Thermocouples, slow down lights, related CEL’s, and how to conquer them... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Thermocouples, slow down lights, related CEL’s, and how to conquer them...

Discussion in '348/355' started by jevs, Aug 9, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

+1000, and not to take anything away from what Jevs has done, but for anyone who still has cats on the car, this bypass solution is literally playing with fire. When I first started researching this system I couldn't believe that a Ferrari had this when so few other OEM's did, even those OEM's who use the same main ECU's. Surely Ferrari could have saved a few hundred $$$ by not putting it on, but then we discovered they had a very good reason for including it.

Apparently if you have ignition misfires, the main Motronic ECU's don't always catch them. In fact, you can have one bank of the engine not sparking, and the Motronic on that side will continue pumping fuel into the cylinders, and out the exhaust. If the cat on that side is still hot enough, the fuel will ignite and burn in the cat, and could and has caused a fire. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388515&highlight=fire

So if you no longer have cats on your car, then Jevs' system is what you need, but if you still have cats, you really need to think twice about bypassing/eliminating this system. This is why I opted to work with Aerospace Logic and develop a more reliable cat monitoring system. I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but it's really not - it's a cautionary advise.

2. Full

Full Karting

Feb 21, 2010
    Crato,Ceará - Brazil
    Full Name:
    Alessandro
    Just right here!!, FARRARICHAT, this is my favorite place!!

3. AVMotorsport

AVMotorsport Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex V
    Just want to thank Jevs for the research and tests he developed, AND shared with us, as I have been plagued with slow down lights for several months now. I have an MS Racing exhaust, with hi flow cats, and I have been getting the P1445 code... And through duplication of Jevs tests I determined that my passenger side Cat ECU is defective ( I.e, not giving out any voltage at the signal terminal), got it replaced, and no slow down light! The other ECUs are fine, so I just reinforced them with new solder joints at the terminals so hopefully they will give me many many more years of service.

I drove over 100 miles since the repairs with no SDLs, I am happy!

Thanks again!

Now to tackle the P0410 code that I still get every so often.

4. GF355

GF355 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Clayton
    Hey Jevs,
    Do you know what pin on the 5.2 Motronic is connected to the trigger/signal wire from the Bypass ECU?
    I have an Australian 5.2 355 with a USA ECU so its looking for this signal but the harness does not have these wires. I'm hoping to use your solution to feed it the signal it wants.

Thanks for taking the time to post great info like this for the rest of us.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    pin 56, for a full list, search 355 ECU pin out and wiring colors

6. GF355

GF355 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Clayton
    That's an impressive piece of work you've done there! It will save me a HEAP of time.

On you list it says pin 56 is for Ignition Lock but I'm hoping to find the pin for the trigger/signal from the thermocouple ecu that monitors the temperature behind the bypass valve in the exhaust. From reading your list I'm guessing it might be pin '73 Purple Temperature AGK' but I have no idea what AGK is.

Thanks for your help.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is the UNKNOWN pin on the list. I since figured out what that pin is for.

8. GF355

GF355 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Clayton
    Just to clarify, do you mean that 56 is not an ignition lock but is in fact the signal wire from the bypass pipe thermocouple ecu?

Sorry I might have misinterpreted what you said.

Thanks again.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What the 355 braintrust needs to do is perfect the work drbob1 started. He has just 1 bug left and his system leaves cat overtemp system intact. It is not a bypass like mine or Jevs and his solution is cheap.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No,

Pin 56, Ignition Lock, signal from the Immobilizer that tells the ECU to do its thing.
    Pin 42, Pink Black, analog signal from the By-Pass valve TCU that turns on the slow down light if it is too hot.

Previously pin 42 was function unknown.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The EGT solution which Dr Bob was following up on works but the problem was that when cold it would output less that 0.5 V which would cause the SDL to come on until the exhaust warmed up the TCs. He was working with EGT to modify the black box but there was a cost issue in that the electronics would have to reengineered. I believe there is a fairly simple DIY solution to the problem but I haven't gotten around to looking into it yet. I can not say wen of if I will.

12. GF355

GF355 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Clayton
    #87 GF355, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    Ah-ha. I just tried feeding the 0.5V signal to pin 42 and unfortunately it's not working for me for some reason. What I find odd is when I feed it 0.5V it lifts to 0.8V for some reason even though I disconnected the original wire from the pin. I've dropped the input voltage to 0.25 which then lifts to 0.5V but the SDL is still flashing away. I followed all of Jevs tests and both cat ECU's are working fine from what I can see. I'm worried the spike in voltage is a short in the Motronic.

Any thoughts?

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yes 1.5V shuts the light off. If you are chicken you can prove it with a 1.5V drycell battery like in your wireless mouse.

14. GF355

GF355 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Clayton
    Yes I read your awesome thread on this but doesn't the Motronic look for 0.5V from the bypass valve SDECU rather than the 1.5V needed to delete the two cat SDECU's?

