The Resurrection and Evolution of F40 86878 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Resurrection and Evolution of F40 86878

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by fbrs2, Jul 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    No fun at the moment. At the last outing it was very hot track and couldn't keep water temps from creeping up. Problem traced to weird radiator design. Dockings are building us a new one. They've done some really nice work for me before so I'm really looking forward to see what they come up with...

2. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
  3. tryptomine

tryptomine Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    France
    He changes the gears on the steering wheel ?

4. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Hewland semi automatic sequntial I think, yes. Hopefully bulletproof unlike the period sequentials some of the LM/GTE's used

5. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I was going to ask about this too. The gearbox question has been answered but have they retained the original engine or has this been changed also?

6. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Yes engine is fully rebuilt 'race' spec F40, LM intercoolers etc... think it's good for low 700s. FWIW the car retains a clutch and has been engineered such that the original gear box can be swapped back in should the owner wish...

Ferrari27 likes this.
  7. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    One of many amazing cars in his collection going by his pistonheads threads.

That little vid did give me the motivation to head back into the workshop and do some of the less fun jobs on my little project today.

8. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    You updating a build thread anywhere?

9. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
  10. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
  11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    If someone needs a set F40 GTE IHI turbo’s....

12. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I worked for "J in FL" when he purchased this car and met "V" a couple times. I never had the chance to see the car in person and only heard of what happened a few years after I left the company. Glad to see it all worked out!

13. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Figured I'd do a quick update of development over the winter.

First of all we weren't happy with the temperatures on a hot track last summer so we had Dockings build us a new radiator and ducting. We also swapped the stock pump with an adapter and ecu controlled motorsport unit. Cooling is now superb, in a recent dyno day they were turning the fans off to keep her hot!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F140C likes this.
  14. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    F140C and Acacg like this.
  15. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
  16. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    That is some seriously wide rubber that now fills the arches very nicely :)

fbrs2 likes this.
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Are those Toyo Proxes R888R? Tread design looks familiar. Are they directional tires? The right side looks in the opposite direction as the left....maybe they can be mounted like that no prob as I'm not entirely sure but it caught my eye.

18. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Thanks. Yes my 4 year old couldn't stop giggling when he saw them so we know it's good!

It's set up for clockwise tracks. ;)
    You're right they are r888r and they all do that Sir. Looks a bit silly I agree but according to Toyo there is only one tyre for both sides and makes no difference to performance...

19. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Looks superb. Do you have a sense of whether it is the radiator or the presumably better flow rate of the new pump that is more beneficial? I could do with better cooling for the mid-summer days but a new radiator has not improved temps significantly.

Again, congratulations on this fantastic project.

fbrs2 likes this.
  20. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Thanks Red Sled. Just did 40 odd hard laps of Silverstone, nice warm day, running temp 73-76! Very happy. It's hard to say which mod made the biggest difference but my understanding of the oem water pump is that it recirculates straight back to the engine until the thermostat opens the pipe to the radiator but I don't think it closes the recirculation loop allowing some hot water to bypass the radiator and go back into the engine. As you can see we took off the whole pump assembly and just circulate all coolant through the new rad.

Our old radiator had inlet and outlet at the bottom. This is obviously a poor design...

Red Sled likes this.
  21. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Had Fraser Mckellar help dial in the new m150 at Silverstone today. Collected a tonne of data, once hot IAT's held between 40 and 50 degrees all day with peak up to 54 in the slow 3rd gear sections each lap. Ambient was 19.

luigisayshello likes this.
  22. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Forgot to add Luigi, didn't suffer from any apparent heat soak power loss like my 993gt2 used to on track. 6-7 laps in and we were still almost hitting 7000 in 5th at the bottom of Hangar Straight... :D

luigisayshello likes this.
  23. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
  24. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Unfortunately one of the front OZ center locks came loose after just the warm up laps so we decided to put the bbs back on to enjoy the day. Looks like the mating surface is poorly finished on the OZ's so will need to be machined and refinished otherwise she was faultless.

25. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Forgot to add, if you've got a new radiator and still having temperature problems might be worth giving Matt at Fearnsport in Silverstone a call. The adapter plate and pump to replace the stock arrangement is done engine in and is probably quite easily reversible. Whilst we have our ecu controlling pump via a dual half bridge, the pump can come with its own controller if you're on the stock ecu. No exaggeration we're running 25c cooler than last summer...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Red Sled likes this.