The time had not come. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The time had not come.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Beautiful girl! Congratulations!

You will be sneaking looks at her while she sleeps the way you used to go out the garage and gaze at your Ferrari, but the feeling in your heart will be MUCH deeper!
    Alden

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Would it make any sense to put some beveled 1/4"+ delrin on the front bottom of the valence to limit scraping and damage? I know they sell shield kits like this for some of the newer F cars.

I am going to remove my valence soon for some minor repair and just wondered what I could do to improve it while I have it off.

The bottom of the spare wheel well looks lower than the valence too!
    Alden

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    OMG, PV !!!!!!! .........

What a gorgeous little girl.

And indeed - a very Happy New Year, mate !!!!!

Cheers,

Hank

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Contratulations to you and your GF! Sweet girl you guys have. Wish you guys a very good Christmass and joy in the years to come!

All the best,
    Tijn

5. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Congratulations with the little girl.
    Now 44? - planning on putting the car together when 65? Forget it..... you'll be running to the garage to spend some quiet hours by yourself ;)

Just kidding, enjoy the newby and a Merry Xmas and a fine 2016!
    Best
    Jurgen

6. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #106 PV Dirk, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Things feel a bit slow here in the Mondial section so I thought I'd say hi. Progress is being made. Not much. I'm probably at a rate of 1 bolt per month right now. But, I have collected all the parts for my car. As best I can tell all parts, gaskets, etc, everything I need for reassembly is there. Of course the car is in Oregon and I live in Arizona now but we are trying to figure out a trip back up there again so I can make some progress. I think the car has been apart close to two years now so I'd really like to get it going again. I was up there a month ago with the family. I'm trying to bring the next generation up right by putting the wrench in my step sons hand. I had the exhaust sampling ports removed and blocked to head off exhaust leaks, they were pretty rotten and bolts were all broken loose. I've had the water pump rebuilt, new gators put on the axles, new plug wires. Injectors cleaned and all new o rings. I'll let you know when I have a chance to get more done. And of course an updated picture of my daughter :D who is healthy and active.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Look at me only taking 7 months to reply :)
    Alden, you've probably already rebuilt this. I think many I have seen were more than scraped, they were a bit broken at mounting points due to impacts. Something that was very slick might allow for more ricochet than impact, I'm not sure. We'd probably need an engineer with an interesting specialty to let us know.

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #108 Alden, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, yes I already repaired it and put it back on the car, I did find some broken mounting points, repaired those and she's high and tight now, still think some kind of slick beveled plastic on the leading edges would help it deflect rather than break.

Alden

9. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    What a beautiful baby! Congratulations again!

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #110 PV Dirk, Aug 31, 2016
    Spent a few days working on the car. Made great progress. Intake runners, injectors, plenum, air lines, alternator, starter, timing belt covers, exhaust, axles injection. Repainted expansion tank and installed. Installed radiator and made all connections. I was hoping before I left the car would be on it's own wheels but I did not get that far. A couple challenges. The idler bearing for the water pump belt doesn't feel good and I broke two injector seals, bummer. Not the o ring, the insert that the injector goes into. I'm chasing that one down. Looking for a potential cross reference item. I'll let y'all know if I come up with something.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #111 PV Dirk, Aug 31, 2016
    This is the injector seal that I broke. I could not get it to seat fully and when I went to remove it the lower lip that holds the o ring in place broke out. I'm chasing down leads. I know one person makes them and I may go that route.

12. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #112 PV Dirk, Aug 31, 2016
    Brake lines. I had found a set of brake lines at a dealer a few years back and never got around to installing them. The lines came loose easily and new ones installed without an issue. I didn't realize manufacture dates were printed on them. The old one didn't photo well but it was dated 2/87. Appropriate for a 1987 model year car. The new one you can see the date clearly. Not made recently but much better than what I had.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    There you have it. Another stumbling block I had were the copper crush washers for the oil cooler connections to the engine. I was sure I had ordered some, and I have stock of three sizes of crush washers but none were what I needed. So I'll place an order and hopefully next time I can make some time I'll get that engine back in place. :)

I'm sure there are a few items I forgot, like now I'm remembering that I replaced the fuel filter as well.

