The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes

I’m over here waiting to see the big explanation on how you tell 70% of the country that they have to buy a $100k piece of electric crap with $5000 a year repair bills (electrical faults are easy to find) when their family makes $60k a year.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They will not be 100k in 10 years. They will be cheaper then the cheapest current ICE car.

Golden Steed likes this.
  3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Meh.

We waste money on ALL KINDS of stupid stuff. Electric car development has very much been like DARPA and military development or NASA: the tech created there is spreading to other areas. In the long run we look to make great overall advancements in consumer tech because of electric vehicles.

I don't want to live in a shack in the wilderness, so I'm not emotionally burdened by paying taxes. I believe in infrastructure and government programs. I just want the money spent well.

4. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Where is all the lithium and mainly cobalt going to come from for 1,000,000,000 cars? It is a limited resource with crazy extraction costs. The cost of batteries will be going up, not down.

20 million tons of lithium in worldwide estimated reserves.

144 pounds of lithium per 70kw tesla battery. Or 0.07 tons per battery.

20,000,000/0.07 = 286,000,000 batteries. Therefore, we can have 286,000,000 electric cars at any one time in the world.

The math does NOT work. Unless you can recycle the lithium from old batteries in a very extremely efficient way, without lithium losses, electric cars go bye bye after 286,000,000 of them.

Since Cobalt is extremely rare, this may be the real dagger.

David_S likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Soundly disagree. The only reason I own a Ferrari is that V12 package. I look at it lovingly. It's perfect.

Some random thoughts:

Sign of the times when people mention Camaro and Tesla with respect to Ferrari. They just don't get it. Same with the Corvette crowd IMO.

People speak of Enzo as if he's living in their basement! The man was born in 1898. Long dead. He was a racer and then a builder. Unless you have actually risked your life for a cheap plastic cup you don't know what that means. Like when the doc makes his rounds in the hospital the first thing you ask him from your bed is how soon to race again. Or when your surgeon asks you why do you continue to do this and do you make any money at it. Racing is pure competition sitting atop a machine. If electric motors give you the advantage that your poor skills lack then you'll do it.

Pierro is not Enzo and cannot speak for him IMO. He's more of a salesman for a car company in those videos. His dad was from a much different time. No one knows what Enzo would think today. The OK boomer crowd would actually hate him seeing as he was two generations before boomers.

On the road people love electrics. The new youth see it as a chance to grab at some of the Ferrari air without actually being a car person and spending the cost of a house for a car. Don't kid yourselves though. When all cars on the road are electric they will be externally speed limited or autonomous. We are just marching slowly to that point. Just like hybrids only existing to bridge to electric. But nearly everyone alive today won't be around when all this happens.

ross and Elisesko like this.
  6. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    And that, my friend, is the real question.

Golden Steed likes this.
  7. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    SirTony76 likes this.
  8. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Many testers are scared to death of this car...it can accelerate like no other but cannot slow this pig down. Brakes and suspension are no match for this car. Some have even said that this car is downright dangerous. No thanks

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you aren't following along are you.

first of all, I just said this a few posts ago.

I do admit passion waning for the latest direction of Ferrari turbos, no manuals, hybrids, SUV's, FF/Lusso, as many model variants as Porsche, and especially cars that don't differentiate from other manufacturers including Chevy.

BTW, our electric car forum is kicking ass, brings in 5x the advertiser dollars per traffic.

https://www.insideevsforum.com/

10. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Electric cars are gaining in popularity but they will never replace ICE sports cars. For the truly mechanically inclined driving a V-12 is an experience that can not be replaced regardless of performance. As you drive the thought of all tht is going on inside that beast and controlling it is what the thrill is for me. Tesla replacing Ferrari? Never, that’s like photography replacing a a fine oil painting. It’s not a matter of nostalgia, it’s a form of art that can’t be replaced. Not to say that photography isn’t an art form as well, but it can replace a fine painting, the same way instant torque from a standstill can’t replace the appreciation I have for ICE

Bob Zambelli likes this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    100% true, but that is irrelevant. Tesla or what other EV car can look just as good as a Ferrari, especially today's standards hard to differentiate between a C8 and Ferrari.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

Interesting post. I think Enzo Ferrari were he alive today and actively managing the company would be embracing electrification now. perhaps not for total power but certainly to boost the performance of the cars. Many forget that Enzo did not really care much about the road cars, he thought that the people buying them were foolish because the technology was old, and they could not handle the cars, etc... he basically like that he was the son of a poor ironworker - and now he was selling to kings and the uber-rich.... I would think that would continue today. That being said, in F-1 and racing Eventually, he would embrace what it takes to win. However, he would fight to keep the ICE going as long as possible, and then finally ditch it like it never existed. He was a competitor and wanted to win... and make money.

