The Testarossa on the Grand Tour | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The Testarossa on the Grand Tour

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    blkdiablo33 likes this.
  2. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not really, as they didnt test a Qv vs the testarossa.

3. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats not a QV, and even then you can see the TR driver launched much more aggressively .

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That’s what I call a fair comparison. I’m French and can translate for u: the other test driver says the lambo is not ergonomical at all; hard to shift and slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 512 TR came out in 92, 2nd year of Diablo production. Why would you want to compare that to a much older Countach? The 512TR is comparable to the Diablo, which will kill the 512.

Shark01 likes this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Disagreed - it’s not about year it’s about iteration and model year. We just have different opinions. If u are going to put the best iteration of the countach which was the tr rival against a Tr; then u should put the best tr iteration against it. The Diablo’s development is a total different era than a TR that started in the mid 80’s.

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is actually my video that I uploaded. If you watch the video, from aprox the 1:09 mark you can see that both cars are very evenly matched, even at times looking like the Countach still had a slight edge. At the end of the race, you can see where the Countach driver is in 4th, and is about to shift 5th, but hesitates, and simply lets off in 4th thereby showing the 512 instantly pulling away. Inmo, had the Countach not had the wing, it would of pulled the 512TR pretty good. A 512TR only makes around 15rwhp more than a regular Testarossa on a rwd dyno.

8. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 512 came out years after the Countach. It is not a fair comparison. The 512 was Ferrari's answer to the Diablo, as was the Maranello, and the Diablo killed both.

Shark01 likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Not true- the platform is based on the TR; u know that, it’s an 80’s car improved to the max of its abilities ... when did the development of the diablo start ?the 512 was not meant to face the diablo the Maranello I agree but the 512 was at best the transition model... let’s agree to disagree we have different opinions that’s it;)

10. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ive had my 91 Testarossa now since last Oct. From the observations that Ive made with my 87 Countach, the Countach handles much better. It is much more stiff, and has much less body roll. In comparison the Testarossa feels like a Cadillac. On track of course this is a negative, but on the street this is one of the reasons why people say that the TR was more comfortable to drive. People making excuses that the Countach had better tires etc is laughable as well. Both on factory spec tires, both in the rain, same driver. Where the Countach lacks inmo over the TR, is brakes. The TR brakes are considerably better. The Countach certainly accelerates faster than the TR as well, and in this test the Countach had the rear wing attached which slows it down.

On a side note, Harry mentioned on Instagram that they ran the Countach on a dry track, and it set a very respectable time. Additionally Abbie Eaton on Instagram also mentioned, that for her the Countach was the better of the two hands down. In my younger days I always felt the Testarossa didnt hold a candle to the Countach. As the ultimate thrill ride I still feel that way, but have grown to love the Testarossa in its own right. Extremely happy to own both.

11. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 512TR is VASTLY different from a Testarossa. Even the chassis is different. It was certainly meant to rival the Diablo, and Ferrari kept it going until 1995. 4 years after the Diablo started production.

Shark01 likes this.
  12. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So here you are saying that its ok to compare an OLDER Countach which was competing with the Boxer to a much newer redesigned Testarossa when it purportedly loses, but if the Countach wins, then a fair test is with a 512TR which came out years after the Countach ceased production? Ah, I understand now. The Countach is no more difficult to shift than the Testarossa, under power its actually smoother and quicker. The Testa is notchier. Ergonomics? Well inmo neither are fantastic, but neither really wins over the other. The Testa with its huge bus like steering wheel requires you to wrap your knees around the wheel, the Countach seats are more supportive. Hard not to bang your knee going into reverse with the Testa. Both have good and bad points.

