The Resurrection and Evolution of F40 86878 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Resurrection and Evolution of F40 86878

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by fbrs2, Jul 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Some sliding around last week :D

Photo credit Jordan Poole @jordanp.photography

Attached Files:

2. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    And a bit of faster stuff

Four7EightBHP likes this.
  3. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

A 25 degree improvement is exceptional! Very much appreciate your ideas, and also the contact for Fearnsport. Very useful to know about the recirculation valve not closing, and I was able to verify that it was the case with a thermocouple on the return pipe at the weekend. Judging by the diameter of that pipe, a good proportion of coolant must be bypassing the radiator loop.

Thanks for the advice. Super helpful. The hunt for a cooler F40 continues.

4. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    The recirculation to the engine is supposed to close when it's hot... if yours isn't you might just have a bad thermostat?

http://www.birdman308.com/service/thermostat/thermostat.htm

5. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Exactly. I'll try a replacement thermostat and then check if the valve has failed.

Loving your videos btw - very cool!

6. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Quick update. All came together for some incredible track fun this week. Some new centre lock nuts have solved our mystery self untorquing wheel issue, it seems the BBS and OZ have very slightly different locking surface profile... lesson learned! The grip from those fat GTE OZ's is hard to comprehend allowing corner speeds a whole gear higher and some alarming exit speeds... :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud and chrixxx like this.
  7. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Now for the sad news... the glorious X-OST 'race' exhausts were simply too loud for UK race tracks most of the time; the big bore track silencers we've made are incredibly efficient, mm perfect and should be good for every track in the UK (except the pathetic Thruxton). Very happy with them, just a shame they are necessary.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Can you post some clean photos of her with the OZs? She looks amazing but the photos are too few.

9. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Makuono likes this.
  10. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
  11. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    My 12 year old son says something while playing Fortnite that I thought I would never say.

I am going to make an exception here:

OH MY ACTUAL DAYS!

fbrs2 likes this.
  12. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Been a while so thought I'd do a quick update. Couple of notable upgrades recently; first has been adding water cooling for the intercoolers. Instead of messing with the current intercooler setup which we know works we just wanted to bring the IAT's down on longer runs. Matt at Fearnsport installed the jets invisibly in the inlets and made a bespoke tank tucked away up front all controlled by the Motec. I've yet to get the logs but the power is now absolutely relentless even after a dozen laps there's no hint of heat soak or power loss. My brain overheats long before the car now. The tank lasted an entire day on track and there was only the tiniest hint of excess spray evident in the engine bay. As anyone whose tracked these knows everything gets properly HOT back there and the unexpected side effect was that after lots of laps the whole engine bay was noticeably far less toasty.

Secondly and long overdue was the installation of a permanent rear view camera and screen subtly mounted above the right rear lights (because those LM mirrors are worse than useless!)

Still absolutely loving this thing. Cheers all.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SeattleStew, Moopz, BJK and 1 other person like this.
  13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Spotted the car a few times now in the background on You Tube when Phil from Driftworks was at Fernsport having the engine rebuilt in his RWB 911

Great to see you are still making the most of the beast.