The rejuvenation of # 02986 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

The rejuvenation of # 02986

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Cool ;)

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Took a nice drive today. Car is amazingly responsive with the new suspension.

Hit a milestone today !
    After 45 years, she has hit 30,000 miles.

Dave rocks likes this.
  3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login It’s time to stop another round of leaks. This time it’s the gear box sump cover studs. Hope these work and thanks to those who suggested these.

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login It’s been pretty quiet around here, so I decided to install these sealing washers to the gearbox sump plate.

All went well until I ran into one damaged stud thread. The nut came off, but won’t go back on. Oh well, the rest of them are done and I’ll get the remaining thread repaired next week.

Merry Christmas to everyone here,

Skipp

5. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    I am impressed. I wish I had your skills. Congratulations on the beautiful Dino

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thank you Sal. The acquisition of my “skills” has been a uphill journey. You can do it too with the righ guidance.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Skipp - the nut won't start because the lead of the thread is damaged. You can use a file (thread file is best) to redress the lead.

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Skipp you are one of the last guys wrenching on the Dino yourself....I love it. Keep it coming. Best Peter

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks Peter. I guess I’m the last from a generational standpoint, age 48, that will remember these cars. And young enough to still want to work on them myself. It may be the last one for me, so I’m trying to get as much pleasure out of it as possible.

19633500GT likes this.
  10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have it the same way, though I'm slightly older...-:). It also seems like the price of the car has something to do with it. The more expensive the car is the less DIY type of guys you see. Maybe that is what have effected the lacking amount of technical minded input on this site?

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    That makes sense. Although, these cars are as simple as they get. I would think those who have had them long term (not much invested) would be doing work themselves, but age of the owners has to be a factor. The only cars I hate working on are the ones with aero trays that have to be removed first. My Challenge Stradale is a pain because my lift doesn’t allow the aero tray to clear the rear wheels for removal. I used to do that one on jackstands, but at 48 I’m getting tired of being on my back under there.

The 246 section is totally dead lately. Where are the enthusiasts ? Let’s see some action out there! Dino’s rock.

pshoejberg likes this.
  12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  13. DUNTOVFAN

DUNTOVFAN Rookie

Jan 1, 2018
    Beautiful 246,my all time favorite Ferrari,V6 and all!

14. aero

aero Formula Junior

May 8, 2011
    the netherlands
    Full Name:
    Emil Dubbelman
    May I ask you where you bought these washers or what the brand is? I have the same leakages with my Dino 208GT4.

15. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    They are called Dowty seals and/or Dowty washer - used on hydraulic couplings etc. Easy to find in a good hardware shop or on ebay :) I've used them on a couple of occasions and they work well.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  17. aero

aero Formula Junior

May 8, 2011
    the netherlands
    Full Name:
    Emil Dubbelman
    Thanks, hopefully I can order something like that in Europe (Netherlands).

18. Scalino

Scalino Rookie

Jul 30, 2017
    Just read through the tread. Lovely Dino and great to see DIY, these are the cars to do it on. It's just nuts and bolts in the end!

You can, just search for bonded seals, or usit ring. I recently bought an assorted kit for € 20 M6-M22 or something like that in Holland.

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I decided to order a new steering wheel from Superformance in order to preserve the original. Looks like a perfect reproduction.

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login After corresponding with several folks here, I decided to reach out to Fred Winterbourne concerning his updated ignition system. He’s agreed to do another run of these ignition upgrades in late 2018.

Not wanting to destroy the original box in my car, I was able to locate a NOS ignition box on EBay Italy. I’ll use this box for the new system and keep the original ignition intact.

I originally thought I had missed this item I was trying to buy. A few days later I got a notice that it was sold to ME ! Google translate is a great tool. I was fortunate to find this box at 1/3 of the asking price of others on EBay.

Nothing else to report lately. She’s been a joy.

21. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    You can save yourself a lot of grief when you remove the inner potted circuit board by knowing where the two screws are that hold the whole lump in place. First use a heat gun and flat prybar to separate the upper half (with the data plate) from the lower half. One small screw that Mr. Winterburn wants you to save is near the electrical plug connection. Drill down about 1/2 inch and use a heat gun and screwdriver to expose the screw and then remove it. The other fastener is more than just a screw but is an electrical component with a screw base. You can see the bottom of the screw from the back of the Dinoplex unit. Drill down a bit and then back to the heat gun and screwdriver to remove the potting enough to tear the electrical connections loose and then unscrew it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Much appreciated Racerboy. Not looking forward to doing this. I haven’t even looked at it yet, so any further insight would be greatly appreciated!

23. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It’s been a bit since I worked on the Dino. I had a loose ground cable saga today that I got to deal with rather than going for the nice drive I had planned. After some multimeter work, the issue was solved.

In the process,I discovered another issue that needs attention. My brake fluid resovoir hoses are literally sweating brake fluid. WTF !

Seems some mechanical genius used non brake fluid rated hoses. Superformance sells this hose in 6mm and 8mm. Does anyone know which is the correct size ?

24. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Call GT Car Parts, speak to Bill. Also their prices are as good or better and arrive sooner.