'The Ratarossa': The Testarossa Spider Rebuild Project | Page 14 | FerrariChat

'The Ratarossa': The Testarossa Spider Rebuild Project

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spiderscott, Sep 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    If you have a CAD file (STL, X_T, STP, IGES) I can print them for you. If you don’t, I can model it for you and print but can’t make a start for at least a week (NAIAS)

2. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    that would be amazing if you could. Theres no rush as its just a finishing touch for the car

3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Have been working on a couple of my other cars the past few weeks, while I wait for a few of bits to materialise.

Ive just taken delivery of the custom built springs. Gazmatic have done a superb job with the newly made front set, it took them a little extra time as the original Testarossa springs where made from a size they didn't have readily available.

This next fitment part is a bit of a 'fingers crossed' job, I spoke with the Gazmatic guys at length to try and determine the size of the springs to build. You will notice from the pictures they have kindly sent me two sets of springs at different lengths. It basically boiled down to a bit of guess work because of all the variables involved: My car was way off stock height at the front, the new coilover shocks and the extra drop I wanted to add.

Remember my aim here with the springs was not only to level out the front end of the car but alongside it to add a slight drop from factory US ride height. My car all measured up as far as I could see and determine using the Coupe I had, there were no differences in any measurements. I believe that with the mass of added strengthening bars and material in the centre to rear section of the car to compensate for the lack of roof structure, this had a knock on effect with the front ride height. Not only that I could see a visible difference between left and right front height.

Im hoping with the coilover system and shorter uprated springs:
    1) I can get the stance lower just slightly from Euro spec. I did this on my Stradale with just a little drop, not over the top drop and it gave the car a meaner stance than many would not notice unless sat next to another CS. I intend for this to look the same on the TR.
    2) Get the front ends (left and right) the same height. Eventually If needs be do the back 4 springs and finally corner weight the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  6. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  7. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Installed on the car and dropped it off the jack before buttoning everything up to see where we are at.

I know it would need to settle a bit with the cars movement but personally I think it needs more, the problem being is the spring perches are right to the bottom, there about 1 turn left. The RHS suspension height was always a tad higher than the left so my concern is I won't have the travel on the other side it wind it down that little bit further. Think im going to get some shorter ones made to give me more play in the travel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I made a setup to do it in a hydraulic press. Take a piece of u channel (heavy) drill a hole, put a bolt thru the bottom eye of shock. Weld a ring around top so it won't slip out of press ram. Put in upside down in press, compress with top piece on bottom. Reach under table and start nut. Remove and tighten to torque.

spiderscott likes this.
  9. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ok, remind me when you’re a few weeks out from launching her. I’ll be more than happy to help out.

10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    They are in the post !! Tomorrow I should finally get the 3rd attempt at custom springs delivered .... cant wait :D

11. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    They have arrived !!!

The final version of front springs are much lower, this should give me plenty of adjustment upwards, the low setting will have the front end slammed down into the tyres, so I think with these springs Ill be winding the coils up not down :cool:

Will take a pic of the final spring next to the original factory, it must be half the length.

The Ratarossa is a weight saving Testarossa project, No roof and half the spring weight :D:D:D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  13. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Thats one side done, I now need to get the car out to access the passenger side. Fortunately my none running 456GTA purchase is now purring like a kitten and can be moved off the driveway.

14. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Still need to refit that front wheel arch but I will do some suspension testing and tweeks first, with the arch removed it gives me ample access to get to everything easily.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Keep going! Thanks for the updates.

spiderscott likes this.
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I see it the new ones are 1/3 shorter, not the half. so good to replace them then.
    the material itself seems to be thicker than from the original. that is why they are shorter. what diameter the old ones have and what the new ones?

I don´t think that the new ones have so much less weight, bit sure, the ratarossa wil be not as heavy as the testarossa.

I like seeing progress in your project :)

17. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    oh, on the other picture the spring looks not so much shorter.
    what is the diameter of the springsteel itself?
    this is such a nice project :)
    what you think about putting clear coat/color on also to protect the special finish?

spiderscott likes this.
  19. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I will measure up and check TJ, will report back findings

Yes I plan to clear coat the finish and protect the car at some point.

Its wayyyyyy to cold here in the UK to use the Ratarossa right now, so I'm aiming to have it to a point where I can drive and enjoy it starting spring time. Want to get the car mechanically sound by that point. Ive a few other of my F cars that have been taking up time this past few weeks with winter repairs, fortunately I haven't had much choice anyway due to waiting on the suspension springs to be manufactured.

20. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Quick video of the car started and running

steved033 likes this.
  21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008