The real F40 with VIN 90969? (2nd is 85397) | Page 18 | FerrariChat

The real F40 with VIN 90969? (2nd is 85397)

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Aircon, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Last one I saw from DK sold for 180k less than another one in similar condition.
    I know you are the f40 market expert, happy to be corrected.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nothing wrong with that.

The value range between the vast majority of no-stories F40s can be much more than that, so this example doesn't help with the market for the few so-called Phoenix F40s. In my opinion the latter don't have an established trading value formula relative to no-stories cars as there are so many variables at play depending on the extent of the damage, so you have to take them on a car-by-car basis.

luigisayshello likes this.
  3. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    The one I was referring, from memory was a very similar case to the Monaco car in the 90s, not sure if it wasn't the count f40. I'm talking about Europe market by the way, at a time where a perspex no story car, low mileage, very fit f40 took more than a year to sell at 1.2M euros and was finally sold at an undisclosed price.

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I guess the last publically known burned F40 to sell was the Roland Lindner example, but that came back far from standard and values were much lower back then.

The ex Gilmour F40 was probably the last one offered for sale in more recent times, but again its back story is such that it could not be re registered in the UK, but the rest of the world should be fine.

Then there is the Eurospares example but that got withdrawn from sale so who knows.

Finally that DK chassis but that may have been retained by the owner and DK are rebuilding it for them? (Tax the Rich?)

They all seem to trade under the radar, I expect the same will happen with the Monaco car.

There is also the UK example that has not been seen since it was in the salvage yard, but that may well be back on the road again as a bright red shiny F40 and without a known VIN or reg number it could be hiding in plain sight.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Let's just remember, one or two instances does not a market formula make, so posting declared percentages may be misleading to the uninitiated.

Meanwhile I can tell you that a no-stories F40 priced correctly in any market worldwide will not take a year to sell, even in these uncertain times, this year alone we have sold 2 cars in a matter of a few weeks, and I'm aware of a number of F40s in the UK that have sold quickly.

6. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Agree. The right car will always sell for the right price. With so many F40's made there's is no need to accept any storied car unless it is bought to drive and enjoy for the the rest of your motoring life, with no regard for future resale value, or even consideration for a swift and easy disposal.

joe sackey likes this.
  7. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Any news on the blue car?

9. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Probably just having its VIN number changed

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Let me phrase it like this:
    The blue car is currently "unavailable" for anybody except certain authorities.

Marcel Massini

christc, megamarco9 and of2worlds like this.
  12. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    That is good news.

13. Zonda760

Zonda760 Rookie

Jul 3, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    A.G.
    Hello guys, i am not that familiar with the story of the Azzurro Dino F40 and the mysterious history but this might be interesting. The previous owner of the Azzurro Dino F40 owned a Pagani Zonda F in Yellow with the Chassis Number "76069", unfortunately the same week he took delivery of the Zonda he crashed it in Dubai (February 2015). The Zonda F was sent back to the factory and rebuilt into "760" specification and now called "760 Riviera". He then sold the Zonda to the part owner of Riyadh based luxury car showroom "Seven Car Lounge". This was in 2017 but around early 2020 the collection of Abdul in Dubai fell apart and the part owner of Seven Car Lounge whom is Talal was instructed to sell all the cars on behalf of Abdul, the F40 was in Riaydh but i believe no pictures are public. The F40 was then sold to the UK and has now allegedly found another owner in Dubai. I asked Talal if he knew anything about the original VIN and history but he said he knew nothing about the past. I just find it ironic that the Zonda F chassis has the same last digits as the F40 in Azzurro Dino, i am sure you people know that some collectors like to have their cars in the chassis ending numbers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Any updates on this?

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The BLUE F40 ex-Dubai, confiscated/seized in the UK, has now been very thoroughly inspected by British Law Enforcement and it clearly is 85397 (with assembly number 02475).
    It is not 90969 (which is in AUS).
    That blue F40 is also not the Cannonball AUS May 1994 crash car (that is 85632).

Marcel Massini

cc8s, megamarco9, ShineKen and 5 others like this.
  16. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Is there a story attached to 85397 - stolen, written off or other?

LVP488 and of2worlds like this.
  17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nobody changes the identity of an F40 just for fun because he has nothing else to do.

Marcel Massini

chrixxx, wrxmike, AtSomePoint and 3 others like this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Seems reasonable indeed - so the interesting question (for curious people) is maybe more "what is the story..." than "is there a story..."

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It wasn't crashed or written off. Zero signs of any former damage.

Marcel Massini

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Thanks, so my guess it's that it has been illegally obtained (or kept) at some point - that would be a reason to try hiding its true identity.

21. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I guess the British authorities are involved for import reasons than anything else, as it came into the country under false paperwork, so unless it can be proven to be stolen I imagine it will just get shipped back out to the Middle East if no trace of the previous owner of the car under its correct ID can be found.

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Incorrect numbers have now been cut out and it currently lacks identity. It will go back to the factory who will reassign either the correct original number or possibly a completely new number.

Marcel Massini

23. bakes17

bakes17 Karting

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    It doesn’t have any original wishbones etc and the car has been completely rebuilt so it’s impossible to say that it hasn’t been damaged.
    You don’t completely rebuild an F40 to be like new, that’s supposedly only done 9,000 miles unless there’s a reason...
    The car presents like new...because most of it is. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Just out of curiosity, have you been contacted by British Law Enforcement for any advice regarding this case?