The Provenance of 0353 AL - 375 America (1958 to 1974) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Provenance of 0353 AL - 375 America (1958 to 1974)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 375america, Oct 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Was that drawn from the posted pictures? Amazing! My compliments. Sometimes pictures are more eloquent than words, especially when hand drawn. I think you've captured the essence.

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #77 Aardy, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you very much Boudewijn and Scott.

I took this well known pic as a model and all the pics of this thread were very useful too...

Thanks again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Any idea of where and when the above was taken? My history starts in 1958, and other than the Ordeal I haven't seen anything of the background from the first purchaser. I believe there was a name, but no details.

4. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I have only what you can find in the still excellent book of Marcel Massini "Ferrari by Vignale" and then copied by the "barchetta" website:

54/aug/06 - Certificate of origin issued
    54/dec/22 - Bianca Colizzi, Roma, I - paid Lit. 4,000,000 "Roma 215282"
    55 - converted by factory to a 375 America with 4.5 litre engine, chassis no. suffix "EU" changed to "AL"
    56/oct/10 - Harry Burl Chambers, Roma, I - paid Lit. 2,000,000
    Anyway, the original colour was not dark blue but rather something like metallic grey...

5. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #80 375america, Nov 2, 2013
    I have four remaining pictures from the 60's, one uploaded previously in post #25. Reviewing my own trail of documents I have reason to believe that the unknown person in the photo may have been Bob Sadler, whom in later correspondence was identified as the one person my father had found to work on the car (for over 10 years). I guess sometimes it's not all about the owners...I may have met Mr. Sadler once, but I don't recall the year. My recollection was that he was involved in the Aerospace industry, and they had disassembled and reassembled 0353 numerous times. This was collaborated by my cousin, who, when stopping by Flight Avenue on his way to college, told me he was impressed when he saw the garage with the disassembled car parts neatly spread out and organized for reassembly. Next posts will be the 70's and the sale. All Pictures Copyright © 2013 Scott Fitch.

6. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Thank you for your contribution. Interestingly the brochure is in French, and not in Italian...

Gr. Martin

7. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Scott,

Any idea where in SoCal these shots were taken?

Nice shots of the car and your Father.

8. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    I hadn't noticed (I confess I was drawn more to the pictures than the text), but you are right. I looked at the original to see if there was a publication statement, but could not find anything. I do not know how this was acquired, only that it was a part of the collection.

As to the next question, "Any idea where in SoCal these shots were taken?", the answer is no. Date was May or July of 1968. I do remember going to a race with my father at the Santa Barbara Airport, in Goleta, but cannot remember when, and it was probably well before these pictures were taken.

9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to post this material. As you can see it is universally loved by everyone here.

I have to say, the photos of your father remind me of myself for some reason. Maybe because he appears to be the same age as I am now and he seems to have a similar relation to his car that I do. Call me crazy but I've taken dozen of photos of old worn out parts too. But there's a difference between doing it digitally and doing it with real film. :)

This really is a great contribution to the site.

-F

10. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #85 375america, Nov 4, 2013
    Not many pictures in the 70's repertoire. Of the two attached, the second was uploaded on the Ferrari Life forum when I added 0353 to the Registry on 5/21/13 (Post #12). I have a number of undated photographs which I have scanned and will post as miscellaneous pictures, some are Polaroid. In correspondence with other people regarding the car, sometimes previously unknown tidbits come out - (see letter dated 1971-06-10 for description of original color). Much of the information for the early 70's is involved in restoration and interaction with other Ferrari enthusiasts. I think 1972 was probably the highpoint of his involvement with 0353....All Pictures and Documents Copyright © Scott Fitch 2013

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    interestingly, i was at that hollywood bowl concours. great setting. missplaced my photos unfortunately. would love to see any photos you might have of that event.
    thanks

12. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I'm still trying to get my head around the fact the current owner doesn't want all of this great stuff. Did I read that right?

-F

13. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    Unfortunately I do not have any photos. I only knew about the event from coming across the trophy and the "1953 Ferrari" sign depicted in post #35. When my father moved from LA to Lompoc, these two mementos were in his living room, and stayed there until 2001. I noticed them during my brief visits, but he was not one for long stories or explanations... In 2002, when I started trying to figure out what all this was, I came across the "1972 Hollywood Bowl" citation on the site previously mentioned by Aardy. When I found the FOC article in the binder mentioning the first place, most of the story fell into place. I also would love to see photos of this event...

14. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Thanks soooo much. This is great stuff. Got any more? tongascrew

15. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #90 375america, Nov 6, 2013
    The process of selling 0353 I believe started in 1972, first with ads, then concurrent consideration of donation to the Smithsonian Institute, and later the Cunningham Auto Museum in Orange County, CA. You can follow some of the progression in the letters. There are some interesting observations in the 1973-05-02 letter regarding who was interested in the sale at the time. The eventual sale and release of 0353 to Wayne Golomb was finally completed on June 15, 1974. There is a hand written tally of his restoration expenses by year, which does not seem to address the time or effort spent in the restoration. I've included the remainder of the miscellaneous pictures, some with an approximate date, some I have no idea. I think I will have one more post dealing with the aftermath of the sale and following up with the contact information/process for those who want to obtain photos of some of the postings. I will, of course, be open to any suggestions as to how best to accomplish. All Pictures and Documents Copyright © Scott Fitch 2013

16. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Boggles the mind.

