Theft deterrants? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Theft deterrants?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ROGUE GTS, Oct 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. loki

loki Guest

Jul 25, 2005

That's awesome!

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    only to get it lifted by some tree hugging biodiesel lover.......

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    If somone REALLY wants your car it is theirs.

BASIC deterrants incude a gate lock and due to being race spec, have an electrical cutoff with key (i remove key and take it with me).

But in the end its just a car folks. Odds are they made thousands of your model Ferrari.

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Best I've seen and used is a winking red light connected to nothing. However, I have to say thay my alarm with a proximity sensor allows me to leave stuff (jackets, dark glasses, etc.) in my open convertible.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll second the observation about the car cover...

My Ferrari was missing a window for over 18 months, no one bothered it at the apartment...

Just before I moved they broke into the locked Trans Am, did over $1K damage, didn't get the car (diode key system)...

...then stole both my tool boxes from the back deck!

I'm still mad, it had a lot of Dad's old tools in there...new ones won't be the same......

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I prefer the system James Bond has in his cars.

It's hard on the vehicle, and isn't really a deterrent, but it takes care of the thieves.

7. alert1

alert1 Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    http://www.firststreetonline.com/product.jsp?path=-1|13491|37437&id=34608

8. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    There is no real deterrent to idiots. At lunch today my law partner’s new 545 was broken into to steal a $20.00 cell phone. They first tried prying the glass open, even though there is a sleeve surrounding the glass in the door frame. They were only successful in marring the frame and pulling a hole in the glass. When this didn’t work, they just smashed the whole window and reached in to steal the phone. Mind you this is in the front of a parking area within plain view of several witnesses. They did the whole thing in less than 20 seconds and drove off in their car. They did over $1,000.00 of damage for a $20.00 cell phone. It’s too bad that the witnesses were not some of you guys with your streetsweepers. Of course my partner might have a little more damage to his car, being that the guns you guys posted can shoot through schools. But that would be a small price to pay to prove Darwin right.

9. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam

There's another guy on here that uses similar language. I have been using that kind of language with my wife for several years. Usually it's about finding a space to park in parking lots. As in, "Well looky here Pat. These disrespectful SOB's screwed up and left us a place to park." Since I've been using that language myself for so long, I didn't consider it to be plagiarism. However, if it offends you, or anyone else for that matter, I apologize.

Also, I consider all thieves to fit my aformentioned description. If I should have the ocasion to refer to thieves, I may use that description again.

The guy who first used that language is in the middle east, as far as I know. I wish him all the luck in the world. He had his car stolen in . . . Idaho, I think.

Bob Wassam

10. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam

Now that I think about it, the language I used was the same thing as using expletives without using offensive language. What's the big deal about that?

If you'd rather read the honest expletives, which I really would rather use, clear it with Rob, and I'll use that language in place of the political correct language.

Bob Wassam

11. cossiemetro

cossiemetro Karting

Sep 4, 2005
    essex
    Full Name:
    tony
  12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Leave a few bullet casings or shotgun shells laying on the ground.

Helps when you don't want adjoining vacant land sold, too.

13. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    Maybe a sticker in the window which reads:
    "Pontiac Fiero" :D

I do have a coded entry to my garage + a tracking device installed somewhere in the car (you wont find it;););))
    And I almost never park the car where I cant see it....for more than 2 minutes.
    Too bad we're not allowed to shoot the bad guys :(

I read about a guy in Sweden once, he had his snake in his MB...a Phyton or whatever it was :):)

14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    One of our former insurance clients bought a large python for her husband for his birthday... the python got loose in the car on the way home and crawled into the unibody of the car, died, and stunk so bad that the adjuster wrote off the car as a total loss! They took the whole car apart looking for it but never found the carcass!

15. Gimme Fuel

Gimme Fuel F1 Veteran

Mar 15, 2003
    In my 348
    Full Name:
    Paul (Norway)
    oooo....spookey :D:D

16. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Along with the shell casings, paint a body outline on the driveway in front of your garage, maybe a little "crime scene' tape hanging from the corner of the garage door. Might make the buggers think about it, (assuming they can think).

my 0.00 cents,
    chris

17. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #43 surfermark, Oct 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If they want it they are going to get it....friend woke up to find his alarm system sitting on his back porch and his Vette gone

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I like the way you think!

20. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    The most extreme protection that I've seen was by a tenant of mine who rigged up an elaborate pepper spray system outside of his vehicle, triggered by motion/heat.

He was one paranoid guy...always miserable...always worried about some criminal ripping him off. He ended up suiciding.

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My theory (especially with the Boxer) is to just leave it unlocked. There is nothing of value in it, you can't open the glove compartment without the key on, and I doubt anyone will try to steal the whole car. And if they do, well, that's what insurance is for!

22. Koenig

Koenig Rookie

Sep 15, 2005
    Ottawa, ON
  23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I never lock any of my cars. That practice finally paid off last Mar. My next door neighbor and I had a little visitor very early one morning. They broke his window and grabbed what they could. They hit my driveway too and checked the Alfa and Ferrari but since - aside from the car - they have NOTHING of value in them (old Blaupunkts, the kind with knobs) all they did was leave the doors open when they ran. It could have been much, much worse, especially if they were locked. I was lucky.