The real Reason I have a Mondial ! | FerrariChat

The real Reason I have a Mondial !

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Sep 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay guys & gals, I know the 2 seaters are more desirable and has a higher resell but the reason I bought and still own a Ferrari Mondial is because its an extension of our family.

My kids have grown up and enjoyed the rides through the years. The trips to school, to the ball park, cars & coffee, MondiPalooza, and the numerous ice cream family outings we do.

This photo says it all, all SMILES baby, this is why I vote that the Mondial is the car to get for your Family's Ferrari experience hands down !

C H E E R S
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Our video now has 10,840 views on YouTube and still going...

Cheers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezai5Kw9Keg]My Ferrari Mondial 3.2 - YouTube[/ame]

3. Mondi88

Mondi88 Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    South West, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great pic Mike!
    I was out with my 5 & 2 year old yesterday. Wouldn't have swapped it for the world (the car or the day).

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    We have had the same experiences. Our kids grew up in the back seat of my 82 Fiat Spider 2000. When that got too big we went for the
    Mondial, which was my dream car since 6th grade. We have had it now for many years. One of our sons is off to college and the other is just behind him. My wife tells me that she would like for us to think about somthing more current. I have and I just can't see it happening. I love my car and I want to have it when the grandkids start comming around in another 10 years or so.
    Anyways, great car.
    - Ron Frohock

5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Yup. This is why the Mondial is the target Ferrari for me. We have 8 and 6 year olds and can't justify a "daddy only" car at this point. Fortunately I REALLY like the looks of the Mondial. Now just need to decide on a Coupe or Cabrio and find the right car.

By the way, I've added a few of those page views on your YouTube video. :)

2cam

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    Thanks for sharing Ron, I know you've been traveling alot, hope you get more drive time.
    Lets see some pics when you get a chance.

2cam, I was in your situation 3 years back. Always loved the Mondial cabrio ever since I saw the movie Scent of a Woman.
    The coupe has grown on me as well, either one, you can't go wrong.

cheers,
    Mike

7. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #7 Rapalyea, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    I wanted to try out a Ferarri and the Mondial was half the cost of the two seater and I bought mine for $30k fifteen months ago. That was a high price back then. After 7,000 miles you could not get me to swap for a two seater. Several reasons. First of all it has more headroom then many pickup trucks. I wear my cowboy hat. It also has giant parcel shelves behind the front seats that some people mistake for seats.

Another thing has to do with appearance. The two seaters look like warp speed space ships without warp speed. The Mondial simply looks elegant Ferrari. Every Sunday I drive down to my local winery [a light red called Hellbender is a kind of Pinot Noire without Pinot grapes but worth the $30 price].

The Porche guys come up oooh and ahhh. But when I show up in my cherry 1988 Lincoln Mark VII the sales lady asks where is my real car. The Mark VII is one hell of a mountain road car, ellegant, perfectly ballanced, effortless neutral/mild oversteer. No one much notices even though it is destinctive.

And here is another weird thing. Not to be taken at face value. But I checked Mondial sales prices recently and they make my $30,000 price look like a fire sale.

[1986 Prugna Coupe]

8. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #8 djs308, Sep 7, 2014
    I took delivery of my Mondial last December. It is my first Ferrari, which has been a dream come true for me. It took just over 30 years to make it happen.

No, it was not my first choice. I had been dreaming of a 1984-85 308 since those cars were rolling off the production line in Maranello up to the present. But as life goes, I was just never able to make it happen.

Then one day, my wife gave me a green light to get a Ferrari. But with one condition. It had to be useable by the entire family – meaning our two young kids were to be able to enjoy it as well. That meant a Mondial.

I had considered the entire range and decided I'd be happiest with the 3.2, and preferably a coupe. Didn't expect to find any as a US spec 3.2 coupe is exceptionally rare. Well, thanks to Fchat, I found one.

No, it hasn't been smooth sailing since I got it. A bunch of unexpected issues popped up. The critical things I took care of already. Some I can live with as-is, some I'll have to take care of in time.

But there is nothing more exciting to me than getting up at the crack of dawn on a lazy Sunday morning, grabbing the fob with that famous prancing horse and the black folding key, and then firing up that 3.2 coupe, before heading out on a nice drive for some "me" time.

Yes, I still want that 308, but getting the chance to take the family along with me is truly special.

9. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    I am a single guy, and I just Luv the looks of the Mondial, that is why I bought one.

10. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Just sold my 308 and got an 86 Mondial 3.2 cabrio for this exact reason. Loving it so far!

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    this post puts a huge smile on my face....

:)

12. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hey Mike,

Thumbs up here, all 4 of us were off to visit the family...only difference is we had our miniature schnauzer Zorro on board.

Lino

13. familyTruck'uh'Sportster

Mar 21, 2012
    Corona, CA
    Full Name:
    Sheldon
    Koolest Family car ever, its also an opportunity to share my enjoyment of all sorts of cars with my wife & kids who are 11 & 9. They have now been in an Enzo, F40, 430, 360, etc. My son, 9 was bliping the throttle of an Aventadore a couple of weeks ago; no two seater could give me the kind of joy to have my whole crew at a cars & coffee / drive. Its priceless; and we meet the nicest people along the way.

14. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I got my Mondial when my kids were 5 and 7. They are now 21 and 23. We used to go for a ride in the mtns often when they were little. My son can't fit in the back anymore, but my wife can, and we now do the guys in front and girls in back. It's the perfect cruiser car for a family. Sporty, good looking without being ostentatious, and it's got a prancing horse! Not comfy, not practical but that's why we still love it. My daughter borrows it when she's in town.

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #15 PV Dirk, Sep 9, 2014
    The wife the dog and the picnic basket. This was new years 2013, we drove to the coast to have a picnic. I think it was the first time I used the straps on the rear of the back seats. Don't want the wine and cheese to tumble :D

16. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    PV, you still inspire me with your cross country in a Mondial!
    I find myself watching your video from time to time. Wish I can do a cross country or a drive down to Florida without worrying about car problems.

Having had my car for over 3 years now, I am a lot more confident in what my car is capable of and what I am capable of in fixing her if she breaks down.
    Be well my friend, hope you get your car back in order soon.

C H E E R S

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ixJp8PRQU[/ame]

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I don't ever get tired of watching that :)

18. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Sorry to be a party pooper...

I bought a Mondi because:

1. Next to an italian 1-cylinder and a V4-cylinder, I wanted an Italian V8. I prefered a Lamborghini or a Maserati.
    2. Because the brands mentioned above have seventies-cars that aren't reachable (for me), and even if I could get one, parts availability is poor.
    3. Other Italian exotics with tractor engines (I don't get the cubic inches race) fell off, because of the unrefined engine choice: Iso, DeTomaso
    4. When it comes to Ferrari I got a bit allergic to the brand, all thanks to mr Schumacher. I was a true F1 fan in times where Prost, Berger, Boutsen, Alesi, Patrese and off course the unfortunate Ayrton Senna crowded the circuit. It all changed when the German entered the arena. First of all, he won everything ( so my heros got second or worse) but the worst was his cockyness about is. Or was it his 'cool', I could bse confused by my enviness. ;)
    5. The branding machine works, but not for me. 2 weeks ago I took my
    Fulvia to an Italian car meet with all brands. I've seen enough Santander shirts for the next decade.
    6. After putting the 2 Modena brands aside, I started looking at Ferrari. They have a beautiful engineered V8. I prefered the Dino 308 GT4 (don't call it a Ferrari please). It's wierd enough for me: Bertone styling and Dino badging made it work for me. But, 2 years ago, the world found out the Dino exists, so prices rocketed. If I wanted I could affort her, but it's against all my rules in hobby money. So, the Dino fell off.
    7. The Mondi is next in line. Why? She looks kinda wierd/cool. It's a controversial car. Always more than 1 opinion. Some like 'em, some find 'em hidious. The important part for this car was the engine. An engine I could wrench on, parts availability is good and pricing is moderate. All defendable in the hobby account.

Don't get me wrong, the Mondi now, isn't second choice. I'm glad I'm a part of the cars history. I love the way she sounds, smells, drives. She's very wrenchable. And important, she's excentric.

O, forgot to mention, we have no kids, we are dinky's. My cars are meant to be driven (hard if possible). They're no show queens, the are the oily, smelly cinderella's.

I'm glad I have her, and I will not trade her for something else. She's a keeper, but don't tell my girl. ;)

19. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Don't tell my girl? Sounds like this baby is your new girl.

20. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #20 19633500GT, Sep 18, 2014
    Today I officially "joined" the club, and bought my first Ferrari, it being a 1982 Mondial 8. I am very excited, I have a baby girl due in November, and frankly mentioning it was a "2+2" earned me some kind of mysterious brownie points as I justified this to my wife haha. I am going to drive down South and trailer it home within the next two weeks, she has 23,xxx original miles, and is a two owner...I can't wait for the grin to start, as I wouldn't have thought at 28 I would have the ability (8 years ago I was a professional beer drinker ;)

21. Brooklands

Brooklands Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Man, forget the trailer, fly down and drive it home, these cars are awesome for road trips. Watch PV Dirks video a couple more time and go for it!!!

22. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

Congrats! The Mondial is one of my favorite Ferraris. Keep us informed and updated on your ventures.

Joe

23. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I love the looks of Mondial coupes because the roof balances the long body below the wast line. I think it is one of Pinnifarina's best designs. I get lots of positive comments from people including owners of new Ferrari's. It's also a practical GT car that has mid engine sporty character, two trunks, and a usable back seat.
    Bob

24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    My horsy likes to herd with orther horsies cross country borders :D and at least 2 times a week to the office. So it is a daily driver for me sort of speak.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv6PbT-4ba0]Italy trip May 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

25. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I look forward to it, thank you! It should be fun.

@Brooklands: I would drive it home, but, buying a 24ft race trailer was part of the Mondial purchase, the guys cleaning out his airplane hanger, so the car and trailer will be picked up the 2nd week in Oct and taken back to CT with me. I'll do my best to snap pics and document it all.