The Swiss Thread | Page 89 | FerrariChat

The Swiss Thread

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Pav, Aug 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I found a pic where Marcel takes out the motor of my 512 TR. As you can see in the background, they are working on other cars too...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Simon and JariT like this.
  2. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
  3. TropicalThunder

Jan 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Dear Swiss-team,
    have been a long time reader that finally signed up and hope I am posting in the right thread.

I am a car enthusiast, based in Germany and love working on vintage cars and also sports cars. Always have had a desire for a Ferrari in my life and have been observing the 360 market for quite some time now, including looking at some cars over the years. I am not afraid of working on the car myself but not looking for a complete basket case (both from work but also from a financial perspective).
    I might now have found a car where it finally "clicked" however feel that I could need some help from an expert.
    Trouble is that the car comes without service/repairs documentation "to protect the privacy of the former owner (celebrity)". The service manual looks complete and it has always been serviced in the same garage. However the last stamp dates back to 2015 (with 8.000 km since). Obviously the car has not seen much use since. I have contacted said garage and while they were very cooperative, unfortunately there was a change of ownership and it looks like they do no longer have the records prior to the change and only an MFK expertise from 2019 in the system. Still awaiting a further feedback here.

I checked the car and apart from the usual sticky buttons and a cracked plastic cover in the rooftop (Spider) it looked fine. My major concern is that the top did not close well (misalignment). So as far as I know this could go from "will fix itself when you open/close a few times" over "needs a reset/update of the ECU" up to "big disaster". Also I have not driven the car yet and forgot to check things like A/C etc. as well last time.

The seller will not let me take the car to another garage for a PPI - I am welcome though to bring in someone for an expertise. We would have access to a lift as well.

In order to prevent emotions taking over when buying a car like this, I always like to have someone with me that stays neutral and keeps me from getting carried away by focusing on the technical facts...
    Would someone with knowledge and experience on 360s be willing to accompany me here? Ideally with a means to read and interpret via SD2/3. The car is in the "Ostschweiz". Happy to cover expenses. Please PN me, also if you can support or point me towards someone you can recommend, .

Thank you team and am looking forward to also contribute to this forum from a "drivers" perspective soon/one day =)
    Phil

4. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Dear TropicalThunder - I am not an expert in 360s. But that car had many "Warning Ligths" in particular the lack of documentation (the celebrity excuse is very poor) and probably non consistent maintenance or driving.
    I would run from that car

5. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The car was mine, I’m somewhat a celebrity in the cap collecting business. I go by the name Mr. BS.

Don Molina likes this.
  6. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Hi Markus! Hope you are doing well and very nice to hear from you. Miss our trips of a couple of years ago.
    Thanks for you reply. I actually remember you mentioneed it, but I somehow forgot about it as I already a good mechanic when my 328 used to live in Ticino. I'll bring it there.

Thanks!

7. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Phil
    welcome to the board. I can't help, but hopefully you'll find some support here. Good luck with your search.

8. TropicalThunder

Jan 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Hi team, thanks for the warm welcome and the replies so far.
    Yes it is true, there are many warning lights and the celeb can be an excuse - and that is why I am being extra careful! I have in the meantime I have received an extract of works carried out on the car since 2014 by a reputable Ferrari Workshop in Romandie and the work carried out is beyond standard maintenance.
    The latest annual checkup&MFK expertise in 2019 gave no advisories - which I understand in CH has more meaning than TÜV in Germany.
    So yes - still looking for someone to accompany me to the car, or also discuss the car in question in more detail in a call.

9. Don Molina

Don Molina Rookie

May 18, 2015
    Replying to older post here, but I would also like to recommend KS Classic Cars in Appenzel. Not exactly Zurich area, but close enough maybe. I bought my 2010 Quattroporte GT S from Raphael over 2 years ago, and the car was perfect and has been incredibly reliable for about 20k Km. He has a lot of vintage metal, does older Ferrari's for sure but I think his rates are comparable to dealer ones.

10. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    TropicalThunder
    Now, you 3 options who can check the car. Two of them even in "Ostschweiz", the other one not too far away from Ostschweiz.

11. TropicalThunder

Jan 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Hi Elsi, I spoke to two garages in the vicinity and while they would be happy to do a PPI for me on the car, they were not so keen on an „offsite“ inspection.

12. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Hi everyone!

I am this week in St Moritz. On Saturday is THE ICE Concours d'Elegance
    I have sneaked into the garage and setup this morning. There will be very nice Fs on the ice track. Including a black 250 GTO

See you around

Flavio_C likes this.
  13. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    the GTO is blue not black

Flavio_C likes this.
  14. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Flavio_C and Simon like this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Just see full thread about The ICE in the vintage section with plenty of great pix.

Marcel Massini

Flavio_C likes this.
  16. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    I visited Marcel last Monday, very nice guy. He mentioned that the Clay Regazzoni museum was around the corner, I had no idea! And he explained about Autobau. Unfortunately both were closed, so a very good reason to come back!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flavio_C likes this.
  17. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    And i a couple of weeks you can enjoy the die cast model collection of my father in the Clay Regazzoni honour room. Fredy Alexander Lienhard from Autobau bought the >2000 models from my father. Here some of them when they were at my fathers location.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JuLiTrO and Flavio_C like this.
  18. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Wow Markus, your father had a great collection.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Upcoming meetings in Switzerland:

Saturday, 23 April 2022, Schloss Lenzburg, AG, Switzerland.
    AGM Annual General Meeting of the (unofficial) Ferrari Owners Club Switzerland.

SAME DAY:
    Saturday, 23 April 2022, in Neuchâtel, Switzerland. Exact location unknown.
    AGM Annual General Meeting of the (official) Ferrari Club Switzerland.

Marcel Massini

Flavio_C, ursoenzo and 456-boy like this.
  20. TropicalThunder

Jan 27, 2022
    Full Name:
    Phil
    So, to wrap this up: I ended up not buying the car but jumped at an opportunity to purchase my dream-spec 360 Spider in Germany. Saw the car, went to inspect it and 24 hours later the deal was done. You only live once. Thank you very much for all your help and looking forward to the experience. Spring is coming, enjoy!

JuLiTrO, Titobandito and PB033 like this.
  21. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Congratulations on the car Phil