The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. market-reasearch

Silver Subscribed

Jul 21, 2021
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    D. Gabathuler
    Why care about stupid straight line acceleration if all that matters is driving through scenic alpine curves and how it makes me feel?

2. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    Ferrari can still be unique if they focus on the sensations as they electrify: style, sound, steering feel, road feel, lightness and connectedness. It definitely is not ALL about 0-60.

I got nauseous doing multiple 0-60 runs in our Tesla for the first week since it was so brutal and disorienting. However I have never had the urge to drive it fast since. It is uninspiring and I view it purely as transportation. On the other hand I am excited hopping into my cayman every morning, even after 5 years. It is vastly less potent, but it rocks because it excels in the aforementioned qualities.

And don’t get me started about the fcars, my pulse quickens just walking towards them

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you are a 1-percenter, one of the few that uses Ferraris like they were designed for. I get up to Arkansas every year, very few places like that in United States that have 1,000+ miles of mountain, curvey, low traffic, good condition roads.

all that said, there is nothing keeping Tesla from being able to do the same or better, just minus the sound of burning dinosaurs.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, the Tesla (or Chevy, Ford, Toyota, etc.) is faster, cheaper and will still be manufactured after 2030.

But as to your questions, if I had to explain ........ you wouldn't understand. ;)

5. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    tesla boys won't stop talking about 0 - 60 times.

model s plaid ran the Nurinburgring in 7:35; roughly the same time as an Audi RS3

it was beaten by the new C8 corvette (7:29), a 2009 GTR (7:29) a 2017 GT3 (7:12), Dodge Viper (7:01)

do any of these times matter to me? probably not, but for some reason every tesla model 3 has to "race" me when pulled up next to me at the stoplight.

I like driving my car on backcountry roads with the windows down making lots of noise

HotShoe likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wow, a 4-door sedan weighing 4,800 pounds hung with those cars on the Nürburgring!?!

Jaguar36 likes this.
  7. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Rob, I'd like to see the times if they all each went for a 2nd lap--I suspect the Model S would struggle to put down an 8 min lap!

Sunshine1 likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, you might be right.

many on this thread on the wrong side of history and progression though. 2 years ago, 5 years ago everyone would have said no way where we are. why in 5-10 more years will Tesla not improve upon handling, weight, endurance, looks, etc. there is only so much more Ferrari can do and it seems they are going with SUV's and ricer aero kits.

9. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    I agree with you here. the 0 - 60 time bugs me though as it isn't the mark of a fast car. when I was in college and doing a lot of triathlons, I would swim 5000 yards two times a week, it took me over an hour to do (I would stop half way through for a quick water break). there was a kid I had class with that would always end up in the lap lane next to me--probably over the course of half an hour he'd do 5 laps. he'd wait for me to do a bunch and then "push off" the wall when I flip turned in an attempt to "race" me. sometimes he would beat me to the other end over the course of a half a lap (he would mention this in class to me). I always remember this when people start spouting off 0 - 60 times.

Soleith likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, apples to apples. :) I swam in college and did triathlons seriously in the 2000's, now I just run. That's 20 minute 1500 pace, very nice! I wasn't much of a distance swimmer, swam breaststroke in college. when I got under 20 minutes for a 1500 in an Olympic distance tri I was very happy.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I think we are speaking to a bigger point...cars as a user driven experiance will
    I don't think so.
    That is just it, there is a wide range of Ferrari owners and their uses all vary. I don't think it has as much to do about going the fastest 0-60 or anything like that.
    There is most definitely a group of flashy owners who (to use the old lambo caricature) use it as a glorified fashion accessory like their gold chains.
    There is most definitely a group of go-fast adrenaline junkies
    Another of wannabe historians and curators of a fanciful legacy
    And then there is a chunk who just think they look pretty and 'feel' nice to drive.

The crazy part is...the same person can fall into different bins on a different day and with a different car and as far as Ferrari is concerned, all pay the bills! (....even for old cars the comical parts costs goes to Ferrari)

A Tesla will not change this paradigm, as long we humans can drive cars themselves that is.

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Dude I was underwhelmed with the P90D I drove a couple years ago. I was hoping for some amazing driving dynamics but was let down. Best I can describe is "BMW". Unfortunately I'm a Porsche guy so I have that bias. True, when you step on it the car zooms. But then every road has corners adn in both cases I'm underwhelmed.

Haven't taken a taycan for a drive yet so I still have high hopes for an electric with porsche handling.

I'm not as impressed as well now that Pininfarina has left the building. But.. the overall proportions are still ferrari even if some design elements are getting mish-mashy. I'm really liking the Roma.

