The Two Distributor Caps | FerrariChat

The Two Distributor Caps

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Subito Grigio, Jan 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I am discovering and learning about these:

1. A really useful YouTube is found by searching "QV Distributor Cap."

2. Each cap should have a rubber cover.

3. The caps on our cars may be 30 years old and getting very susceptible to cracking - especially around the mounting screws.

4. When refastening these caps be extremely careful regarding final tightening of the three mounting screws. In some cases the plastic around a given screw is already partially cracked inside the plastic body such that when I try to remount and do final tightening - it cracks completely (you will hear it crack) no matter how careful I am. Even finger tight will crack it because it was already partially cracked!

5. I just bought five caps. One is a new reproduction from GT Car Parts. Four are used - in various states of use. One of the used caps is cracked and someone glued it back together - which was VERY hard to notice. (Sometimes tapping around the cap body will help us recognize an existing crack.). There should no no bumps, boils or flakes in the cap interior or exterior. I took out and kept all of the needle screws (1/8" flat screwdriver), took out the carbon button and retaining screw (turn counterclockwise very gently and pull gently, then took out the needle screw under the carbon button. I also gently popped out the glued-in numbers you might find on top of the cap. Kept all of those removed parts and got rid of the cracked cap.

6. I chose the best used cap from my several caps and removed all the above parts as well; then wiped it clean with a windex moistened paper towel or two. (My gut told me NOT to immerse the stripped-down cap for fear of hidden moisture that might remain inside the cap.). These caps probably contain and conceal a massive timed whirlwind firestorm - so cracks and moisture WILL be a problem.

7. Please be damned sure we don't mix up which of the five wires goes where!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Nick's XDI. Makes all your troubles go away. No affiliation just another satisfied customer.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Why not buy a new one as Superperformance list them at about £80 each

4. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    Fortunately or unfortunately I'm "old school" and want to keep the car as original as possible. I'm retired - so I have the time (and patience) to learn HOW to discover problems and repair them. If my efforts fail or if I become bored and frustrated with my current approach - I may copy your approach. Thanks for the tips. SG

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The original caps are of an interesting design, where the carbon button can be replaced and the contacts cleaned up, so often these caps can be restored. Overtightening will crack them (ask me how I know), so I now use a bit of loctite blue and do not tighten very hard to avoid the cracking. The newer caps do have the two holes in the sides, the originals did not, that let moisture out. The rubber overboots are what provides some element of waterproofing as the engine bay is kind of open to the elements. Nothing really wrong with this older design...Other than that the price of replacement items bears no relation to the low complexity of these parts.

6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Nice write up, thanks.

7. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    A quite delicate, thin cork gasket fits between the black plastic distributor cap and the metal distributor body. A small metal pin protruding from the metal body helps "locate" or "fix" or position the gasket properly on the body and MIGHT help hold it in proper placement as we strain ourselves to get the cap centered and oriented with five wires already affixed flopping around. Contortions of body and hand(s) ensue. Lighting challenges may appear; and it may be necessary to lay across parts of the car to readily address the situation. Your belt buckle must not be anywhere near the car! And I find a soft, large thick cotton exercise mat might even be necessary. Large hands don't do well in the engine bay! I found no evidence of any gasket seal or glue, etc., anywhere on either of the distributors.

SG

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I bought a replacement reproduction for my 308 QV a few years back. It was identical to the original in every respect except. No way to tell it was a reproduction when mounted on the car. Same vent hoses, removable carbon.... No difference at all.

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    At the Ferrari dealer they also cost £80 (euro). I am almost sure they are not original and they get them from the same supplier.

10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Plastic(s) do not last forever in a compartment where it is exposed to the elements including high voltage and heath. ;)

Same is for your extenders. At some point one just needs to replace them. The question is if you replace it when broken, you might be in a nasty situation when you are out on a longer trip or do you replace it to avoid troubles during a drive.

Ps. I have always a spare rotor, distributer cap and extenders with me and every trip (to Italy) there is someone who needs either of the three. :p

Alden likes this.