The Smoking Tire Review of 575m F1 | FerrariChat

The Smoking Tire Review of 575m F1

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by SteveVT, Sep 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I really enjoyed this and thought it summed up my experience with the 575m thus far. I am curious what others think about TST's take.

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It was good to see the enthusiasm of his generation, which is younger than mine, for the cars.

A few errors. Ferrari quotes 575 as having 30 hp more than 550 (not 20 as he states).

ferrari quotes kerb weight of 575 F1 as 40kg (less than 100 lb) more than 550, not 200 lb

Not sure about the aluminium calipers he mentions.

He says the car is an 03 and comments on squat dive. However the plaque in the car only states F1 champions in 2001, suggesting it's an early 02 car with the bad ECU Taz identified. Thus the squat dive and float.

he doesn't mention FHP or HGTC options, or that 575 was available as a manual (despite his critique of the F1 transmission).

I suspect his conclusions would have been quite different with a FHP car and different again with a manual FHP car.

3. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Really enjoyed that. Just how felt the first time I drove one.

4. OrmondStar

OrmondStar Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2019
    Lake Mary, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard
    What an awesome review. Can’t wait to get mine on the road and start adding guilt free miles.

SteveVT and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  5. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Enjoyable review video, and I was thinking the same things. Too bad he didn't test a 2005 575 with the F1 and suspension ECU updates (or better yet, HGTC).

SteveVT, Ferrari55whoa and Themaven like this.
  6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Further to my post above: the squat dive and lean were his words/conclusions, speaking of the car as a “pillow”. Not mine.

To someone raised on sports cars with today’s active body control, all cars from 15+ years ago lean in corners.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I thought it was on point.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @SteveVT thanks for posting. Enjoyed it plus always enjoy their podcast.

One time on a podcast, Zach’s The Smoking Tire (TST) partner Matt - jokingly referred to our little forum here as “grinder for Ferrari guys” which made me chuckle.

Matt at TST has also been negatively vocal about EAG so I’m really looking forward to hearing/seeing more from @dhalperin13 and others experience as they have their 575’s converted (feels like EAG has been cranking out 430’s which is great). Would be fun to have Zach do a one take of an F1-6MT converted 575.

9. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Nice review...The comment about "Crossing a Continent" is spot on. I've crossed North America several times in each direction and the 575 GT experience doesn't get old. At 6' 3", it takes me about 30 minutes to get "settled in", then it's like I'm "wearing" the car rather than sitting in it...if that makes any sense. Cruise control would be nice, however. Can't comment on F1 or soft suspension.

10. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I thought it was a spot on review, and highlights what I love about the 575, the smooth and effortless pull, sophisticated sound, comfort, and sensation of feeling special. I have mixed feelings about the squat/dive. I understand the urge to have sports cars as flat as possible, but In this case it perfectly fits the car’s character and the era. That slight on-throttle squat simply accentuates the sensation of speed, and makes each pull feel like an event! Before I updated the shock ecu, it was major squat, felt as if my front tires were lifting off, but now it’s so much better, like a trait rather than a flaw. It’s not a lotus elise, but it is perfect for what it is, a sporty gt.

I have fhp springs for the car but haven’t put them on yet. I think the car is awesome as is, and I may change my mind on putting them on, but it’s nice to have the option available…

11. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    The review didn't mention that the 575 is a practical long distance/duration GT car. There is enough storage for even having a female co-driver.:>)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Then there is single male, 575 random wandering to Western US National Parks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Another driver who does not know how to use F1.

Maxime Defforey and Themaven like this.
  14. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    On this occassion lets not pick this one apart or get caught up in the minutiae of specs and variants or if the guy is "capable" of driving an F1 transmission.

This was a great review by a young guy meeting his hero and enjoying it for what it is. Like him I've adored the Maranello design from the day I first saw one and 20 years later I still feel it looks just as fresh.

Sometimes we simply overanalyse stuff unnecessarily.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alan- Never even watched it. Just assumed he, like most of those new to F1, did not know how to use it.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    He doesn't know how to use it. He's a very enthusiastic chap, but he should do his research, both into basics like kerb weight and hp, and into the many variations of experience you can get with a 575. There's no such thing as the 575, there's only a 575.

He would be a better reporter/creator/YouTuber/influencer if he read Ferrarichat, for example, and then his audience would be even more enlightened. And Alan, we owners and others with knowledge have every right to point out his errors! He is probably much more influential than we are, here, and maybe he will see the light.

I enjoyed the video though, despite the snafus, and like his style. Thank you, Steve for posting.

17. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    FWIW, The Smoking Tire YouTube channel has over 1 million subscribers. The 575M reviewer, Zach Klapman, is the sidekick to its founder, Matt Farah, who is considered (or so I understand) among the most influential of U.S.automotive-related YouTubers.

Themaven and Ferrari55whoa like this.