The return of the Dino? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The return of the Dino?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WJHMH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should Ferrari reintroduce the Dino?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Was, but Maser is now with Alfa Romeo, not under Ferrari anymore.

2. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    If that's it on that magazine.. I like it. Really need to see it in person though. I don't know why everyone is so sceptical about this thing being produced. It seems to me that "Dino" is one of those names/brands that has a great deal of cache and from a marketing/money making perspective this would be a no brainer. Personally I'd love to own that brand/name. Remember when the 246 came out? There was a great deal of resistance from the ferraristi including vehement denials that it even was a ferrari. Today....well you know the story. The lesson is give this one a chance. I for one hope they produce it.

PS...don't like the damn airdam but it seems you can't buy any sports car these days without an airdam that looks like...well... a dam.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    But what if they don't call it a Ferrari, and instead revive the separate Dino nameplate they used in 1968-1975?

4. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    I really really hope that this doesn't happen......

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    +1

6. solidgold5

solidgold5 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Connor
    Is it just me, or does it appear to be front engined? It cannot be a Dino if this is true...

7. Bab

Bab Formula 3

Dec 4, 2004
    Moncton/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Christian
    No I DO like the sound of that :D

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Let me be the first to suggest that the cost of development, design, testing, tooling, production, marketing, etc, would be so high that it would mean in order for it to be succesfull, it would have to reach a certain very low (in relative terms to Ferrari's) price point to sell in volume........and that it would mean "mass production" (as it relates to Ferrari anyways) which would bring about a significant dilution of the brand (and let's face it, there are one hell of a lot of cars that are as good as or better than F-cars, especially in the $150K + range).....therefore I believe it will not be built for the aforementioned reasons.

Economically, it won't work IMHO........and the damage to the cachet of Ferrari would be serious for the overall brand........besides........the cover is just a computer generated concept and not a shot of a test mule or anything.......they do not even exist.......so me thinks that Autobild just needed to sell magazines this month and made the story up.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    But you have to think that they're looking at Bentley cranking out thousands of the CGT per year and ask why they can't expand...

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER

yes, I cant understand why F sold M

11. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Hmmmm...interesting thought.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So it is the stillborn new maser coupe/spider ferrari was developing, now its as ugly as a 599.

I ferrari is worried about dilution, more cars for the boulevard will do it. How about a ferrari version of a Lotus elise for the purist, that will add to the brand. DRIVERS effectively take their cars to the track where the horses can run free, what is needed is a track focused car, a baby enzo.

Fortunatly it looks like bugatti is headed that way. I cannot sse how this dino can be good for the "brand" but then the 924 and cayenne did not kill porche. For my dollar in that price range it would be a am vantage.

13. ITALOVER

ITALOVER Karting

Feb 26, 2006
    MODESTO , CALIF.
    Full Name:
    MIKE
    The driver in the Dino looks superimposed and to small or to far away .

14. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    If you see that car in person with the 20" challenge wheels you'll have a different opinion.

It is a very nice car!

15. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    and the damage to the cachet of Ferrari would be serious for the overall brand

Yeah, yeah, you mean just like the 246 very nearly permanently destroyed the ferrari brand in the late 60s? Come on get serious! The more creative stuff that comes out of Ferrari the better.

Regarding the notion that this is just a made up story....it seems to me this thread was started by a guy who was contacted BY A FERRARI DEALER to say...be patient your car is coming....I would guess the dealer knows just slightly more than you, unless of course you are somehow "in the know" and in such case....do tell.

16. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Why? What kind of ferrari fan are you if you can't even entertain the idea of another fcar product? Please explain.

17. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I dont think he is against another Ferrari product but I sure am against them calling it a Dino. Its FRONT engine, Dino's are not Front engined unless they are FIAT Dino's.

18. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    As long as its named solely Dino not Ferrari Dino I have no issue with it, as history told the original Dino was not a huge sales success until Ferrari rebaged it as a Ferrari then came the Ferrari 308GTS instead of Dino 308.

The Dino name in itself has no cachet or status so simply calling it a Dino the car may be a flop, calling it a Ferrari Dino would insure success but dilute the brand even more, if so confirms the present management of Ferrari is still on track to run the brand name into the ground.

19. henri66

henri66 Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Previously Maranello
    Front engine ;)

20. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    I'm sorry my friend, but if you research the original Dino racecars they were front engined cars that looked like a 1959 Testarossa.

21. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    Hmmm how about this one. If Ferrari want to make money out of people willing to buy sports GT's in the £60K bracket without diluting the brand (against Audi, BMW etc) then how about supplying engines/drivetrain and some technical know how to another company (bit like Lancia Thema etc) ... The name 'Spyker' springs to mind.

22. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Ferrari would be associated with it no matter what. I think the name should remain in history and not be revived, and Ferrari should not introduce a front-engined V6.

23. blainewest

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Actually the 206/246 Dino lines were not rebadged to ferrari (though some owners did) and were, if I 'm not mistaken, at the time the highest seller by numbers (about 4000 over it's 5-6 year production run) of any car that had ferrari valve covers under it's bonnet. I think this is, relatively speaking, huge sales success.

The 308gt4 Dino was rebadged but it also sold about 3,000 vehicles during it's production run. Decades later with the benefit of hindsight is there anyone who would say that these two models were not positive contributions to the sports car motoring world in general and to the Ferrari history/mystique in particular? Why are we all so rigid in our concepts of what is a ferrari or a dino? Please remember that by the old measure of what a Ferrari is (12cyl) all the 3x8GTBs/Ss are not "real" ferraris either.

24. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    So all 360 and 355 aren't real ferraris? What about 500 Mondial and 860 Monza, to name a few?