After reading Jevs thread, I believe this is because the bypass valve SDECU tells the Motronic if the bypass valve is open when it shouldn't be i.e. at idle and cruise. From what I've read on here, 0.5V is from 0F - 500F and if the valve is shut then it would be in this range so 0.5V should keep the Motronic happy in theory, especially at cold start but my light is still flashing, even when cold.

15. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    great tutorial!

16. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My SDL was fluttering just before I dropped it off at the dealer for an F1 calibration. After picking it up the flickering was getting worse and I reflowed the ECUs without any improvement. I soldered up the simulators and installed them in the car opting for the aluminium cases flooded with silicone to keep things nice and sealed. After initially I went from a flickering SDL to a blinking one but after a 15 min drive the SDL stopped blinking and went dark.

A few observations.

1. I did the sanity check on the ECU harness resistance value and got 280 KOhms instead of the 312 K Ohms suggested, if one was off I would be suspicious but with all three I submit there was some minor change to the module.

2. When I was calibrating the module I did it live on the car to get the output voltage as correct as possible.

3. I do have a CEL without any codes I suspect was initiated by the SDL, How much mileage/drive cycles does it take to clear this?

17. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Can't speak to a 355, but both SDLs were coming on randomly in my 348. Replaced one thermocouple with one supplied by DrBob and that side SDL has not come back on since, while the other side still comes on randomly. Still need to replace the second thermocouple to confirm, but I'm pretty sure they were the cause of my specific problem, which is surprising since they look great and the car only has 22k miles on it. FWIW, the TCs I got from Bob look to be better assembled than the originals and his prices are great.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

18. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Also, does anyone know of a source for caps to install in place of the thermocouples?

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    The thread is m10x1. You should be able to search and find caps that size.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    NAPA.

21. f355al

f355al Karting

Jun 23, 2004
    Los Angeles area
    Full Name:
    Uncle Al
    Hi, Jevs,

I noticed that in my F355, there is a wire on the 4th terminal of the harness connector from the SC ECU; and wonder what provisions we need to make for that, as apparently it's used for something. I've almost finished my build of the thermocouple simulator, and am concerned that we missed something.
    I'm dealing with Casper on getting a part number on the specific 4 pin connector, will furnish it if you want.
    Thanks, Al

22. jevs

jevs Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2010
    Missouri
    Not sure about that. It has been a long time since I did this and I have not had the car for years. I do not recall if that 4th terminal that was not used on my car might just be shorted to one of the other pins of the module. I would check the schematic for your year car and see what it is. It may go nowhere, to a diagnostic port, a redundant wire connected to the same point, there because it is used in another application that does use the wire, or it's cheaper for a wire than to block the hole, or something else..... I would have to do more research to give you an answer.

Here is what I would do.
    1) Try to find a matching schematic that shows the 4th wire.
    2) If no schematic reveals the answer. I would disconnect the battery, pull the connectors from both modules. Ohm between the wires on the connector to see if any are shorted to the extra one to indicate a redundant connection. If it is just shorted to one of the other three, then it may not be needed.
    3) On the module, ohm between the terminal that has a wire going to it on your car and the other 3 and see if it is shorted to any of the other 3 or if it reads completely open to the others with no "reaction". If so, I would say it is not needed.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but I do not have access to any Ferrari's anymore.

23. f355al

f355al Karting

Jun 23, 2004
    Los Angeles area
    Full Name:
    Uncle Al
    #98 f355al, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I speak for a lot of folks on the forum, sorry to see you go.

AFAIK, that fourth wire ("Pin D") is only on the OBD-1 cars. Please see attached photo of the SD ECU harness connector on my car.

For the record, here is some data from the Ferrari schematics, which agrees with the insulation colors in my harness wiring:
    Pin A = 12 vdc input (green wire)
    [Next, connector guide pin/spacer here]
    Pin B = ground (black)
    Pin C = most probably the amplified thermocouple SD ECU output signal; violet/white wire. It leads to Pin 44 of the Motronic 2.7 ECU.
    Pin D = undefined function. (red/black wire leads to pin 11 of the 2.7 ECU). This one concerns me a bit since it's function is unknown. FWIW: On another make of car that uses the 2.7 ECU, this pin is a knock sensor input. It might be a backup/ failsafe /bank-shutdown/ throw-a-code signal in case of a cat gross overtemp.
    Thanks again for your hard work and input to the forum on this project.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Rice-Racer

Rice-Racer Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2015
    Jevs, just wanted to say this was one of the most logically, descriptive and to the point posts I've read here.
    I was leary of my temp sensors, proved them out all good and onto other tasks now.
    Great work!

25. chip master

chip master Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    ireland
    Full Name:
    maurice
    Jevs this was some piece of work you created here, lots of intelligent info that i'm going to have a go at.
    The problem i'm having is the light is flashing from cold and never goes off and never goes to solid Red,
    Now i have decided to sell my F355 Berlinetta so i need it sorted, i'm going to start with checking all my connections first. Wonder where the bypass ECU is located must have a close inspection tomorrow.
    Thanks Again