. The whole manual is about 37 pages long, with pull-out "figures" and schematics, with drawings of the various systems. Apparently page numbering was not a common practice, so most everything was annotated in pencil by my father. I have not scanned all of the pages, because in order to do so each page has to be placed on the scanner due to the fragility of the manual. I have a xerox copy of a "Tavola", which evidently is a parts manual. I've attached 2 of the ± 29 pages. I don't know how he obtained this material, whether it was part of original sale or not. Finally, I've attached the bill of sale documentation and some transport documents. I'm not sure what my size limitation is on this site, but if some of these items aren't in the post, either I've exceeded the limit or screwed up somehow in uploading to the site. I've attached a scan of a 2"X3" color negative (dated from printed pictures with a print date of June, 1959 at the same location) that was taken in San Diego, CA. at my Aunts house in Clairemont. This is the only picture I have that I think shows me (and my brother) with the car. I'm the one sitting on the curb in the background, at six years old. My uncle's car is also in the background. *Note: The Bill of Sale from Chambers and the Bill of lading exceeded size limits, so will have to be reduced and reattached in the future....* All Photos and Documents copyright Scott Fitch 2013.

mcimino likes this.
  12. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    How fortunate are we classic Ferrari geeks that Scott has elected to share this wonderful trove?!

Seriously, thanks man. This is a real treat. I'm raising a cold pint in your direction right now. :)

mcimino likes this.
  13. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    And the second pint from me. And I am sure more will follow. Better take a cab home. tongascrew

14. polds

polds Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    This is simply fantastic.

A window to the past. Perhaps a better time?

Either way seeing this machine in late period is staggering.

I salute the OP.

Many thanks. You've made my day... (I rarely post but this is more than worthy of my scribblings)

15. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #16 375america, Oct 9, 2013
    I think I had read somewhere that the car was originally black, your photo tends to confirm. Thank you for the picture. I think Marcel Massini said it's currently purple...it's always been blue to me and will remain so. In any case, this will be a short post to attach the now reduced size documents mentioned in the previous post, plus the transport documents. Front photo of the car dated from 1959. All Photos and Documents copyright Scott Fitch 2013

16. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WONDERFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The current exterior is black, the current interior is purple.

Marcel Massini

18. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #19 Boudewijn, Oct 9, 2013
    Thank you for all the documents. I think the color in 1957 was Blu Scuro. This is a photo of the engine of 0353AL taken at the same time when it was at Monza. I don't think it shows black.

mcimino likes this.
  19. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Wow!!!what a great!...thank you so much for sharing this...what great memories you must have of your father associated with this outstanding piece of ferrari history...Stuart field

20. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Fascinating - Amazing to think that the current owner wouldn't want to at least have copies of this early documentation.

21. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #22 Ed Niles, Oct 9, 2013
    Thank you so much, Scott, for bringing all this to light. I have a raft of photos in my computer, and I believe that Joe must have given them to me. I'll post a few. Here's a tale from the old days, which is a commentary on how Ferrari owners were a closely-knit and trusting group. I had bought the broken engine no. 0380AM from Peter Helm, and when Joe learned of this he wanted to borrow a head, which I promptly delivered to Joe. Later, when it was time to sell the engine to Chuck Weiss, I realized that a head was missing, and couldn't remember where it had gone! I ended up placing an ad in the FOC bulletin, and the next call I got was from Joe, bless his heart.

Thank you, Scott for allowing me to handle Dad's probate. It was an honor.

mcimino likes this.
  22. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    P.S. That last pic was by Dean Batchelor, then with R&T. And to answer the next question, that object behind the shifter is a turn signal switch. And yes, it does appear the this car and 0359GT used the same body buck.

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Fantastic thread, by the way!

24. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #25 375america, Oct 9, 2013
    Ed, thank you for the story, thoughts and pictures. I think this is the way things are supposed to work. I have a puzzle for you as well, do you know who's in the attached picture? From the date printed on a photograph that appears to have been taken concurrently, it's from July, 1968. I'm not sure where the picture was taken. I have yet to finish posting with the material from the Fifties, but I thought your post required an immediate thank you and response. I have attached a scan of another memento that may jog a few neurons...

mcimino likes this.