The Restoration Starts Here: 275GTB Shortnose 07333 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Restoration Starts Here: 275GTB Shortnose 07333

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTB, Apr 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    That much effort and craft put into doing it the wrong way. Seems it would have been easier to do it in proper metal.
    In any case its great to see it being done right finally.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    looks like when the candy coating is chipped off an M&M.

3. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Why would someone do that?

4. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    It isn't a short nose, it isn't a long nose, just what kind of nose is it? As Jimmy D said " only the nose knows!
    Gary Bobileff

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We took over 50 lbs of it off of 0854.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Previous ads list it as short nose

7. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Holy S**t, I have never seen such a liberal application of filler!

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you were not joking! this will be quite a thread indeed.

best

9. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Thats amazing. That filler work must have taken sooo long i cant imagine why someone would put so much effort into that. Who ever he was he clearly had talent, so why not work the metal. (does anyone know who it is ??)Would love to know the back story on that. Has the car been whacked and is "to short" or twisted and this is the way they made it straight? Just on a silly note did not the auction or buyer not put a paint meter on the car and find this... i would think this would be simple due diligence. So glad the new owner is making it right.

10. Enzos dad

Enzos dad Rookie

Dec 22, 2009
    Schellville, Calif.
    Full Name:
    RJM
    I feel alot better about what I do in my little shop ! Where was this masterpiece created? Good luck, looks like you made the right decision!

11. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Mark,

great you share this with us! I am very curious why they made a longer nose. The metal underneeth doesnt seem to be that bad. Also in time the filler would become visible due to cracking of the paint due to expanding of the filler. I never saw that much on a car, I think the rule of thumb that any amount above 2 mm will give paint problems in the long run, although this might also have an maximum....Above 5 mm, no problema.

Keep us posted, and imagine that you dent the car just slightly on his/her beautifull nose...her nose-job will become visible on an awful way.

ciao
    Oscar

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Holy ****, amazing.

Pete

13. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi Guys,
    Let’s clear a few things up.

The car is a short nose, always has been a short nose and always will be a short nose. Visually you could not tell that this work had been done (yes a paint meter would show up a problem). Crap that it is – it is truly an amazing piece of sculpting – plaster work like this would not be out of place in the Sisten Chapel!!! I have a chunk of the filler as a paper weight in my study, its very effective holds paper down in anything up to a force 5 wind.

Have a close look at the pictures, you will see ripples all over the nose cone where it has been shunted and hammered back into a shape relatively similar to an original nose cone.

Please remember that all Ferraris at that time: 275 GTB, GTS, 330 GTC etc did not have the chassis legs running into the nose section. There is no structural strength behind that piece of metal (or plastic in my case), the bumpers offer no protection or strength. So over a 46 year period it is no surprise that the nose has taken a few knocks (bare in mind it is still the original nose metal on my car), even more so given my car was raced in different periods of its life. The noses on these cars is a soft spot, even a parking bump can cause a ripple in the metal. There will be very very few 275GTB’s in the world that have not had a nose job – either hammered, filled and repaired or a complete new metal section.

We knew the state the car was in, that’s why we bought it to do a full restoration. Out of curiosity we had one of the leading authorities on Ferrari’s looked over the car before it went to the bodyshop in Italy – and all the visual dimensions were spot on, out by a few millimetres at most – but the concern was directed at the rear-end. Even the guys at Classiche never spotted it until the skin was peeled back.

The car is not twisted, the chassis is absolutely perfect and true – in fact best part of the car. I will post pictures of the chassis on the steel bed getting checked over in due course, once we have finished the nightmare chapters – oh yes there is plenty more to come!!!!

I bought the car knowing I was going to bare-shelled it and do a complete restoration. Anyone that has done this before knows what to expect, there are very few cars out there that don’t hold a surprise or two – and as I said earlier, they guys in Italy regard this one as good.

A note worth remembering – unless a car is very well documented and has amazing history, most unknown cars are in auctions for a reason – we may not have x-ray eyes but go in there with your eyes open, always expect the worst!

14. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    I am not sure who the "expert" was who examined the car, but in looking at the first picture you posted, it appears that the front is extended. Most of the period photos I have seen of short-noses, show the mouth of the car starting at the end (or beginning) of the headlight bucket. The 275 Owners Manual has some pictures that illustrate this very well.

George

15. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi, I am not going to be disclosing any names either, but i can assure you he is top of his game.
    Lets just put it down to camera angle. He inspected the car physically, your looking at some pictures. (Although other pictures certainly show it starting at the end of the headlight cowling).
    Lets move on, as that nose has had its day - all will be reveiled going forward very soon.
    cheers

16. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Yes, I wasn't trying to be confrontational, but it just doesn't seem to resemble period photos of 275's. This is a fascinating thread, and I thank you for taking the time to post it.

George

17. cmlf1

cmlf1 Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    I am surprised that that amount of filler stayed adhered to the metal and did not crack after short time. As a previous post stated, there must have been so much time inveested in application and shaping and final sanding of all of that filler that I cannot imagine it cose effective as opposed to having the nose properly repaired pr sheet metal replaced. I would like to know what manufaturer that filler material is made by, as most fillers would have not likely held up that well and not cracked or shrunk in that volume.

Carl

18. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Sadly I don't think we will ever know - no one is owning up to this beautiful peice of craftsmanship!
    The one thing i can say, the finish was just beautiful, without very close inspection from under the panel you just could not tell!. it even felt right, sounded right when tapped, it is truly bizarre.

The paper weight i have made out from a cross-section of the filler shows 100's of layers in many different shades - it looks like a geological sample painted red on one side. Think i will call it the Maranello fosil!

19. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can't believe how much filler they used.

20. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
  21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    notice the ad says, "has correct bumpers but never mounted".

23. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I think you need more car to go with your filler-mobile. Unreal.

24. cmlf1

cmlf1 Karting

Jun 22, 2005
    As others and myself have stated, the time involved is staggering, especially working the grille opening and the recession for the badge for a perfect fit, and the body line above the grill had to have been a project.Was this filler material very hard and dense, or lighter like a foam like substance?

Carl

25. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    very hard and dense - just plain simple classic body filler, with different shades where it has been mixed with different amounts of hardener.