The URUS, the world's first Super Sport Utility Vehicle! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The URUS, the world's first Super Sport Utility Vehicle!

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Andrew R., Nov 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Yeah, I'm the odd one. I love it.
    I firmly believe this thing is more stunning in person than in photographs. I'm also sure the after-market enhancements that have yet to come, will launch this thing into all sorts of new appearances.

A welcomed break from the flood of lemming generation German and Asia market cars.

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #52 joe sackey, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Personally, I think Lamborghini is building some superb Supercars these days, and the brand is enjoying a solid & dedicated following, Ferruccio would be proud.

That said, besides the fact that I think they will sell Uruses like hot-cakes, here is what I think about the Urus, short & sweet:

Styling - Not Lamborghini’s best work, the words that come to mind are those of my disappointed grade school teacher who once inscribed in my report: “Must try harder”. As a 30-year Lamborghini enthusiast, my thought is, if you’re going to make an SUV, at least make one that appeals aesthetically, which may come later with a face-lift in a few years.

Heritage - There isn’t any, because, there is no V12 to afford the Urus linkage to Lamborghini’s beginnings and more specifically to the LM002. Jonny Lieberman’s stellar Motor Trend report makes the point much better than I can
    http://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-lamborghini-urus-prototype-first-drive-review/ and to me, the lack of a V12 is a non-negotiable deal-breaker.

Competition - A great SUV has imposing presence, classic restrained styling, commodious accommodation and is unstoppable off-road. The Urus has mountains to climb and rivers to cross to be held in the same esteem as some of the best SUVs in the world, for example http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/11234/range-rover-makes-the-best-suv-in-the-world , and, having seen the Urus, there is no danger my supercharged Range Rover (the 9th I’ve purchased in 22 years) is going anywhere.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I like it. I like it a lot.

4. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    To me,a v10 would be the"NEW" Lamborghini SUV, more than most,yet in sync with today. As far as "classic restrained styling" ? Has there ever been a new Lambo intruduced based on this? Range Rovers,yes,Lamborghinis, not a chance,ever.

5. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Looking at the prototype, I'm wondering why they changed it... ok for external mirrors, but evrything else was so attractive !

Now, more than ever I'm wondering Lamborghini to launch in 2023 a fourth range with front engine GT or 2+2... an Espada come back... the real only roots of the brand, all started with 350 GTV, 350 GT, 400 GT, 400 GT 2+2...

6. The car looks good and quite spectacular. Performance is great as well, and please keep in my this is the "entry-level" Urus, more powerful versions will follow for sure. In addition the car is quite spacious, even people tall as 1.90 meter will fit in a comfortable way in the backseats. The interior is very nice too, the amount of leather used in the car is impressive.

Of course I would have preferred a V10 or even a V12 engine but let's be realistic: emission laws and the fact that the chassis was never designed for such a big engine make it almost impossible. Lamborghini must earn money with this car. Fitting a V12 engine in it would make it much more expensive. On top of that a high revving naturally aspirated engine doesn't fit to a 2000 Kg plus car. The V8 engine will deliver a lot of torque at low revs.

I wish Lamborghini a lot of success with the Urus so that they still have the money do develop some crazy super cars in the future.

I wouldn't mind at all if they will introduce a new Espada in the coming years.

joe sackey likes this.
  7. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I actually like it too but they definitely could have done a bit better engine wise. Styling wise I see lots of cues from the Huracan and Aventador.

tomc likes this.
  8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Frankly, at first I really wasn't excited about it however, now after seeing it and realizing the genius of taking a Q7 and putting a Pontiac Aztec body kit on it and adding aerodynamic tuning forks at the front. Wow I am floored. Amazing machine.

LI2782 likes this.
  9. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Atleast the Bentayaga is un-apologetically a Bentley. Not to mention it is outmatched by the Model X.
    I don't see that much of a difference between this an a Lexus RX hybrid. http://www.lexus.com/models/RX-hybrid

crinoid likes this.
  10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd argue that of the 4 that I've seen "in the flesh," a red one and a black one DID look sporty. In probably any other colors? Not so much.

11. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    it’s a Q7 cloned from Buick Rendezvous DNA

tbakowsky and crinoid like this.
  12. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Now, now play nice.

I didn't mind some of the Gallardos and the Murcielago still looks good to me but it's just so humongous. All the other extreme styling limited production models do nothing for me. I haven't driven them though whereas I have the Gallardo & Murci.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think people would pay up for that, but, clearly, Lamborghini have volume sales rather than exclusivity in mind, for now at least.

Here's hoping for a crazier more exclusive V12 version in the future.

14. Short answer is money.

S_AGATA likes this.
  15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Don't care for it, but I'm sure it will be a success. Just seems kind of safe, and not groundbreaking at all.

I'm trying to choose between an F150 Raptor and a 2500 Power Wagon at this moment, so I'm not the target audience for the Urus.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think the consensus is universal on this.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. I would get the Raptor. Resale is better as a bonus. 10 speed automatic is awesome.

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    LOL. Those door handles and side mirrors make it look so cheap. The prototype looks a lot better, per the usual.

JCR likes this.
  19. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Raptors are stabelmates to lots of exotics,in my world, speaks volumes.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's roots? Really? The LM was a BEAST to drive. V12, it's own chassis..not shared with anything else, there is zero corrlilation between this Audi and the LM. This new "lambo" is nothing short of a cash grab.

Nuvolari likes this.
  21. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    C mon,you know better. Roots as in bussiness terms, they did build an SUV,iloabt, now they are doing another,as a supercar maker.beats Bentley,and Porsche,back when the Cayenne was concieved.

22. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    this new Lambo is everything the Lm was not, its fast and functional, the old LM was impressive to look at,that is,until you saw a street version of a Hummer H1,wich was aprox a foot wider, and 10 times mor intimidating,a few where aftermarked equiped with big block chevys,wich hp vice,would blow away the Lambo v 12, imho,the H1 killed the LM instantly.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I disagree. The history as to why the LM002 came about is a very rocky one as you know.

They are going flavor of the month with this one. If it was Lamborghini of the past, that sucker would have an Aventador engine in it and its own in house chassis. This "truck" is definatly not a Lambo LM002. It's a crap can Audi with a few changes.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The civilian hummer came out well after the LM was done production.

S_AGATA likes this.
  25. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    long story short, i respect the desision to bring this on the market,beeing they have a past in this segment,justifies it,imho,hopefully there will be uppgraded versions once it is established. I think its great, mony will hopefully be made(not to shure) to plunge inn to amazing bad ass 1000 hp 40 inch tall,2,5 metre wide Kermit green hyper cars.