The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    100% disagree, there is a huge difference between 4s and 2s. That'd be like saying there is no difference between 8s and 4s. And yeah, don't do that in a bad area, but in a nice open area, its perfectly safe.

anunakki and paulchua like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You're right about Enzo; road cars were a means to an end. That is racing.

In terms of 0-60 in 1.8, It will be here. I've personally seen it.

Ferrari will still have lots to offer the same way even though a Toyota Camry is just as fast as some BMWs and Mercedes. Ferrari knows this, hence the shift to electric and diversification to build the brand (clothing/food)

It is as others said, speed will continue toward convergence. There always will be a faster way to get something done, even if that is fractions of a second (which on track is an eternity.)

All of this cracks me up because the insecurity is unfounded. As a personal lover of vintage Ferrari - all these developments HELP (not hurt) our classic cars. I LOVE manuals are going away. I LOVE ICE is going away. I already have what I love in my garage; If some stranger ten years from has to pay me a fortune for your cars because they don't make them anymore - GREAT! IF my cars become anachronisms, like a steam car, GREAT. One reason I love Ferrari is the rarity.

I certainly didn't buy them to retire on.

sltillim, F458GS, RedTaxi and 2 others like this.
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    tell Enzo that. :D

jm2 and paulchua like this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Tell that to the Tifosi.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    99% of Ferrari owners do 99% more 0-60 runs than stuff Ferraris were really designed for.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Exactly.

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree;* FOR ME* - I don't know how many 2 seconds 0-60 runs I can tolerate consecutively. They give me a headache. However, once? No problem. I can handle that. I get it though, for some, it's not a priority. However, just because 0-60 times don't matter to you, I don't think that's the case with all people. I argue for most folks, it *DOES* matter, if for bragging rights only, and having it there to use when you see fit to blast off.
    Absolutely right.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and i did not mention tesla.
    i am aware there are others out there.

they still have not set any lap records tho, and when you are up against a brand that bases its entire image on racing around road courses, this is a salient point.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    @paulchua
    you are incorrect about Enzo himself - he was always slow to adopt new tech.
    late to go to disc brakes, late to go to mid engine, late to go to aero etc etc.

but all that is irrelevant today.
    ferrari road cars have long ago graduated to status symbols instead of purely performance kings.
    nobody who can afford a ferrari, buys a tesla only because it is faster in a straight line.
    horses for courses.
    i have a hybrid and an F40 (and a few other cars), and they each have their own sweet spot.

dpw98 and Ffre92 like this.
  10. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave

There have been plenty answers. None were the ones that you wanted to hear.

anunakki likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Don't take offense to the following, not personal; I just place credibility on Pierro above others here.

"I think he would be very happy with Ferrari. He would been happy with the technological developments as well. He would have been fascinated with angle of producing hybrid or electric vehicles. He would have been the first to do it. He would have been the first to look to the future."

-Piero Ferrari

The most important thing to notice here is the video was created before all these current changes, it was made years before hybrids/electric cars were more common. So it can't be Pierro trying to justify current changes.
    (start at 5:00 if you want to skip to Pierro's comments)

You guys have the chutzpah to say I should listen to you versus Enzo's own son?

Well, I've seen bolder behavior.

Just interesting to me as well, that the actual owners of Ferrari, you know - the people that build these cars?, agree with me wholeheartedly.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with Enzo Ferrari or the owners/president of Ferrari. It's a free country.

12. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    And they still won't be, for the next "Badass Tesla" thread next month.

13. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #38 ross, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    you did not prove my words wrong.

'late to go to disc brakes, late to go to mid engine, late to go to aero etc etc.'

go ahead tell me who was first to use those new tech items on the track or road....

the fact that he did later on, is the same as it is now - ferrari did not produce the first hybrid or ev sports car.....but it is very likely that they have and will build the most stylish ones. :)

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    there is a heck of a lot more to the (experience of) cars than how fast they do or don't go. Until one realizes that no matter what you own its just an appliance

JohnMH and ross like this.
  15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    That's the beauty of the CHOICE, choose what you like. If something is not for you, move on, if something is for you, there you go.

The whole government strangling ICE racket is unappreciated and being forced into electric appliances is not a choice many would make.

But, here we are, for now at least.

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im not disagreeing with anything you said. I would expect someone like Musk to think adolescent 0-60 times are 'cool'. I also think most people will think its cool, because most people are...well...adolescent

dpw98 likes this.
  17. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Most disagree with me. Ive learned over the years that I am in the minority on almost everything in life. Its weird...its like being an alien on another planet.

18. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I do Paul..All the time.

19. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I believe this is true. But i also believe its a small minority of Ferrari owners that do it at all. So its a percentage of a percentage.

No data to back it up. Just my experience from being around them the past 20 years. Your experience may be completely different.

rob lay likes this.
  20. ChaosAD!