It will be interesting to see what forgotten history of the car comes to light as the awareness of this documentation grows.

Thanks.

17. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Fantastic thread! Just curious - do you have any idea how your Dad got interested / involved in Ferrari world? It just seems kind of unreal that a guy with a family and a regular (night shift!) job drove this amazing car! Maybe the US posters 'of the era' can comment - in 1958 would this car have been recognized in LA as special, or just seen as some odd foreign contraption?

18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    All this may not quite be up to Carter's discovery and having printed out the correspondence for my 353EU file, hopeing no curse comes with it, this is very special stuff.This is what real provenance is all about. We who are really into this kind of stuff salute you. Thanks so much. tongascrew

19. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    To answer Karen, a lot of us in the F-world at that time were not wealthy; maybe most of us.. We did a lot of borrowing at the bank! We had these cars because we loved them, and we loved the experience of being involved with something very exclusive and special.

While we view this car as something very special now, it was just another Ferrari back in the day. Whether it was one of one, or one of twenty, it was all the same. And some of us shunned the "big block" cars as an engine overhaul cost more than the value of the car.

Sorry if this sounds cynical, but those were different times.

20. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed; We said! Lampredi's were definitely "shunned" by many, as not only were the engines very costly to work on, but also VERY FEW mechanics knew how to successfully rebuild the engines and there were NO parts available. I always gave Wayne Golomb a lot of credit for being so "brave" in his ownership of the Lampredi's. You are also correct, in the we were lucky in that we had "friendly" bankers who made it all possible.

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Agreed; witness the substantial number of Mondial/Monza/TRCs that had their Lampredis unceremoniously removed and a nice lightweight, powerful alum Buick v-8 dropped in its place! It was practically a no-brainer if you were racing back then; my dad came within an eyelash of doing that very thing to 0556(0446)MD, he just lacked the funds.

22. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Thanks for the reply Ed; I hasten to add I was not asking about the financial side but how an 'average' guy developed such an interest in those times, where did the exposure come from? I'm sure a Ferrari on the streets of LA in 1958 was about as likely as snow! And I guess the 12 cylinder cars are under-represented these days for much the same reasons as the Lampredi engines were then.

23. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I was a student at the Pomfret School in Pomfret Conn in the mid 1950s which was just a few miles from the Thompson race track.We would get one of the teachers to get the bus out and drive us on race day to Thompson. Everything from stock MGs to Scarabs,Ferraris, Maseratis Jaguars etc etc raced there.Many of the drivers with their cars stayed at the Ben Grovesnor Inn across from the school. We once set up a Mille Miglia type checkpoint on the road which was a big hit.We also pooled our resources and got a subscription to Autosport which would come each week but took a good month to cross the Atlantic from England. I restored my first car in the machine shop at school, an Austin 7 special. I am sure everyone of my generation has some good stories. I hope we hear some. tongascrew

24. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    How did one become interested? In my case, just kid of 13, enamored of hot rods and drag racing, reading “Custom Car” etc. My dad was an immigrant factory worker, arriving in America in 1933 from Europe on a boat. In large part because of the war, it took 30 years before he could go back to see his sisters, taking the family on a trip, with some time sightseeing in Paris. It was relatively inexpensive then, the US dollar went a long way, and the gift of a pack of American cigarettes made every train conductor or customs guy happy. On this trip, I was by nature focused on all these curious Citroen Traction Avants and FIAT Topolinos, imagining them stuffed with blown V-8 Chevy 283s. Then I bought a copy of the French magazine “Sport Auto”, with a cover picture of a 250SWB in the Tour de France, from a Paris newsstand with my souvenir allowance – still have it. And I saw a real Ferrari on the street. I was immediately captured by the body design and that noise, hooked. Hey, it had driving lights and a wood steering wheel too! Next I’m home, now buying Road & Track and Sports Car Graphic, reading about Jim Clark, John Surtees, Monza, and this place named Maranello.

25. 375america

375america Karting

Jan 16, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Scott Fitch
    #100 375america, Nov 9, 2013
    Great story, I savored the image, but I suppose context is everything...There is always a back story.

All was not wine and roses after the sale. After the delivery of 0353 to Wayne Golomb on June 21, 1974 the stage was set for the back and forth of allegations and refutations of allegations between Golomb and my father, culminating in a letter dated January 17, 1975 sent by Golomb implying a lawsuit over Golomb's perception of problems with the car. I have only included a few of the letters from this period, as this part of the collection is voluminous and frankly depressing. The collection does contain the original letters (and sometimes envelopes) to and from Mr. Golomb, my father and Max Fassett. Terms like "penurious" and lots of Attorney-speak predominate, not to mention name-dropping and officious posturing. I have about 30 - 4"x6" TWA "memo form's" evidently jotted down as salient points in the correspondence. I've attached a scan of some, if only to illustrate the underlying tone of the time. The name dropping memo from the Las Vegas Riviera Hotel I included because I don't recognize all the names...perhaps some in the forum may have some background. (This was in response to a number of people cited in a letter from Golomb, unpublished...) In any case, the last memo, from Max Fassett, dated June 17, 1975 evidently was the end of the file, excluding the one letter to Bob Sadler, previously posted (Post # 73) dated October 10, 1997. I'll provide contact info for those who want pictures shortly. All Pictures and Documents Copyright © Scott Fitch 2013