As for Ferrari and electric .... I think people are thinking that all cars will be based on the same architecture, and I think this is wrong. I'm sure drawing on Racing tech, and batter and electric motor tech will evolve much quicker and we'll see vastly more aerodynamic cars with regenerative tech, movable surface and distorting panels that will define Ferrari and the like vs. Tesla. As is it today you are paying for top-of-the-line technology - 4-5 years from R&D, vs. Tesla which is 20 + year old tech scaled to production... I also think Ferrari's cars will look just as aggressive and sexy as in the past, and freed of ICE - the formats can take on even more exotic shapes. with Ferrari it's not really been how fast you go, but how well you go fast.... I don't see that changing. I also think there will be an ambiance package that will give you the ability to tune your electric car to any Ferrari noise you like... F1 car, 330 p4 , 250GTO, 812 etc... or even silent peaceful mode... its still going to be about the experience of driving. I also think the performance of cars will vastly increase with the use of computers, GPS, and the ability to absorb G's that limit current driving. I can see a Nurburgring time of 3-4 Min... with max G's of 4-5, and completed in total safety by use of Satnav etc.... I'm not as pessimistic ... and you will if you like be able to drive your older Ferrari ICE - it will just cost a lot more.

tbakowsky likes this.
  13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't understand.

15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I only thought you had 3 forums based on the "left side navigation" (shown in the image) , so I had no idea you had an "electric car forum" which is why I posted what I did (that you should start an electric car chat forum...)

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's inevitable. EV will smoke any Ferrari and even on a race track. I think Tesla lapped the plaid as fast as a P1 around Laguna Seca. Sure it might not last 5 laps but that's right now. In 5 or 10 years batteries will be lighter and the car will be even faster.

Do i care? Not anymore. I made my peace with it. Ferrari (And Lambo, Porsche, Mclaren etc) wont be the king of the drag or the tracks anymore. It sucks but nothing we can do.
    Afterall, the cars i dream about are already slow by today's standards. An F50 will be embarrassed by a Cayman GT4. Same for an F40 or a Diablo or a Daytona.so i cant imagine what a new EV will do to them. But EV are appliances. You might get a rush going from 0 to 80mph but that's it. Wont get the noise, the mechanical interaction, the smell and the actual work of driving the car.

That's why so many people race classic cars when they could well afford to buy a 488 Challenge or 991 Cup.

To me as long as the powers that be dont ban ICE cars or make it incredibly expensive, i will be happy.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ohh, we haven't seen any reason to promote the EV forum on the Exotic Car ones. Not only EV vs. Ice, but 99.9% of the EV discussion is regular cars like the Volt. Tesla already has a large forum we don't even try to compete with.

paulchua likes this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I really think Ferrari missed the boat 5+ years ago, they could have got ahead of this. They did go hybrid and although many think it is the best of both, I look at it as a compromise, which shouldn't be Ferrari. They should have gone full in on a model line that was the ultimate EV, maybe a little like Rimac. Ferrari could have still had its dozen other model lines, but just have a single model line for the ultimate EV. Now Rimac, Tesla, and even Porsche have got ahead.

19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I really think within 10 years you will look at those gas cars in your garage like a pack a cigarettes that has zero place in your home. Electric conversion will be the order of the day. You may not want to believe it..but that day will arrive.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but two things right now just pushed me into a new BMW M850xi. The first is range and cold climate. I don't like the idea that I can't drive 500 miles with the heat on. Second is crash results. I feel safer with all that metal in front of me in a head on crash.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amusing to read about the poor quality of Tesla’s interior… I mean not like Ferraris are exceptionally well
    Made. Better than Tesla’s of course but …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenney likes this.
  21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Imagine if Tesla's had switches ...?!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    don't go there, that's a sticky issue!

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello.

I assume you hate Teslas because they make no natural ICE sound. I can understand this. I know people who refuse to drink Diet Coke, will only listen to live music (forbid recordings), never sit in a massage chair, refuse deodorant, or buy a picture print (only accept original painting.)

This all said I've always said to each their own. Now, don't think of this as a facetious critique, I always prefer 'real' vs 'faux' so I get it.

However, may I enquire why you don't like Musk? The reason I ask is I see this viewpoint actually quite often. Every time it happens, I try to have a good-faith discussion on why? The only answer I got was jealousy. I'm not saying that's you of course, hence again, may I ask the reason behind your consternation toward the man?

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Rob,

It's like you read my mind.

Agree with you 1000%

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    EXACTLY!

iWatch did not destroy Rolex
    TVs did close down Broadway
    ESPN did not burry Madison Square Garden
    Spotify didn't make concerts obsolete
    McDonalds didn't change Michelin's 3 stars
    Fabreze did not make gardens an anachronism
    Massage chairs did not put masseuses out of jobs
    Mass reproduction did not put Christie's out of commision.

need I go on?

What can I say, it's like philatelists shaking their fists at Pitney Bowes. What can I do but laugh?

Pis7a2020 and Ash Patel like this.