ChaosAD! Karting

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Shinas
    A $30 Timex tells time as good as a $30k Rolex yet people that can afford it would rather spend the money on the Rolex. It’s not just about 0-60 times and raw acceleration. I’ve driven a Tesla and the acceleration is immense, but once you get the acceleration wow factor out of the way you start realizing that there’s no sense of occasion in driving something that sounds like a muffled vacuum cleaner that happens to go fast. The fit and finish on Tesla’s has also gotten better but it’s still **** compared to Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sunshine1 and anunakki like this.
  21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    A tesla? I went for a ride in our friends Model 3 on Friday. The car drove itself for most of the ride. Amazing technology.

Absolutely make it a 200MPH car. The computer is doing the driving anyway. It drove better than most of the boobs driving around the upper midwest in their Subarus. It doesn't matter how fast the Plaid is. The handling is like a 3 series bimmer and the chassis dynamics equally uninspiring. It's perfect for the type of car driver that wants to sleep on the highway while the autopilot drives it. Any one who doesn't understand that 0-60 launches does not define a sports car experience will not understand why someone spends the big bucks to be at one with their Ferrari in the twisties. It's about the Experience.

RedTaxi likes this.
  22. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Ferrari Chat has an app?

Anyway. So you're going for the Gucci bag argument. I mean, a Rolex is a nice timepiece but people aren't buying them for their precision. They're buying them for their prestige. And if all Ferrari wants to be is the Fendi Bag of the industry, that's fine. They'll sell a bunch of cars that way. But I think for performance enthusiasts, Ferrari is about to lose a lot of support.

And as I said earlier, Tesla isn't the problem. Chevy is. Mazda is. A 200mph Miata kind of puts a damper on the entire question of a Ferrari's value.

So I'll make the point again: this is not about the Plaid itself. But what it represents. Big box car manufacturers will be able to make cheap performance cars with this technology. Small, light, and blisteringly fast and made for a post-millennial budget. Your $275k Ferrari doesn't look so good in a showroom when a kid can buy an electric Miata or a Camaro that runs just a quick and goes just as fast.

And it will get worse over time. Electric engines don't fade the combustion engines do. The batteries mostly fail. So when the cheap, fast electric cars get to the secondary market after a few years, speed (and overall performance) are going to get REALLY cheap. What then will Ferrari be selling? I suspect it will be as Chaos says. Fit and finish. Some leather. And "prestige."

In other words: the 2035 Ferrari will be a Gucci handbag. It's become that to some extent already, but I think the transformation of the brand from something with real substance to something for clout chasing will be complete. I think people will not buy these cars for what they can do, but for what their extravagant price brags to the world about the owner's wealth.

The last bit of Enzo's DNA will be gone from these cars.

23. ChaosAD!

ChaosAD! Karting

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Shinas
    Horsepower and acceleration times have been commoditized as have many other things in our everyday lives but I use the timex and Rolex example to compare the functionality, which is the same, yet a $30k time piece will always be aspirational versus a $30 time piece.

I own an F12, have an F8 and SF90 spider on the way and I can go buy a Tesla Plaid right now just like everyone else on this forum but i won’t because frankly the car just doesn’t get my pants tight. A mass produced vehicle will not be a threat to the viability of a premium brand. Will Ferrari lose some business to the cheap horsepower that will be available? Sure they will, but they’re not doomed to fail. This is all conjecture, none of us know what will happen but if you’re a fan of the Plaid and its superior acceleration just vote with your dollars and buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ash Patel, paulchua and anunakki like this.
  24. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I hate Teslas and I'm no fan of Elon.

I hate the entire move from coupes and roadsters to crossovers and SUVs. If you own a crossover, you own a station wagon. I hate the entire idea of cars as appliances, but that's because I'm old and grew up at a time when cars were everything: the 1980s.

The greatness of the Ferrari and Lambo were the eye popping numbers and unique driving experience. Dudes who would NEVER own a Rolls or a Bentley just for the leather wrapped ego boost would drool over cars that could do amazing things. There was a reason OTHER than clout to drive an F car.

Now, to my great displeasure, it seems there may not be. There may be many celebrating this changing of the guard, but I am not one of them.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's a little bit different experience than we had with our Model S. The torque is what a race car should feel like. Blew away the GT3 and Cali T we had at the same time. It also handled pretty decent, I'm not sure the low center of gravity with batteries? Also, just the "engine" braking alone can throw you through the front window, I think the only car that puts the brake lights on if just engine braking? So we have a torque monster already and then we have the potential for low center of gravity and perfect balance, then braking on par with anything else. Looks are looks, that can end up being anything the designers want them to be. Many argue Ferraris are getting ugly without influence of Pininfarina and also what about when most Ferraris (like Porsche) will be SUV's. The only technological challenges to be shortly resolved are weight, battery life, and full performance cooling for track use. In 5 years the only thing Ferrari will have on Tesla is "they sound better with the pop snarl". Despite what it sounds like I will always be 100x more of a Ferrari fan, but people need to get their head out of their ass.

Tony91505, Wikdstrate and paulchua like this.