The Quest For A 512 BBi | FerrariChat

The Quest For A 512 BBi

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, Jul 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #1 Dave Bendl, Jul 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I haven't been on F-Chat Chicago much in the past couple of weeks. I've been busy "shopping".

Since Bill Rosen let me test drive his 365 GT 2+2, I got the 12 cylinder bug. It bit me square between the eyes. Although Bill politely, kicked me out of the drivers seat stating "Your driving this thing like an old lady". (Sorry Bill, but in someone else's car, I respectfully don't push it.)
    Bill got behind the wheel, & showed me what a 12 cylinder will do. I was hanging on to the "OH Sh-t" handles!

Andreas Forrer test drove a local high mileage, black carb'ed 512BB a few months ago and gave me an 8x10 silhouette pic of that car. I have it framed over my desk as an inspiration. Black became my favorite color for a 512BB.
    A couple of weeks ago I decided to jump head first (with my wife's support) in the 512 BBI market. The Boxer is my favorite pick for classic Ferrari 12 cyl GT class styling.

I secured one today!
    See: http://www.ebizautos.com/huntingridge/detail.cfm?iid=403784
    or: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2485176812&category=6212

A 1982 Black/Tobacco (drk tan) 512 BBI with 7,200 miles on the clock. S/N:40565. The car was offered by Hunting Ridge Motorsports Inc in Port Clinton, NY. A full 30k major service was done on the car in 2/00 by Auto Palace Inc. The car was located in their museum in the late 80's - 2000. From what I understand from a previous owner contacted Saturday, it was in a New Jersey museum prior to that, but couldn't remember the name. The car was also offered on e-bay. Bidding was very active over the weekend with 39 bids, nearing dangeriously close to my agreed price with the dealer. There were 5 days left to go in the auction.

The car changed hands a number of times through the past couple of years. My guess is that many may find Boxers a bit more work to drive than say a 355. The controls are a bit heavier and maintenance is expensive.

The only issue is getting quick cartage from New York to Chicago via insured covered wagon. The dealer is giving me a ship date of next monday, arrival to Chicago the end of next week. They will do their best to ship it sooner.

There was speculation on an F-Chat thread that this car had a blown head gasket. It was inspected by Miller MotorCars (F-Car dealer) prior to Hunting Ridge's posession. Hunting Ridge conducted a compression test over the weekend and found only a 7 psi differential between cylinders 2 & 10. Well within a 10% value. In a conversation this weekend with a previous owner, he indicated that he had the car serviced by FOA with compression & leak down tests done at that time as well. All 12 injectors were upgraded to brass type at that time.

The dealer is providing a written 90 day/4k mile limited warranty with 100% labor/100% parts covering the engine, drivetrain, brakes, radiator, steering, & alternators.

As with my 83' 308 GTS QV, I do all my own maintenance. My 308 is now to a level that if I do anymore to it other than the normal preventative maintenance, it become's anal. All it needs now is to be driven & enjoyed.

The 512 BBi provides a new challange & experience for me both driving and winter time projects. I will be able to do my own engine out major service when required. My favorite pastime during the winter months is to turn wrenches on these cars. A form of mental therapy for me after a long day at the office.

I would like to thank all those that have given me their kind advise on this purchase including: Bill Rosen, Skip Williamson, Andreas Forrer, Mike Epifanio, Dave Hoffman, Gary Reed, and Lee Sanders.

I will be retaining my 308...Their's just something about first love that you can't let go of.

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    wow!!! congrats Dave!!
    so..... whatcha gonna do with the 308?
    Chelle

3. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    I know you say you're keeping it - but IIRC you are about outa garage space :0
    Chelle

4. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks Chelle !
    The Boxer will store nicely on the 4 post lift. I will be shopping for off site storage for the 308 unless my wife kindly relinqishes her garage spot. If she does, I will gladly have a remote starter installed on her car + clean her boots from winter snow.
    Dave

5. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Check with Lonny, at Continental Motors, in Hinsdale ( an authorized Ferrari dealer). That is where I bought my 83 BBi 3 years ago........very happy with it. They seem to get some, now and then, on consignment.

6. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks, but this is a done deal. Couldn't resist.
    Just a FYI, but my Grigio 83' 308 GTS QV was Lonny's first sale at Continental way back in 85'
    Dave

7. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Well then, congrats, and welcome to the "BBi Club"!!!!!!!!!!

If you need any help with the car, just ask.........I do all the work on the car, myself.

8. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Thanks Henry! The car almost makes me look forward to a long Chicago winter. Can't wait to get started. I will need to break it in by driving it locally for the balance of the season. I'll need to find those hidden issues so I can make a priority list.
    Dave

9. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Dave,

When do you get the car? I just went throught a big issue with my BBi.......advance weights where frozen, and carbon rod in distributor disintegrated. Make sure you check these..........this is now on my yearly list, to do.

Good luck!

10. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Either late this week if they can secure a truck by tomorrow, or at the latest late next week.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check both out.
    Whats my best source for a workshop manual Henry ? A re-print would be fine.

Dave

11. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    There is no "good" WSM available. I have a reprint, but it covers the BB much more, with very little information specific to the BBi.

I bought an original BBi parts manual, from Lonny.........about $96 (3 years ago)........WELL worth it. Call their parts and get it.

