The rejuvenation of # 02986 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The rejuvenation of # 02986

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion Dave. The mechanic and I took the car for a blast around town this afternoon and the car handled very well despite not having the alignment done yet. I was very surprised at how close the mechanic got things. Just fine tuning to go.

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    You can always align the way it was done before...at least to get a preliminary one, even though
    don't see the need to, as the results are great, if you know what you are doing.

4 jackstands and strings, plumb weigh + a tape measure. We always did that at the race track with a 935
    and it worked like a charm.

Of course, you can go laser now :)

Regards, Alberto

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I like your old school ways. I'm doing some miles and then going for the laser.

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I did it the old-school way as Alberto described and never looked back. It is so convenient to have all the time in the world to fine adjust (Time consuming with shims) and go for a ride and double check all settings after some extensive driving. You would be amazed have accurate you can work it out with a reasonable level floor, 4 jacks, two strings and a simple tool like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Camber-Castor-Strut-Wheel-Alignment-Gauge-Tool-Kit-DIY-Magnetic-Auto-Tool-/222572054212

Nice work you are doing to that lovely car!

Best Peter

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for your input Peter. I didn't know this could be done at home. Something to consider.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I believe all of the home options still require a 4 post lift so you can get under the car to make adjustments. I know you have one, Skipp. I have a 2-post and really would like to have both ;)

7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I've got the 1-post lift. Alignment isn't my fortay, and time is limited this time of year. Going with laser and a professional.

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I had an epic 10o mile drive today on a loop I've plotted outside the city. Great country roads and zero traffic. Not many roads like these left around here. Elevation changes, curves, it's a virtual road course ! 20 mile laps.

Killed some bugs.

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Got stranded today due to a broken positive battery terminal. I knew it was not tight, but figured as long as it was making some contact it would work. Not so. Battery drained and went dead after stopping for a while. Living on a battery charger will disguise this issue......for a while. Waited three hours for a tow that was pitifully slow, (thanks Hagerty Roadside). Since I knew the battery was new and had been on the charger, I failed to think of a simple jumpstart for THREE HOURS ! Got it jumped and made it home without the tow. New terminal installed and car now working fine.

BoKu likes this.
  10. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    How did you get a jump start? I had to get my car jumpstarted, and for whatever reason, it blew out a diode in the Dinoplex. That was an expensive lesson.

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I was broken down at my son's school and the custodian jumped it off his truck like any other car. Maybe I got lucky, but I was thrilled to be on my way and avoiding dealing with your average tow person who I talked with via phone and was not impressed with, to say the least !

Is there typically a issue with jumping the Dino ? I guess it could also could have been push started.

12. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson

I connected the jumper cables from a car to the battery of my Dino. My Dino started immediately. When I removed the jumper cables, the car immediately died, and it would not start after that. I was told that when I disconnected the jumper cables, there was a surge from the alternator that blew out a diode in the Dinoplex. I saved the old Dinoplex, and one of these days I will gut it and have the new replacement system installed in the box. I was told that I should have disconnected the Dinoplex and used the alternate coil.

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for your insight. I guess I got lucky.

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The other day, this happened to one of my batteries on a tender, yikes!!!
    Must have been quite an explosion, and in a car with webers, and plenty of fuel fumes.
    Fortunately nothing happened! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Regards, Alberto

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Skipp, Could you post your alignment data, before and after?

Regards, Alberto

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Skipp!
    Very enlightening. Spot on, on everything!
    In one of the photos, I saw a big wedge on post #170 that looked really big.

Regards, Alberto

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Remember that Skipp's before values were from a suspension rebuild without an alignment. So, don't be misunderstood that the car was normally that out of wack.

I recently worked with a tech to align my Maserati GT with a slightly older Hunter and still very sensitive. When you alter one wheel, it does effect them all. So, the further you are out, the more screwing around it takes. Very similar to tuning a guitar with a Floyd Rose tremolo.

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes, the shims were racing shims that were modified (cut open) for easy assembly.

21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Very true. Every millimeter of movement effected all four wheels. My OCD couldn’t handle that job.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Skipp - perhaps I missed it....why is your LR tire only at 17 PSI?

BTW - I love that car - especially in silver :)

23. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Dave you have really sharp, detailed eyes. That’s why I’m glad you fix my stickies !
    That photo was taken hours after the tire pressure monitors had been disconnected from the car. No idea why it says that, but I know it’s not accurate.