The Restoration Starts Here: 275GTB Shortnose 07333 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Restoration Starts Here: 275GTB Shortnose 07333

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTB, Apr 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    thanks, I knew i had read it some where!

I love this, this really sums it all up "Never driven in the rain or snow, never crashed."

It cracks me up laughing, the car spent its early life in Monte Carlo, it racked up 9000 miles in a few years back in the sixties, it was owned by a rich racing driver.
    What a complete load of bollox, it rains and snows (a lot) in Monte - just watch the rally every year you will see horrific weather conditions.

I suppose a rich racing driver can be put down as one careful owner, never tracked.

Wait to you see what else i have to reveal over the coming weeks. Never crashed ha ha!

2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #77 275GTB, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nightmare No2 - the pain in the baulk-head..............
    a nice before picture, note the area around the battery tray on the left and the brake servo area on the right. In this picture and without too much inspection everything looks nice and solid.
    Both areas are very prone to corrosion due to leaking battery acid and brake fluid.

before......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #78 275GTB, Apr 6, 2011
  4. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    the general outline and "straightness" of the body appears from the postings, to be pretty straight-stunningly straight....
    Which begs the question...why the "skim" coat of body putty...the car LOOKS STRAIGHT...
    is there a "crookedness" which cannot be seen in the posted pics?

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

mark, your attitude is fantastic. this is an amazing thread made better ny your fun commentary! thank you and keep the expose coming!!

can mike sheehan join the discussion defending his description of the car while under his brokerage? that would be fun to hear.

pcb

6. Enzos dad

Enzos dad Rookie

Dec 22, 2009
    Schellville, Calif.
    Full Name:
    RJM
    I hope the same shop didnt work on the motor!!!

7. Apis Mellifera

Apr 6, 2011
    Mark,
    It's wonderful to see the progress on the car. I would never have guessed it was in such poor condition. I may have an interesting picture or two of the car if you're interested. I can't figure out how to PM you.

8. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

A bunch of things here,

First of i want a piece of that "play putty"

You should auction it off !

Yes all Ferrari's of that time have had nose damage and will have nose damage again.. very soft area.

Sounds like you did your research before buying the car and knew what you would be getting into. Good for you. Bottom line is if the frame is straight and everything else is "there" and you knew you are going to do a "ground up" then the previous repairs don't really matter because you are going to fix it anyway.

I would just love to meet the guy who could do the filler work like that ! He should be making sculptures !

9. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi, yes, from 10 feet the car looks amazing, body appears very original and straight.
    As discussed on the previous page....there is no crookedness, just a love of plastic filler, ok more like an obsession!

Previously: "The car is not twisted, the chassis is absolutely perfect and true – in fact best part of the car. I will post pictures of the chassis on the steel bed getting checked over in due course, once we have finished the nightmare chapters – oh yes there is plenty more to come!!!!"

The "skim" coat of plastic was all over the car, or used to be, now its all gone. Fortunately it was only the nose area that was applied with a cement mixer and trowel, everywhere else was relatively thin, i.e. less than 2 inches thick.

I am going to recycle all the plastic that was scrapped off and build a TVR, in fact i have enough plastic to resurrect this manufacturer and do a year long re-run of the Griffith!

I now have a new theory - the short nose was prone to lifting at high speed, so they redesigned and developed the long nose. One of the previous owners, did not like this change of design - so he had a eureka moment: "Let me apply 80kg of crap to the nose cone, approximately the same weight as a small fat man sitting on the nose, this will stop lift at speed (also the extra weight will reduce top speed)" Brilliant he though and off he went with a sledge hammer to knock ten bells of **** out of the nose of his Ferrari.
    Mystery solved.

10. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi, Welcome to the thread, and FerrariChat! Hope you are enjoying this adventure.
    I have sent you a PM with my email, would be great to hear any history, good or bad about my mistress with the plastic surgery obssesion.

many thanks Mark

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Only you would call 2 inches "relatively thin"
    That you've kept a sense of humor and proportion speaks well of your sanity. :)

12. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
  13. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi, thanks. when I bought the car, i spoke to the boys at Autosport Design. They were very helpful and sent me a copy of all the worksheets, invoices, costs, parts used etc, while the car was in their care.

I think from memory, when I cross referenced the work sheets, "front end strip, sort and repaint" was referring to brakes, suspension, wishbones etc - but i may be wrong, I will check again when i get home.

cheers

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    THE AD SAYS "FABRICATE NEW HEADLIGHT COVERS AND SORT FITMENT OF HEADLIGHTS".
    SORRY FOR THE CAPS. sounds like there was an issue w/ the front end from the get-go.

15. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    fair assumption. But we know the nose was damaged, does it really matter when it was damaged? Let you in to a little secrect - it is nose longer on the car. but sssshhhh, yopu'll spoil my thread!

the headlight covers were replaced ie the glass bits that cover the lamps and the lamps refitted and adjusted. I do remember this in the paper work. No idea what they were like, but can imagine if previously original they would be chipped and cracked over 40 years plus of use.

16. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #92 Vintage V12, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    It's always nice to look back at a car's history but Mark is taking this car to another level. I am sure it's going to be fantastic. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
    We love pictures!

17. CarreraCaballo

CarreraCaballo Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    Full Name:
    Y.F.A
    Very interesting restoration and documentation. Great job!
    Can't wait to see/read more :)

Greetz,

Joseph

18. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    How would you build up filler that thick, many many applications with large plastering tools? You would need to buy 10-20 5 gallon buckets. But obviously done well.

I recall seeing a factory fresh boxer in the 80's getting a repaint and the filler was 1/8 to 3/8 thick across the entire thing.

19. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    At this rate there will be no body left :-/

20. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #96 275GTB, Apr 9, 2011
    Nightmare No.3 - The Secret under the red paint!
    The Top corner of the left wing, screen pillar and roof.

We can start the same way as the other nightmares, a nice picture of shinny paint and good lines......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #97 275GTB, Apr 9, 2011
  22. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :eek::eek:
    It just keeps getting more juicy by the day.

23. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
  24. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    This is beginning to turn into a bit of a horror movie! once all the nightmares are revealed, and there a few more to go, we will get to the angle grinder chapters - stay tuned!

cheers
    Mark