The major issues, that I had, after 3 years of ownership:

1) The advance freezing, etc.........as stated. Check the timing.

2) Cooling. I just had the radiator re-cored last month. Do a pressure test of the cooling system, when you get the car.

3) Check for leaks...........as with ANY Ferrari. I still don't have any........lucky me!!!!!!!!!!

4) After 3 years, I am starting to loose some brake fluid............a Winter progect.

If the above 4 are OK, then, take a trip to Door County, WI.........haha!!!!!

12. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    The camshaft cover on the left bank has minor gasket seepage. I have told the dealer to waive it, and I will take care of it after delivery if necessary. I'll check with Randy at Continental regarding the parts manual.
    Thanks,
    Dave

13. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Oh, I forgot. One more thing: Remove the wheels, and apply some copper anti-sieze to the wheel hubs..........use sparingly. I did this to mine, and found one hub "frozen" onto the shaft...........had to pry, pound, etc., to remove. There is NO way that you could change a flat tire, if these wheels are not checked..............another yearly thing to do.

14. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Yep, sounds like my previously owned Jag E-Type. Same deal. Darn near had to rent a "Jaws of Life" to get the splines unfrozen when I first got it.
    Dave

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Dave-

As you, I will be spending many sleepless nights waiting for the boxer to arrive.

I better be there to see it come off the transport; I'll take the pics.

I'm glad I was able to help you decide to buy the friggin' thing, and overcome the uninformed naysayers in another thread on 'Chat'.

I'll never understand how anyone could mistake a seeping cam box gasket for a blown head gasket??

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I never was able to drive my E-Types long enough to experience the problem; they spent 99% of the time in the shop! :(

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Congratulations Dave!

I think you made the deal at the right time. I bet in a few years the boxer market will go up again. Not that this was your reasoning, but it never hurts to have some extra cash for the maintenance.

Nice job on the avatar. Although I loved your old one too.

It will be interesting to see whether you really hang on to the 308. When I drove the Boxer I almost cried asking myself why did I buy a 308? But we know the answer, a Boxer just wouldn't fit in my garage.

18. Farmers Agent

Farmers Agent Karting

May 24, 2004
    Wow, You do not waste anytime. Good luck with it. When you get it looking and running as fine as your 308 you will have a great ride.
    Let's see, you got the mrs to agree on the car now you can get that 6 car garage. ha ha!!

19. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    So in other words, potentially in time for the drive on Sunday? :D

Of course you realize, if you don't put 4,000 miles on it within 90 days, you're not getting the most out of that warranty.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Congrats on the purchase. Boxers are great!

You mention the eBay high miles car, with "Ken Sr."

Did that car sell? I looked in the Chicago section for the thread the other day and could not find it....do you have the contact info if it's still there?

That car was the EXACT opposite of the dreaded Garage Queen. I also am glad you straightened out the confusion on this cool car. Well done!

Chelle,

Good Luck on the VA Show. The Art Car would be there, but it's currently in the paint shop...I wish I knew someone handy with a paint gun......;)
    Hope the turn out is good!

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LOL Chuck!

I said the same thing on the other thread.

A good 4000 mile romp seems to be in order!

22. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    lol, Alan, I would love to fly down and paint the Art car.. actually if you wanted actual art on it Kim is a fairly well known artist in the sci-fi world.. :)
    she was recently "artist guest of honor" at a show and has been featured in a couple galleries downtown
    see here: http://capricon.org/reck.php

Dave - the guy who said he would bring his 300SL roadster (I think it was a 1957) is a local collector and told me he will never get rid of his first ferrari ... a 512BBi... even if you don't drive something see if you can swing by the VA thing... he might have lots of tips now that you have one.. if you don't make it - want me to give him your e-mail addy? He may post here too, but honestly I don't know if he does..
    Chelle

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, maybe within reason...you are aware of the girl who was charged with a crime because her Art Car trunk lid depicted a Pole Dancer?

She picked up her kid from school and was arrested! It's somewhere "up north", not here in Texas. The whole story was hilarious. I think the Judge made them paint clothes on her!

We are definately a PG rated Art Car.
    Pics at www.gardenoaks.org of our 4th of July Parade.
    Proud to be American. Thanks to all the Vets, from Speedy308.

I led the blond girl in the Sailor Suit Honor Guard take my car around the block after the parade. Her response: "This is a GREAT day!" and, "Thanks, Sir"......

You should have seen the look on her face as I tossed her the keys.
    Priceless. I have her phone number here somewhere.....

DID THE CARB BOXER SELL?...ANYONE KNOW?

PS I thought she was in the US Navy...fooled by the uniform....she wanted to know all kinds of performance info about the car...I said "I dunno, go time it yourself" LOL!

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Checked out the link....cool..

Ya'll should put the Art Car Weekend on your social calendar next year, even if I retire my Art Car!

It's quite the four day party......

25. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Congratulations on your new car,Dave. It looks absolutely Beautiful! Can't wait to see it in person...soon! :) I love those 512's.

I too have the "12 Cylinder Bug",but have so much going on right now,I just don't have the time....Hopefully,soon. But, I would also have a hard time picking between a 512 and a TR.....Love 'em both.