Shark01 likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Ok- clearly u are guilty of the same crime in comparing the diablo vs a 512TR aren’t u?
    U seem to be an older gentleman so maybe this comparison will help you try to understand my point; back in the 95/96 year intel released its first pentium processors: pentium 60/66/75/90/100, they also had at the time the 486 processor the outgoing version which was the the 486/dx -4/100. Some people though that the 486/100 was just as fast as the pentium 60 if not faster because it had a CPU at 100mhz VS 66 for the pentium but in reality the development were much different. The pentium had faster memory, agp capable graphic cards etc.
    The 512 TR is a completely other era than the diablo as far as development and can not really be compared in my opinion whereas to me, and obviously not to you, the 512Tr is a direct heritage of the TR family sharing many components with upgrade. In my opinion it’s the best of the TR and should be compared with the best of the countach.
    U are very blessed and I’m sure deserving to have both.
    On that bombshell - I am fine we disagree and wish u a great night!;)

turbo-joe and Jakuzzi like this.
  14. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The direct competitor to the countach is the Testarossa. The Direct competitor to the Diablo is the 512, and Maranello. The Diablo disperses both.
    Info from Harry who owns both the Countach and TR on Grand Tour.

I thought this episode of Grand Tour might spark a bit of debate!
    The Countach was great throughout, never touched it mechanically over several days of filming, while the Testarossa had some big issues which meant we had to film this section of GT over three sessions. Basically, we started to hear a random knocking deep down in the TR engine on the first day of filming that got worse the more it was driven. It turned out to be a bearing coming loose on the water pump shaft, deep in the engine, which required the engine to be taken out and then stripped in order to fix.

Then when we got to the timed laps day, they did the filming in the morning when it was properly wet. I was a bit gutted to be honest but there was nothing I could do about it. When the lap times came in, there was surprise at just how much quicker the Countach was compared to the TR. I wasn't surprised at all.. After much discussion behind the scenes at GT during the day, there was concern the TR lap time might not be representative because the gap was so big, so they asked if they could do another set of (un-filmed) timed laps at the end of the day to check they were correct and by then the track was dry.

The result was a stunning lap-time for the Countach but the gap to the TR's dry lap-time remained the same, so it proved the morning's wet lap times were correct. It's just a shame they didn't run with the dry lap-times on the programme but as they didn't film the dry runs, they couldn't be used. Next time..

And now you also know why my new set of Pirelli P7 tyres are knackered after only approx 800miles of driving!

Shark01 likes this.
  15. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The purpose of this showdown was to put two cars that would have been around at the same time together on the track and in a drag race. Two cars that the world loves to generalize as comparable.

The 5000QV and the TR models used in this comparison are appropriate. Suggesting a 512TR should have been used doesnt make any sense. This wasnt a test of the best of a model or it would have been a 25th anniversary countach versus a 512M. And even then I bet the TR would have lost.

Ferrari has always targeted a more relaxed GT like experience with this genre of their cars from Daytona up to 812. Somehow Ferrari got into a pissing match with Lambo after the Miura came out because the Miura was better than their car at the time. By the end of the Countach, Lambo was heading in a different direction than ferrari. The 550M is a perfect example of just how divergent the Ferrari models would become when considering Lambo was well into their Diablo by this time.

The only thing the Testarossa and the Countach have in common is their outrageous designs and flagship positions at their time. But they both sought out to accomplish two different goals; one was a flashy Italian muscle car and one was a flashy Italian GT.

Shark01 likes this.
  16. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #67 ferralc, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    The 512tr was not the car competing against the Diablo. That was the F40
    I remember every single magazine comparing those two cars.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a15141339/judgment-day-ferrari-f40-meets-lamborghini-diablo-archived-comparison-test/

Attached Files:

17. Natkingcolebasket69

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Countach is very easy to drive at fun speeds. A driver will reach a wrong opinion about the car if he/she drives it around the parking lot and down the block.

With more experience driving the car, the Countach becomes simple to master. In addition, the Countach has a lot of variations. The 1978-1990 cars may look similar, but a lot of mechanical differences were offered with different markets. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Shark01, PineChris, xplodee and 2 others like this.
  19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Driven both I prefer the tr over the countach now comparing which one is more collectible and command more $ that will be countach just my opinion to have both is Awsome

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    The diablo is amazing having owned a 94 and 98 my 94 would walk away from a 512 tr

Shark01 and MOSS like this.
  21. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Shark01, VColin and xplodee like this.
  22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I'd love to get my hands on a 91 someday. Waiting patiently :)

23. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
  24. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris