The Rest of the Story... (from Buttonwillow) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Rest of the Story... (from Buttonwillow)

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Bmyth-FDC, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Race_S4 - Thanks for posting the video - I enjoyed that. What kind of car is that in the vid?

Thanks

2. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Byron sorry to see what happend to your car. I always loved to hear it roar around with us at the meets with that loud a** sweet sounding exhaust that only a Ferrari could muster. Its a shame. I always get nervous when it comes to towing a vehicle. Sounds like the guy forgot to strap it down or he didn't know how to properly strap down a Ferrari to begin with. No matter what i would insist on getting the car tottaled out. Since this is a high dollor item judging from the few pics Costa posted I'm afraid the insurance company might just try to pay the repair and not tottal it (damage doesn't look as substantial as I was expecting tho juding by the fact the wheels on rollers I'm guessing that the wheels were shoved up through the fenders displacing the whole suspension (like Rally Style when they go off some major big jumps and send the struts through the shock towers).

I know you don't want to get stuck with a salvage ferrari so you really gotta throw your weight around if they try to get you here and want to repair the car rather then salvage it. Remember you can sue the trucking company for the fact that your vehicle is worth substantially less money after being a heavily damaged and repaired Ferrari regardless if it was repaired to "Industry Standards."

And whatever happens don't get too sad. Every car has its fun. Think of it like the end one beautiful realationship and the begining of another. I'm sure your next Ferrari will be even more fun and you will have that new car excitement that everyone gets when they get a new ride. I just hope this mishap doesn't end up costing too much out of your pocket for someone elses mistake.

3. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Byron,
    Sorry to hear this bad news. Friday when I talked to you about my having mixed feelings about tracking my car, well, they are less mixed now.
    Be sure to tell your ins. co. how well maintained your car was, with documented state of the art, engine out service. This should add to the current market value.
    Ouch,
    STEVE

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wow... Byron, this is some heavy stuff here, dude... i am SO sorry to hear about this... The worst things always happen to the nicest people... This blows... Even still, though, your spritely disposition remains in tact... You're resilient, that's for sure... i know you'll bounce back from this one, no sweat... i hope to see you in August, too... Hang in there, buddy...

5. J Ritt@StopTech

Jan 20, 2004
    Byron,
    It's Jeff from StopTech...met you this weekend at the track...I was driving the silver 350Z. Rich told me what happened...ugh. Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope everything works out for you. I guess the best thing to do is take solace in the fact that you while your car was injured, you were not. Good luck on getting this resolved.
    Jeff

6. gezuvor

gezuvor Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard Barker
    Hmmmm.... Salvage Title = Dedicated Track Car... ;)

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hm, now thats an idea :)

Hey Rich, what do you do in aviation? Just read your profile...

8. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for the support and encouragement. Brian is right in that the tow company is 100% liable for this mistake. This has nothing to do with my insurance - and if they do ask, it is a challenge car, and I was at a Racing School all weekend (Rich will back this one up).

The reality of all of this is really starting to set in now. It's gut wrenching, indeed. But like any situation in life, all good things must come to an end. This just paves the way to a new one ahead.

I have a few options in front of me for replacement vehicles, but right now, I just want to sort this all out, make sure the whole situation is resolved, then start to think about buying another car. It's still mind boggling to me that a car that is chained down can go flying off the back of a flat-bed.

And yes, the insurance will probably try to low-ball me and tell me it's repairable. Sure, anything is repairable, but will it ever be the same? NO. A dedicated track car? Possibly. But if that were the case, I would have to deck it all out and tow and back and forth from/to the track like Carl. Then I would have to spend $$ to buy the car back, buy a trailer, a truck to tow it...not to mention fix it!! possible but not practical or probable.

No, judging by the looks of it, the damage is pretty substantial. Frame damage is definite. Suspension looks shot. Who knows what it did to the transmission when it fell. Cosmetics is destroyed front back top and side. There are still lots of goodies on the car - a freshly tuned (30k service) engine with less than 23k miles on it, new brembo's and race pads (2 days old), a challenge exhaust, CF factory daytona seats from the Tommy Hilfiger #29 F355 car, $3k stereo, harnesses, roll cage, challenge livery, gauges, glass, and a host of others.

Now the big question is... if I don't replace it with a Ferrari right away, will I be ostracized??? ;)

Right now, I'm still waiting from the insurance's specialty claims dept. They seem to be taking their time, which is just costing $$ by the day. It's a shame for them. I'm just relieved that the car fell away from the freeway and didn't cause any injuries to oncoming motorists. Mistakes happen - I'm sure the tow-truck driver is experienced and this was an honest fluke/freak mistake. That's what insurance is for.

I will miss the car, that's for sure.

I just got photos from the event transferred to a cd... my power supply to my camera didn't want to work, so I had to go into the Sony Style store in the mall to burn it on a cd there... got to see some of the racing video footage we took on mpeg on their 70" projection tv... wow!! :) I gotta get me one of those tv's that take memory stick inserts!! :)

Thanks again for the support - I'll keep everyone posted on how this unfolds.

Byron

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm still bummed to hear about it Byron. :(

Your one of the first Ferrari owners I talked to & definitely the closest!

Did you say you have a pick of it on the side of the hill?

10. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron

Jerry,
    Thanks for your condolences... It really is a bummer. Unfortunately, my digi ran low on juice when this all happened. I was only able to snap a few shots of the scene and right after it was re-loaded onto the truck. I was not really in the right state to be taking tons of pics... Plus, the lighting was really bad.

Costa's pics say it all... but I do have some really nice shots from the track event that show how nice it looked (to me anyhow) in its natural racing environment...

B.

11. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Byron, call me later if you want to swing by tonight and talk further...

As a side note, my right rear tire on my Honda CRV blew out on the 73 today at 90MPH. It was really smokin when I pulled over...

12. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    What a bummer. I really hope it all works out for you.

I suppose, though, you could part it out, and probably get more from the parts than the car is worth. The engine alone most be worth a pretty penny. Hmmmm, will those wheels fit a 308?

Maybe this will be an opportunity to go for a 355C?

If you need any help/support over a beer, etc, just give me a call.

Dom

13. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow. I dunno what to say. I am quite sorry now I never made it out to see her. I hope everything works out for you. Even better, I hope she will make it through this ordeal and be back in action soon. Sounds like you guys had quite a track day though. Good stories. Stay tough Byron.

Eric

14. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi
    Byron,
    at least i hope you had fun spinning the tires with me in the Enzo!!!

15. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Costa,
    That was an experience of a lifetime...hopefully, I'll get to spend more seat time in that car again in the near future. amazing. thanks!

Byron

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Byron, I am soooooo sorry to hear about this. It is so shocking to hear that it fell off of the truck. I'm betting that the tow truck driver was lead footing it, and the truck was bouncing around big time. Man that just sucks a$$. As for you being ostrisized.......puleeze dude. How can we ostrisize one of the guys that started the FDC. Besides you said it yourself, you will be getting another one. Man bro I feel for you.

17. costa

costa Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Costantino Bertuzzi

The neighborhood is still looking for that "plane" that was flying very low..........

ihihhihiihi

18. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    I don't know what to say... I was reading your post and thought all you had was some minor mishaps on the track. When I reached the part where you car fell of the track, I could have sworn my heart skipped a beat. Then when the photos came, I was devastated even more. I am truly sorry this happened. I remember you revving your engine at CC, I could have sworn it popped my ear drum. Nobody ever wants to see this happen, it was truly a wonderful car.

Best regards,
    David

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Byron, I'm terribly sorry to hear this happened.

I would immediately go purchase some lottery tickets.

Get your paperwork in order and browse the market for cars. Though I warn you, if you buy another NSX, I will have to kick your ass! :)

I'm glad you were far away from the mess. Had you been following the tow truck when it happened, I don't know if you'd be in the hospital (heart attack seeing your baby commit suicide per Amanda) or the tow truck driver (after a good old fashioned beat down).

Keep your spirits up!

Sunny

20. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Hey Costa, I sent you a private message.

21. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    BYRON.
    Think FERRARI & Only FERRARI.
    We will find the right one for you.

22. Throttleman

Throttleman Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2003
    Pasadena,CA
    Full Name:
    Jay Ablett
    I too want to chime in with my condolences. what a shock to read. I am very sorry for your loss and feel extremely greatful to have had the opportunity to ride in it after CC. I an not sure I would have had the composure not to take the tow truck driver up on his offer of a punch in the face. I am sure some of the anger has set in now after the shock of it all. Through the whole ordeal it sounds like you kept a level head. I am stunned, what else is there to say? What an a$$ the driver must have been, after all it's now every day you get to haul a Ferrari! You'd think anyone but a sh*t-for-brains would take extra care of it! Yours,

-Jay.

23. DynastyD_308qv

Nov 24, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Ron Couch Jr.
    Byron,

Just heard the horrible news from my boy as I walked in the door... Had to read your post as to what happened immediatly!

All I can say is.... " I feel your pain... now and when you deal with the adjusters." If you get the opportunity to buy back the car after it's totaled, I would. You might get it up and running again for much less than you think. (I made a bunch this way) Could be a GREAT project car for you and FDC's adopted son Jordan :)

Ron

24. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Byron- Just saw this been off for a while. Sorry to hear and Good luck with everything and finding another car. I'm sure you will be back in no time...

25. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Oh man, this just hurts. I wish you luck Byron. Personally I would like to see that Challenge car being repaired, but I understand that wouldn't be in your best interest. Good luck pal!