The story behind Michael Schumacher's retirement | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The story behind Michael Schumacher's retirement

Discussion in 'F1' started by Admiral Thrawn, Nov 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You can do it in photoshop

file - import (i think this is it) - pdf image

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Here is an interesting interview hot off the press:

http://www.blick.ch/sport/formel1/artikel49935

MS simply admits he didn't have the mental capacity/power to continue racing and was lacking motivation. He denies any rumors that he was forced out of the picture by Ferrari.

Can we put this now finally to rest?

PS: And by the way, in the same interview MS states, that Alonso deserved the title.

3. detailbrian

detailbrian Rookie

Nov 20, 2006
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Brian C Brown
    There are always multiple stories that accompany legends as the leave the public eye. Thanks for the legacy left behind.

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    u actually understand German, Andreas?

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It's my mother language.

But much more important I'm surprised (not to say shocked or disappointed) that nobody seemed to care to comment about this IMHO bombshell interview: After all it states quite a few things:

a) MS admits to no longer have "it", therefore ends all the speculation of folks on here claiming he had at least 2 more years left in the tank
    b) Ron's theory about MS giving it up for his wife is nonsense
    c) all the Luca forced him into retirement stories are nonsense
    d) he does acknowledge Alonso's worthiness
    e) if anything this rationale comes closest to what I stated earlier in this thread, which was MS saying he would quit once a faster guy is in town

C'mon you MS die-hards, no comments from you?

6. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I never said the BusinessF1 article was true. It was just out there, so I decided to post it. I would much rather believe that Schumi retired on his own accord than was pushed out.

I wouldn't say Alonso is faster for certain, but rather Michael can no longer be bothered trying to beat him.

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    :D well, if you can pls translate, i would like to read and give my opinions, :D Danke :D

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

Wasn't directed at you necessarily, but at a few of your buddies from down under. Plus Ron, who's gone surprisingly silent.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, here a few bonmots for you:

MS: "I no longer had the mental capacity/power, that used to propel me in the past to the top."

He was desperately looking forward to the end of his career. Todt tried to convince him otherwise, but "lap after lap I said goodbye to my life as a racer".

He also totally denies a comeback:"Once you're out, you're out."

Was that crystal clear enough?

10. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Admiral:
    Any update on posting the latest article?
    Thanks.
    KS

11. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Bump. Admiral?

12. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Well it certainly showed in his driving...

<runs and hides>

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure I agree. His driving was lacklustre in 05 (remember China?) and he made a bunch of errors in the first half of 06, but really got his game back together for the 2nd half (remember China?).

14. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    He was brilliant in the second half of 06 right up to the end. What he seemed to lose was some of his skills in the wet and also to carry a bad car. If the car was good, which it was in the second hafe of the season he drove it beautifully.

15. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    There has been a general malaise about him for the past 2 years, notably marked by how he simply did not have an answer for Alonso.

16. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    2 words, tyres or possibly tires - and probably Bridgestone the reason for Massa or Raikkonen winning next season.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    See my post #21 in this (same) thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129641&page=4

A simple and obvious fact that completely escapes the die hard MS fans who are looking for reasons and conspiracy theories why their hero was cut.

18. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    In which case the time to hang 'em up would have indeed been at the end of 2005.

Which is to indicate that one doesn't disprove the other -- that Schumacher's obvious loss of "the edge" doesn't prove conclusively that there was no other reason for his retirement. I can't help but go back to that incredibly awkward scene at the end of Monza.

His entire interview with the German paper reeks of spin control. Contrary to tifosiron's ideas on the subject, in F1 and politics, I believe it least when I hear it directly from the first hand source.

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You have a point. Montezemolo trying to get a piece of him and MS avoiding Luca spoke volumes. Also agreed about the potential spin control.

I guess we'll never know. But Luca did what was best in the interest of the company so I have no problem there.

20. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Agreed, I won't search for the thread, but after Monza my comment was basically that LdM is a ruthless bastard, which happens to be part of his job, and he does it very well.

21. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

22. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    In an era where covert spy programs are routinely exposed on the front page of the New York Times, you are surprised that something as trivial as contract details can find its way into the media? In an environment as notoriously porous as the F1 paddock?

A confidential informant leaking contract details to the press despite non-disclosure agreements?!? Egads!!

I can think of plenty of solid reasons why virtually any of the principals involved in this negotiation would have a vested interest in leaking information to the media. I think this article is completely spot on.