Cheers All.

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    But you're making progress, and that in and of itself is goodness!

15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #115 PV Dirk, Sep 19, 2016
  16. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #116 PV Dirk, Sep 19, 2016
  17. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Very nice gift!

But that "lighter" style plug is not correct for your year Mondial. You need the older BMW style plug that goes in the outlet on the right side of your glove box. You may also have a plug near your battery.

I have the correct one for you in perfect shape if you want to trade even.
    Alden

18. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Looks like the one for my 348...

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks Alden,

It's back burner right now. I'll keep your offer in mind when I get around to thinking about that. That sounds bad. I guess right now all my mental power is focusing on getting this thing with 4 wheels under it and moving under it's own power :D

20. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #120 PV Dirk, Sep 23, 2016
    I was able to swing by my shop for a few days again. Unfortunately I got a cold at the same time. Probably better I'm here than home with the baby while I have a cold. So I'm moving slowly. Installed caps/rotors. New O ring for cold start injector. Oil cooler mounted to engine. Oil filter in place. Before install I'm going to put a battery to it and crank it over to get oil moving through it. I'll do a quick check for glaring leaks and then will think about the install.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    that's a beautiful looking engine! Keep up the great work.

22. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #122 PV Dirk, Sep 23, 2016
    My Mondial has rubber plugs allowing access to the sills on either side of the car. At front they are behind the front wheel. At the rear at the front edge of engine bay. I've read somewhere that factory recommends periodic treatment of this enclosed cavity with waxoil. I purchased a 3M product Rust Fighter-1 08892. I purchased a 3 foot long wand so I could get the full length coated.

Been thinking about this for a while. Glad I did it. Tunnels in my car are solid but a bit of surface chalky rust in there.

The can says "for use as an internal cavity wax"

The masking was unnecessary, easy to control and it's just an oily waxy product.

Has anyone else done this? If it's not too late it appears to be a good preservation step.

23. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #123 PV Dirk, Sep 23, 2016
    Yea,

I was waiting at the front window for the mail man to come. I've been tracking a package sent to me from The Netherlands and when the post man appeared I rushed to him and asked if he had registered mail for me. He did!!!

Thanks Geert Jan!

I was trying to research an alternate route with Mercedes parts but it didn't work out what I had purchased. It was promising and I can't say it couldn't work and there may be something else that could have worked but I don't have to worry about that now. :D

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Thanks Paul,

Maybe one day we'll be able to cross paths. When the car was running I was certainly not worried about putting miles on it. :)

25. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    #125 PV Dirk, Sep 26, 2016
    It was a busy busy weekend. As seen on the other post we found cracks to the subframe that we fixed. Grind, weld, clean, paint. My engine has been out of the car for two years now and when I reinstalled the cams I flooded the journals with oil but it's been sitting. So I decided to hook up a battery and crank the engine over with no plugs in place to allow it to spin free and build oil pressure through the system. We then lined it up and dropped the car. It was great having my master tech brother there. When reattaching the shifter we accidentally shifted the transmission into no mans land. We pulled the transmission pan, figured out what we had done and put it back into place and closed it up. About 30 minutes in all. It was hard to move the lock nut on the back of the throttle cable. Bleeding the clutch took a long time. Brakes were a breeze. And last night at 8:30 pacific we got it started. We let it warm up and then took it for a drive to put some gas in it and show it to the family. I'm not done yet. Rear grill, underbelly pan, even the interior opening hasn't been closed up yet. But it was a success. Transmission shifts perfectly. It was a good news day. Now I'm on layover headed back home. The car will take another day to get it fully assembled and then it will need a bath. This was my goal for this car, to do an engine out service. I'm really excited that the transmission was so easy to fix and it was my first time opening it up and I'm no longer scared of it. :D