The real question is IMHO, what does Ferrari have on ANY car today? THAT is what will be their advantage in the future IMHO. Personally I LOVE the idea of a car that isn't constrained by its history (911) and isn't limited by a committee in a room (most manufacturers today). I will pay for design.

13. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    I may be on the wrong side of history, BUT, a Tesla will NEVER be able to match the feeling you get from this: :p

14. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Everyones tastes are different. I prefer the looks and styling of any Ferrari over a Tesla. Tesla's are just ugly, fast cars. I smile every time I walk into the garage and get to see my gorgeous 328. Slower than some Honda's these day, but with looks to kill! At the end of the day, I much prefer a Ferrari in my garage than a Tesla. Speed alone can't top the myth and legend that is Ferrari.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    point being 99% of Ferrari owners aren't hammering long traffic free curvey mountain roads all the time. they are building carbon in the valves in the city going to fine dining and C&C. the Tesla will kick their ass all the way to those city events.

Auraraptor likes this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    this is the part that won me over, but I was just a 328 and Cali driver. also all those years racing I was in "momentum" Mazdas". I just couldn't get over that slam in back acceleration that puts a permagrin on your face. maybe I just need to get into American Muscle. ;)

vrsurgeon likes this.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, again, in 5-10 years Ferrari will only be the the "it sounds better" car. :D

ddrewesusa likes this.
  18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Performance has been a moot point for some time with gasoline engines for quite some time. Think of it this way, why doesn't an entry level Mazda have an 750HP gasoline engine? It's the same aluminum, plastic and steel as a Ferrari engine so why doesn't an MX3 NOT have a massively powerful engine? You presume that it will happen with electric (which BTW don't presume that Ferrari won't push performance limits in conjunction with other manufacturers).

It's the same story now with gas as it will be with Electric. What do car buyers pay for? Performance, fit, finish and amenity. Why can't I NOW hop into the neighbors new Focus and spank a 458? I think it's mistaken to assume that in the future the same performance engineering will be the same when it's not in ICE cars. We COULD have entry level ICE cars at the Toyota dealership that have 800HP. Why dont' we? Similarly, won't electrical performance come with increased consumption of electrons as it does with increased gas comsumption?

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I would LOVE to be able to be happy with a Murican' Chebby or Stang'. I seriously would. My wallet would hug me. My wife would smile at the thought of the Louboutins I could buy her instead of the Ferrari and its maintenance.

But I just can't sit in the cheap crappy "leather" mixed with cheap low quality painted plastic. At least in my 360 the now de-stickied interior is higher quality materials. :)

ddrewesusa and rob lay like this.
  20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari is the only car company in the world with an amusement park. That should tell you all you need to know.

It's a fashion company now with its little boutiques etc. To the masses, if it looks good and draws attention to the owner who cares what powers it.

I can bet in the near future..say 10 years people will look at gas powered cars like they look at people who smoke cigarettes.

vraa, rob lay and papou like this.
  21. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    "Smoke"? Not quite. I read just yesterday in Motortrend how the SF90 they tested went to 60 in 2.10 seconds as opposed to the Plaid's 2.07 seconds on an "unprepped" surface. The columnist also made a comment about how the Ferrari did so 'on command' as opposed to the Plaid, which took '15 minutes of prep' or something to do it--whatever that means. But still, 0.03 seconds' difference = "smoke"?

JAM1 and crinoid like this.
  22. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Driving a gadget/fast golf cart doesn’t do it me.

To each their own I suppose…

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    this is not a fair perspective. never driven one? they are 100% car minus the noise, just a lot quicker.

24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I just dont get it, why in Gods name is anybody comparing an ugly 5000 lb , piece of S*** electric motor, to any ICE . And by the way, the quality of these teslas have been tested , and they suck over the long term , so theres that . I could care less what the lap times are. My Infinity will outclass, and out corner those piles of crap, any day of the week and twice on sundays,with whomever is driving one out here, and Ill be smiling all the way home. I saw a 2022 Porsche GT3 at the dealer in Fairfield CT, its insane, and it will be my next car, how any enthusiast would choose an electric motor over any sports car, is beyond me. Thats what these are, electric motors with wheels and tires, and thats it, its that simple. One more thing, they are butt ugly, and a complete waste of the earths raw materials, I dont care how fast they claim it to be, good grief .

Thank you

RedTaxi and JAM1 like this.
  25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's really nice to be nostalgic.. but times are changing. Best to start experiencing things first hand. Take one for a ride.

paulchua likes this.