The Turbo Testarossa Discussion | FerrariChat

The Turbo Testarossa Discussion

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MOSS, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I still am a fan of Twin Turbo for the TR. James Patterson does such an incredible job and people that see the car almost expect to see
    the turbos under the rear bonnet. That and the big brembo brake kit bring this car to the 2019 year of performance and looks in my opinion.
    Like Shamile says, no plug in to obd, no check engine lights and mostly conventional and it is an outright blast to drive. Add electronic power steering
    and you have the one and only exotic you will ever want. It will destroy any exotic you come up against and has the looks to back it up!

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  2. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Let me add that I drove my Patterson built Twin Turbo for over a year correctly and non abusively but spirited with no broken parts at all. I used the
    power.

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Do they replace the differential and drive shaft? I know the engine will support the extra power but the weak drivetrain components can barely handle the stock power.
    I would have two testarossas one completely original and a modded monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    No, all stock.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How did we drift from testarossa prices to turbos?!;)

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry, but even with Turbos the TR will certainly not destroy any exotic you come up against.

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Lol, okay. You have no idea what I'm even talking about.

8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    With 78 pages of the same old boring non eventful subject these threads seem to go a little off course when an interesting subject related
    to the TR comes up. I guess that's it.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Shamile like this.
  9. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Maybe I should have been more specific and not as abrupt in my response. I apologize for that. The Tr motor Norwood Italia builds makes 1000hp on pump gas but I have access to easy obtainable high octane fuel so with boost turn up it makes 1400-1500hp. Only the Bugatti and ultra rare and rare as Hens teeth exotics would run with that. The chances of you grabbing that race is next to not happening so I hope that clarifies my statement. In a typical modern day world it would certainly destroy any exotic you run against badly.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Ok and u think u can’t tune a Bugatti up to be the TR? It’s a never ending race.
    I had a cl65 tuned to the max, 2tons, 10.3 1/4miles... couldn’t go around a corner for nothing... it destroyed next to everything but at the end of the day it was still just a Mercedes the same way the TR would be just a 30 year old platform.

Aaron Givens, Shamile and turbo-joe like this.
  11. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    even u can and will beat a tr in ur benz im still looking better in the tr ha ha

12. Natkingcolebasket69

But that’s not my point saying the TR can be pumped to 1000bhp, who cares? The handles won’t follow, and certainly you can do this with a bunch of V8 or dodge demon. One of the very reason the TR went down in value is bc ppl trashed them through the years with poor service and tasteless upgrades. Let’s enjoy the TR for what it is or was...;)

Bradwilliams and turbo-joe like this.
  13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    lotsof cars will and can beat my tr i dont care the exprience driving the car is great and when they are faster im still looking better in my tr

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Exactly! U and I are on the same page.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #15 MOSS, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    I simply made a statement about having the TR as being my favorite and added the fact that it also can really rock and roll and smoke the other exotics that one would normally see and basically look at as a slow car but TT would more than even the battlefield. If you have never seen a TT TR you cant say tasteless mods. It looks like the factory did it. Anyone can mod cars above 1200-1500 hp to beat it of course. This is not a Ford vs Chevy comparison. Im just saying it still looks like new Ferrari art but can tastefully be made to be an incredible performing exotic if so desired. Thats all. The handles will stay with it and it is reliable as can be for fun spirited driving. Im not putting curb feelers on it. You can never have too much power : )

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Shamile and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  16. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #16 MOSS, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the monster I have with my competiton and instead of the original testarossa I have my 512 BB :)

what you understand under destroy? so beeing faster? if from starting then the monster is slow, but as soon as it is going with about 50 km/h in the right gear and the right boost you will nearly not find anything what you can not beat :)

:) right, but you have to know how to use this power and not only push the gaspedal down to the limit ;)

MOSS and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Vielen Dank Romano! U are right, people are so getting confused between power and how to use the power;)

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ill reiterate to your point, at 1500hp, the Testarossa wouldnt even make it down the street before falling apart. I believe I have some old magazines testing the Norwood TR, off the top of my head they were running 13's in the 1/4 at around 130mph. Taking away any of your examples which would make the TT Testarossa look like it went in reverse, any modern car , from a new E63 Mercedes, to a Huracan would obliterate it.

peteficarra likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Uh a regular unmodified TR runs the 1/4 in 13.0-13.2 so I would double check on the 1/4 mile aforementioned

MOSS and turbo-joe like this.
  21. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think it will have a hard time doing that. According to the Worlds fastest Cars article, the Testarossa ran 13.7 @111. The Twin turbo model went something like 130mph at the same point, but its time to speed did not improve much.
    http://porschecarshistory.com/world-s-fastest-car-1987-road-track-mag/

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I mentioned in my post here no. 1955 ( oh, that is also my birthyear :) ) the testarossa TT is too heavy to start from standing with full power without breaking some. but when it has reached about 50 km/h then there is nearly nothing equal - even today, so 30 years later

23. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
  24. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The article even mentions that where the TR shines is in roll on acceleration, clocking 60-160mph in 12.8 sec. A Mclaren 720S does 0 to 160mph in 11.7 sec... https://fastestlaps.com/models/mclaren-720s

So a reg old Mclaren, can give the TR a 60mph head start, and beat it from a dead stop to 160mph.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I´m not talking about a standart testarossa, I talk about a koenig competition, so twin turbo with the highest power output and a max speed from more than 350 km/h ( GPS tested by myself on german autobahn near frankfurt, but was not able to read exactly because of the traffic ), could be faster but the rpm limiter was working and not even remember at what rpm :(

Natkingcolebasket69 and MOSS like this.