These parts worth the premium? | FerrariChat

These parts worth the premium?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Coldhammer, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coldhammer

Coldhammer Rookie

Dec 4, 2017
    looking at a 2006 430 that has a bunch of novitec parts on it. The car is going for a premium compared to stock 06. The main parts in question are Novitec Power Stage 2, Novitec Power-Optimized Exhaust system, Novitec Carbon Airbox upgrade, Novitec ECU upgrade, NOvitec KW stainless steel Sport coilovers.

I am new to the ferrari world and really don't have much knowledge of fabspeed or some of the other vendors. I can either go with this novitec setup or could buy a stock car for 20k less and go with something like the fabspeed super sport package (no coilovers obviously).

What are you guys thoughts on the novitec vs fabspeed stuff?

2. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    What are you looking for in a car? My thoughts are that this car has been tampered with, thus more issues down the road. Do you know who or when the work was done?

I personally would not trust a car touched by anyone other than myself or a few trusted mechanics. I have had friends purchase modified vehicles and unfortunately it has ended very very badly.

If you want volume, mod it yourself, start with a valve controller and move up. Carbon airbox won’t add much power, mostly aesthetics. Novitec tunes are great, but again, would you trust a vehicle modified by someone else? Wouldn’t the fact that it’s modified hint that perhaps it’s been driven harder than most? Lastly, no seller should expect to recoup the money he put into mods. It’s a rule I’ve learned the hard way when selling four wheelers I had dumped endekess amounts of time and money into.

If a close friend came to me and asked me, I would say to go for the unmodified car and save the extra money. I’d ask him to see how he liked the car stock and then do the mods he feel are important to him. I personally have left my car alone aside from a exhaust controller. It’s m perfect in every way and I’m glad nobody modified it.

Hope this helps.

KC360 FL likes this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Supply and demand...IMO, A seller should not expect a 20k premium for mods but if there is that rare buyer that is specifically looking to add novitec to their car, they might just get it. For the normal buyer, they are looking for stock and may just "tolerate" someone else's mods. If that dude wants to recoup his $$$ he should sell the mods and return his car to stock or else he will never get the ROI he is looking for. Mods are worth more off the car than on, and are just a selling point at best. My car came with several mods, which I sold and put that $$ back into maintenance and repairs.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  4. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Unless these mods are exactly what you are looking for, take a pass and save the 20K.

SoftwareDrone and f355spider like this.
  5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    It appears the "Novitec Power-Optimized Exhaust system" is just a rear muffler section. While it will make the car sound better, it doesn't do a ton for power. The best exhaust setup in my opinion is headers, high flow cats, and stock rear muffler section. While Novitec does make quality product, there is a price premium attached to the name; a product that gives you the same benefits can be had for less, and like other posters commented... modifications almost never (if ever) add value to the asking price of cars (unless it's a private party sale looking for that specific car with those EXACT products).

Sky Hye likes this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Pass.

You'll never get the money back on Novitec mods. For that matter.. if you break even on a modded car consider yourself lucky.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wldnt spend exta money to get the novitec stuff unless you really like novitec, which i personally do...also if someone spent the money for the novitec i wldnt think the car has been mismanaged. The exhaust probably sounds amazing and the airbox is a nice touch - i ordered my 07 with the CF airbox. The suspension isnt a bad thing either.

only piece i dont have experience with is the ECU on a 430 - anyone know if they do much? if they do, id say its a car to consider but not for a 20 percent premium

8. Coldhammer

Coldhammer Rookie

Dec 4, 2017
    I certainly won't be leaving the car stock. So what it really comes down to is cost/benefit of the mods i want. Either way the money get spent. I buy a stock car and spend the money to mod it. or i buy a car that is already modded and just get in and drive it. Let me try and rephrase the question. How does this novitec setup compare to say an equivalent setup from fabspeed? If lets say fabspeed is marginal gains over the novitec setup then its not worth me spending my time buying a stock car and getting everything put on when i can just buy the already built car and go about my day.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if that's the case negotiate the right price. novitec is top shelf. no one modifies a car with novitec unless they really care, even if they have the money to burn. i wld add headers and hi flow cats. on my 430 i went capristo for those parts. if i ever do the mufflers it wld probably be the novitec. i have a full novi on my FF and its divine.

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have some Novitec parts on my 360 and F430. My F430 actually has the full Novitec/KW suspension and it's a night and day difference from stock and exactly what I was looking for. My 360 has some of their carbon parts and the quality is really exceptional. It's clear that Novitec does a lot to deserve their name.

I can't talk about values because nothing occurs in a vacuum. In other words, I'm sure that the only difference between the two cars in your comparison is solely that one has the Novitec parts and one doesn't. Condition, care, history, type of owners, mileage etc. all are major factors and they're not even mentioned. Those things alone could easily be a $20k difference with no Novitec (or Ferrari Challenge parts, etc.) entered into the equation.