The return of the Dino? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The return of the Dino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WJHMH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce the Dino?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

Keep in mind this all still entirely in the rumor stage, so don't believe that artice.

Question: would you really want to see a non-Ferrari engine in this car?

I think this is a very slippery proposition for Ferrari, this car will be much more expensive and have far less performance that it's competitors as it is, so it's only real advantage is that it is a "Ferrari," but if it isn't even really a Ferrari then what is the point?

Meanwhile with the factory cranking out 10,000 units per year it will indeed dilute the brand just due to volume. I'm sure it would sell, but is this all worth it?

Or, I'm wrong and it will happen like they said. :D

2. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    was buying a xke roadster instead of a dino 246 gts 20 years ago....people were GIVING these "fiats" away back then..****ty cars, not ferrari, too high volume...they will never ever be worth anything...they are to Ferrari what the volkswagan "914" model was to Porsche...the tifosi..ALL OF THEM said..it was a kit car.. a joke ferraris proudly carry the prancing horse and are v12. anyway, I have had and now have many ferraris but I want a 246...but at the price of a 355...it really no longer makes any sense...no matter how much I want one.

Anyway, ferrari is all about racing... if they have a racing series for the new Dino, it will make a big difference.. otherwise you may wind up with an overpriced "Boxster"

p.s. interesting... the tifosi are now saying the 308's will never be worht anything..too high volume, too common..not enough performance...348's and 355's will always be in bigger demand etc...SO I ASK...are the 308 GT's (not the GT4-sorry) the Dino 246s of tomorrow?

3. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    Right on. I am a bit jealous of the 360 sound and horsepower, but not of it's looks... I am quite happy with the 246GT style. If Ferrari can manage a tasteful modernization of the Dino look at ~400hp... I am IN. Esp at e100k.

4. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Interesting thread.
    I'd also love to see Ferrari build the little Dino, especially if it had 380hp! I'd consider one.
    Food for thought: If Ferrari DID build such a car, how would it do in this very competitive market? It's a pretty tough market, 2005 Z06, 911 GT2 or GT3, also, how about ig Lotus DOES come through with the Supercharged Elise? It would be in the same market as some of these, (perhaps more capable), or equally capable and less expensive competitors? Would the brand be able to sell these based almost SOLELY on the name?

5. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Fair enough, but you must agree, for this car to be released as an entry-level car (so it really has to be built to a budget), it will have to share something with another car to justify and spread production costs to meet this price level. If everything is unique and specific to this car, you'll have a Dino that costs as much as a F430.

6. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    I for one would definetly buy one. HELLO!!!! It's from Ferrari, it is going to be a sublime driving experience.

7. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I fully agree. That's why this is such a tall order. The heart of any Ferrari is the motor (Enzo's words) so that is the place to start, and Alfa v6 simply won't do. Maybe they could make a bespoke motor with the plan of using it elsewhere in the future, in that case it would need to be somthing more durable and less matinance sensitve than their previous offereings.

To paraphrase an old joke... rare, fast, affordable: you can have any two. :D

8. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    Ok so money on new v6 motor but with a Maserati GS chassis??? That would be budget friendly and should get the job done.

9. jet2911

jet2911 Karting

May 4, 2005
    Richmond, Virginia
    Does anyone know when the new Dino might be available in the US market? Thanks!

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I thought the Maserati coupe was the new Dino then they sold Maserati

That was a seriously dumb move

12. jet2911

jet2911 Karting

May 4, 2005
    Richmond, Virginia
  13. GothamDreamBoards

Aug 27, 2006
    La Svezia
    Full Name:
    Christian Ferm
    LB @ rennteam.com

"Last May I was invited to place a order on the much speculated Dino. I put down a deposit fully refundable incase the project did not get the green light.

Today i recieved a phone caller from the sales manager letting me know that ferrari has officially given the go ahead and that the Dino was planned for production. Unofficiall pictures were published in the german Auto Bild Magazine.

Coupe allocation for end 2007 and Spider for 1st quarter 2008 "

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Will it have a V6 or V8?

15. Snapper323

Snapper323 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2005
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    L. Lee
    Will it effect F430 and 360 prices once it is in full production?

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    How much are they taking for a deposit?

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I'll believe it when I see it................

18. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    I agree. Ferrari has said many many times that they would not place a car below the current entry-level series.

19. henri66

henri66 Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Previously Maranello
    It will be a V8. Could also be a coupe-convertible.

20. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Was unable to down load photo from German mag what will be price.

21. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    *YAWN*

I'll believe it when I hear it from Ferrari, not a second sooner.

22. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    "mit legendarem namen!

Did they mean farfugnuggen?

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    It will surely be a money maker, but it looks too much like the Z4 to me.
    BT

24. Bab

Bab Formula 3

Dec 4, 2004
    Moncton/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I am also very sceptical of a new Dino. Isn't that what the Maserati is for?