The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering - 2022 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering - 2022

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Apr 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Exactly.

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I just heard about the LM002 showing. Pretty remarkable that they would try and curate an assembly with such short notice. A shame, because it would really be something to see a large assembly of LM's. Pretty incredible vehicle.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many years ago it was only run on Saturday. When it extended to Sunday the big rumor was PB Concours requested them to extend to Sunday to thin out the crowding at the concours. Seems like an odd request now but back before big crowds and no parking is just accepted as a fact of life in Monterey it made a lot of sense.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Could you do me a really big favor? Get pictures and VINs? I am trying to keep a registry.

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I’ll be showing my Countach it will definitely try to make my way over there and do that.

plastique999 likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Really appreciate it.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #32 Rifledriver, Jul 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    CI has scarcely been worth going to since it left Quail Lodge. Has had the ambiance of a neighborhood car show since.

Concours on the avenue was a huge loss. but not as big a loss as Doug. He was a real southern gentleman. He and Kieth Blumel and I judged together at the Ferrari 70th. I sure hope Jennie can put it back together...if she is so inclined.

The display of the Pebble cars on Ocean was huge too. We used to drive down 1 to watch them then go to Nepenthes for lunch with that million dollar view of theirs.

TTR likes this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I presented a different car at each of Doug's first three events (fourth was cancelled IIRC) and had great time doing it, eventually encouraging some other otherwise hesitant (of showing) clients/friends present theirs, but after some quite unexpected issues and the way the event started changing/evolving(?), I pretty much lost interest endorsing it (in all fairness, in my case, same has happened to all other Monterey events/shows*).

I'd be surprised if Ginny wishes to continue it, but since I don't know her that well ...

* Or perhaps this is just "old timer(s)" looking back through some rose colored glasses ? :rolleyes::D

Marcel Massini likes this.
  9. FerrariNashville

Jul 30, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Camden Goddard
    Do you know if Ferrari will be doing anything special this year for their 75th Anniversary? Or just the usual Concorso at the Lodge…which is always good of course

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No Concorso and no Lodge.
    You mean Casa Ferrari at Pebble.

Marcel Massini

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. FerrariNashville

Jul 30, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Camden Goddard
    The display they usually do is at The Lodge at Pebble Beach behind Casa Ferrari yes..and it’s called the Ferrari Concorso (at least last year with the Monza display). So is that a yes that they’re doing something again this year?

12. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    They are.

FerrariNashville likes this.
  13. JJNino

JJNino Rookie

Dec 11, 2011
    California
    Full Name:
    JOHN NINO
    I've been invited to show/debut my P3/412P Tribute in the "Coach Built" Class at the Quail. I'll also be showing at Concorso Italiano on Saturday.
    Many thanks to David Piper and the list of incredible fabricators who have helped over the last 10 years to make this possible.
    I look forward to hopefully meeting you and other F/C enthusiasts. It should be a wonderful weekend.
    Best regards, Ciao, J, Nino

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    Any help with 1 ticket PLEASE !!!
    Cost not important :)

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I will ask around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Will you be attending the Lambo Lounge?

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Casa Ferrari tickets are more than double the cost of Quail tickets.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No. I used to live an hour and a half away and had a free place to stay and friends with restaurants who always had a table for me. Between that and mostly free attendance I was very spoiled. Now its a few hour airplane ride, hotel, rental car etc. For what I have seen it evolve into over 30 years or so it just is not worth it to me at least very often. Maybe for the Lambo anniversary next year. Probably cheaper to fly than drive the LM002 but what are you going to do?

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    JAM1 likes this.
  20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    BJK and JSinNOLA like this.
  21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Hopefully they'll put that money towards hiring some F1 strategists! :)

I haven't been out west since before Covid but IMO the only thing that keeps these events relevant now is the few rare vintage cars you can't see anywhere else. Unfortunately they seem to be shown less and less as the cadre of modern cars take their spots. I guess that's a result of the over-commercialization of these events.

I personally don't see the attraction in attending any event to see Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugattis, McLarens and Paganis, etc. that I can see on any day of the month here for free at a Toy Rally or C&C. Seeing garage queens sitting still on the lawn never really did it for me. I'd much rather see them driven in anger on a track but sadly I fear those days are long gone.

Don't get me wrong I love the modern cars but they have become so common place they just don't move my needle anymore like they used to. Perhaps I've just become jaded over time.

375+, Ferrari55whoa, audi_328 and 2 others like this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You are so right Anthony,

I absolutely do not miss being in Monterey: auction after auction after auction concours after concours...and 95% of the people don't go out to Laguna Seca: it is all about greed and posing, the week should be rebaptised Greed-terey....and how much are the tickets already?! Obscene.

Everyone is just posting photos of cars at auction; how about cars being driven? 5% of the photos, maximum.

Talk about an event that lost its way, its soul.

Le Mans Classic was 100 times better; hundreds of cars racing in various grids by era throughout the weekend, throughout the night, everything takes place inside the 8 mile circuit, 8600 classics having been driven to the event from all over Europe, lots to see and do and just ONE little auction: this is as it should be.

I know where I will be next summer: at the special 100th anniversary edition of Le Mans Classic; Monterey no way.

papou, cobmw, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many of the events have become about a few modern high end cars used to attract people to a vendor selling the latest and greatest wax or some other silly **** because the several hundred dollar ticket you bought isn't providing the required profit.

375+ and Nembo1777 like this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Anthony & Marc,
    as I’ve stated before, it appears Cavallino, all/most of the Monterey events, etc have all evolved(???) into lifestyle gatherings, catering to different/new/younger demographics for whom ‘80s, ‘90s, etc cars are old “classics”(?) and are more into being "stars" of their own social media outlets.
    It’s just progress.
    What our generation (“boomers” ?) think of as the “good old days” are long gone and will not come back.
    Doug F. was probably the last of the "old guard" creating/hosting an event focusing mainly on cars rather than perceptions of high-end lifestyle and marketing for all that.

Terra, 375+, Ferrari55whoa and 4 others like this.