The Smelly Edge of the Vintage Distinction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Smelly Edge of the Vintage Distinction

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Zarathustra, Nov 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Drum brakes or not?

There's obviously a bunch of ways to delineate this, but I agree with earlier articulated - why try? What's the point?

Some older cars feel old by today's standards, some few do not. In either case, it isn't tightly correlated to how enjoyable the car is to drive.

More time on the roads, less time on the forums.

2. cdu

cdu Karting

May 30, 2007

I'm a total outsider to this whole scene but my view is that there is more of a case to be made for the C4 -> 365GT4 -> 400 -> 400i -> 412 line as "vintage" than the 365BB and relatives as "vintage". By applying the "washington's axe" model of continuity, they've got the same basic architecture as the 250GTO and similar undisputed "vintage" models.

But, I'll be the first to say I know nothing of what I speak...

3. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I use the Justice Potter Stewart method. I know it when I see it.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I knew I should have mentioned the sturm und drang...

5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Now we're getting somewhere... Goethe & Schiller found it compelling for a while. Though I find myself constantly returning to aesthetics as the only way to justify my automotive pathology.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #31 PSk, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    Veteran = cars up to 1905
    Edwardian = 1905 to 1919
    Vintage = 1919 to 1930
    Pre-War = 1930 to 1948
    Post-War = 1948 to ?

Personally the sliding scale makes no sense (cars hitting the 25 year mark as classic), we need to create more categories, ie. Classic say from 1960 to 1980 maybe, and Boring from 1980 to 2000 and so on.
    Pete

7. DeaneG

DeaneG Karting

Jan 26, 2006
    SF bay area
    I'll simplistically go with wood steering wheel = vintage. And the car does need to stink.

8. cdu

cdu Karting

May 30, 2007
    post-war = 48 to 63
    rock'n'roll = 63 to 73
    disco / smog / opec = 73 to 88
    computerized = 88 - on

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    With a car that can only trace its manufactured and sold as a separate entity history back to ca. 1949, period terms need to suit that car.

IMO, generally:

Front-engine roadgoing V12's built/sold before 365BB/308: Vintage

Everything after that: something else.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1.

Like these suggestions. How do we go about getting them 'used'?
    Pete

11. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I don't think Rob was trying to make any distinctions about which cars were to be considered vintage. I think he put the Boxer in its own forum with the TR because there would be a considerable number of owners for those vehicles who were interested specifically in those vehicles, just as there are a similar number of owners here interested in general older Ferraris.

In short, there probably aren't enough 365 GTC/4 owners on F-chat to necessitate that car having its own forum, but there are enough Boxer and TR owners to do so. At some point you have to draw the line and I think Rob drew it in the best possible place.

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    El,

What has nothing to do with Fchat? I was trying to side with Zarathustra's (read his thread in the beginning) interpretation of 12 cyl carbed cars as being the cut off point for vintage Ferrari's. I was making a point that even at an FCA sanctioned meet, a carbed 365 BB was not in the same class with other injected Boxers which many people at the event found odd.

Gene.

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    "Vintage" is a term evidently without a common definition as applied to Ferraris, and we could post all day with different opinions on the correct names and cutoff points, failing to take into account the usual "grayness" of definitions and limits.

For me the quality of "vintageness" for a Ferrari reflects the vision and the products of a man and a company during a glorious period, and is equivalent in that sense to the quality of "Ferrariness". The elements that defined that vision and those products are in my opinion the following, with the first one clearly predominant. The more of these elements a Ferrari has, the closer it is to the true glory of a vintage (real) Ferrari. I exclude pure racers of course, which deserve rules of their own.

Dual Racing - GT use

Ferrari SPA an independent company
    Enzo Ferrari alive

V12 up front
    Carbs
    Stickshift
    Borranis
    Wooden steering wheel

No P/S
    No electric windows
    No A/C
    No electronics (including electronic ignition)
    No ashtray or other comfort or entertainment accessories
    No shield if not a racer

Taking into accounts these elements, The pinnacle of "Ferrariness" is probably a 250 TdF or a 250 SWB, while the absolute pit would of course be the "california". Both are Ferraris, but one of them is a masterpiece that has it all, whereas the other just has a badge and a big butt.

14. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #39 Julio Batista, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    I forgot another element of "Ferrariness" measure: Two seats.

15. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Excellent summation. One more item: Unique coachbuilt body, or at least production during a period when a not-insignificant proportion of production was coachbuilt.

16. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Julio, I presume you're speaking of the new California.
    I like your discriminators. You are probably too hard-core for many readers. The 275 GTB would fit in your group, but not the 275 GTS, the GTCs and newer.
    No ash tray is real hard-core. Where will I put my toll change?

17. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    So what can be garnered from The Smelly Edge of the Vintage Distinction? What are the descriptors that attempt to separate the forum “Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)” from the others? Even though the current forum line is drawn for convenience I don’t think it should be changed. I’m interested in what actually makes the distinction to each of us.

I’ve tried to convey this as an aesthetic judgment, one that taps into our human senses, not a rational judgment. After all, how can any of us claim to be rational when we are discussing gas-guzzling, ridiculously over-priced, modes of transportation in a crumbling world? No, I think we have all abandoned the confines of Enlightenment rationality. Instead our visceral senses feed our historically conditioned mentalities to provide aesthetic pleasure. (Anyway, that’s how I explain buying yet another Ferrari to my wife as she rolls her eyes and pours me another glass of Pinot Noir.)

So let’s summarize some of the things most readers might accept as the sights, smells, and sounds that feed this irrational aesthetic distinction:

The visual: The majority want a front engine and most of the time this works. I have a hard time with it because my favorite street Ferrari is the rear engine 365P tre-posti. (I bet Coco Chinetti would say it handles like a 365 Boxer.)
    Other visuals are: the handmade bodies, old instruments in a wood or metal dashboard, and the lack of marketing logos. Wood steering wheel, no a/c, and no electric windows might be boarderline.
    Borranis immediately impart that vintage look, but I wouldn’t dismiss the 275 starburst, ten-hole alloy wheels, or even the five-spoke alloys that were first introduced on Pininfarina’s personal GTC. Yes, alloys are part of modern progress, but Bugattis had alloys and that same progress also made Borranis wider, stronger, and safer. But I must admit, an excellent discriminator is whether a car looks good with Borranis or not; in fact, if it looks stupid with Borranis that is definitive. C4s, Daytonas and older street cars have no problem, but stick Borranis on a Boxer and you’ll raise eyebrows.

Sounds: that mechanical 12 cylinder noise, long resonating, free-flow exhaust systems, and plenty of throaty Webers.

Feelings: handling, with high-profile tires and without power steering.

And that smell, that pungent, eye burning cloud of oil and un-burnt gasoline. (Until you sneak in those modern valve-stem seals.) If you hear, “Honey, why don’t you take a shower before dinner…” you’ll know The Smelly Edge of the Vintage Distinction.

I’m still trying to describe the distinction in as few words as possible: how’s about a “Carbureted 12 with Borranis”?

Lastly, I’d like to address the few who didn’t understand the Distinction concept or who got distracted. The administrator should consider changing the forum’s name from Vintage to “classic”, “pre-disco” or something else to help you guys out.

18. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I am not trying to define a group, nor implying that the Ferraris that have all these qualities "make the cut", and not the others. Not many Ferraris fit all the discriminators (the few which do are the best). Even the "california" (yes, the new one, hence the quotes and the lower case) is a Ferrari. The discriminators just measure different shades of the elusive quality of "Ferrariness".

A GTC loses some of that quality, because it was never meant to race, it has electric windows, AC, and fake-looking wood in the interior. But it has most of the other elements in spades.

The 275 GTS also loses some of it because it also never was intended to race.

As for the "california", there is very, very little "Ferrariness" left.

Cheers,

Julio

19. Bart340

Bart340 Karting

Mar 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart Rosman
    You are apparently not aware that the competition 250 GT Berlinetta PC (SWB for some) had an ashtray as original equipment.

20. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Interesting. What makes you think I am not?

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Wizard of Awes

Dorothy Gale: Borranis and Nardis and Webers! Oh, my!

Dorotea Galetti: Borranis e Nardis e Webers! Oh, il mio!

22. Zarathustra

Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Perhaps it is only the Italians that can be "simpatetico" to the description:

"Borrani, Nardi, carburatori, dodici cilindri."