Things I don't like about the Mondial | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Things I don't like about the Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, May 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    So far my only complaint is there are really no arm rests, the left one is semi ok but I have no where to rest my right arm. I think I’m going to take the captains chairs out of my Honda Pilot and put them in the Ferrari.

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahahaha!

awesome

3. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    My list is short as well.

The manual steering in parking lots only. It’s perfect at speed.

Doors with forward cabin design.

Manual top operation. Which is why I simply always leave it down.

Air conditioner / vent design is terrible mixed with warm cabin due to radiator plumbing in the summertime.

Parking brake release sometimes inconsistent.

Euro cigarette design as opposed to normal lighter. My car is all original so I won’t switch it out for a practical lighter socket instead.

The absence of a 6th gear or a taller 5th gear ratio would be preferred for highway cruising.

I’m sure there’s more, but the complaints are fairly few.

paulchua likes this.
  4. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    The EZ power steering is definitely worthwhile and woks well !

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    And now we can add ...

xx) the shift rod snaps off at the bottom of the shaft

paulchua likes this.
  6. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    There’s always something wrong with it!

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Porsche vs. Ferrari

Porsche +'s

Steering wheel angle.
    Gauge cluster.
    Seat lateral support and comfort.
    Goes faster.
    Stops faster.
    Corners faster.
    Extreme reliability.
    Parts are more affordable.

Mondial +'s

V8 Engine sound, that you can actually hear.
    Motor is Aluminum, not plastic.
    More gauges.
    Engine cover easily opened without a torx screwdriver.
    Lots of neat maintenance access panels.
    Unassisted rack and pinion.
    Manual top operation.
    No ABS.
    No airbags.
    Has a dipstick.
    Has a throttle cable.

Those last items are more a function of age, but it is what it is.

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Things I love about the Mondial

1) The ride of the car, the road feel and sensations are just right.
    2) The sound
    3) Gated Shifter (when it doesn't snap)
    4) Handling - one of the most forgiving cars, you can rotate it if you want, and not have to worry about snap oversteer. Just enough conservativeness to keep me out of trouble
    5) It's quite spacious
    6) Uniqueness, in 40 plus years (and outside car events) - I've only seen 5 maybe 6 times on the road.--this is pretty astonishing in its own right.
    7) It's relatively low cost and It does not depreciate
    8) I love the full open top
    9) Great to be able to enjoy with up to 3 friends for short trips
    10) In the 'sweet' spot on acceleration/speed for day-to-day driving

alexion likes this.
  9. masonb

masonb Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Not many gripes here, except I don't drive it enough.

However, when looking to buy an older classic, I usually say don't worry about the year or color just buy the nicest one you can find.

When people ask me about how I found my mondial t and what to look for, I explain the mouse belts and encourage the search for a 1989.

There are many redeeming qualities of the newer mondials, but the absence of mouse belts is great.

paulchua likes this.
  10. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Paul, the bulky knee bolsters are probably due to gub'ment mandates. I'm not familiar enough with Mondis to know, but compare US bolsters to pics of Euro bolsters to see if you can notice a difference.

As to the balky 2nd gear, it is well worth trying other GL4 oils to see which works best in your particular gearbox. I'll bet you can improve the cold shifting with the right oil.

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Oh man, Mike, you've just opened up my eyes - I did not realize THIS! I've been trying to remove one of them - it is crazy hard - the screws are all in very difficult locations. I managed to remove all but the last screw, still working on it - I would say this is a must do (although I will stress if, in a crash, the lack of knee protection may cause you harm, so do at your own risk)

I measured and, it would yield an extra 2 inches of knee space in the front (I'm 5-11) and I moved the front seat as far as could and be able to drive. The rear goes from 6 inches to 7 inches of leg room. (15% increase)

The rear seats would be reasonably comfortable space for anybody that is 5 foot 3 - 130 lbs and below. Anything above this is forcing them to be contortionists.

Attached Files:

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Once again the Mondial community comes through. I've been thinking my 'hateful 10' and realized that most can be rectified.
    Let me start with the 3 things that nothing I can do will change.

#1 - Maintenance cost. It's an old car. It's exotic. It's not driven daily. All these things combine to make to make this car a much more expensive proposition than many other cars.

#2 - Fuel economy - 13 mpg (nuff said)

#3 - Because it's so low to the ground, it can cause scrapes.

The three gripes pretty much apply to all Ferrari and exotics so not much anybody can do there, so I'm at peace. If you're going to get a Ferrari - 1 to 3 is unavoidable.

#4 - Automatic mice/seatbelts - really annoying - this makes the 1989 models really great. Solution to this is either an expensive retrofit/or buy a 1989 model.

The next easily 6 are fixable!

#5 - Windows are slow to go up (down is fast) - I hear these will fix them right up - I've ordered them and will also clean the motors/guides...so easily solved.

#6 - Headlamps are relatively dim compared to LED/Xenon/HID - like the windows. I was going to upgrade to these from great things I hear over at the 348 forum. I was examining my lamps when I realized that the previous owner had these protectors on them. They were old and nasty. I peeled the right off, and boom - my lights were all of a sudden 2x times brighter. Not as bright as modern cars, but I decided to keep them as the LED would not period correct, and the current light level is good enough for me. So fixed.

#7 - Knee bolsters seem unnecessary large - it seems that removing them would allow me to get an extra 2 inches of leg/knee room. Thanks to ///Mike - I'm in the process of removing them - so soon to be fixed...which improves space dramatically.

#8 - Small back seats. Removing the knee bolsters adds about 15% more space back there, enough to have folks that are 5'3' 130 pounds be fine for longer trips (just take frequent stops/stretch breaks)

#9 - Roof leaks when it is raining - I found the areas that leak and they just need more weather stripping. I hardly drive in the rain, so this will on the back burner - but relatively easy to resolve.

#10 - 2nd gear balkiness when cold. I've switched to redline which helped. But the permanent solution is attached. Maybe I'll get to it one day.

So there you have it. After all, is said and done, really the automatic seatbelt mice are the only very minor annoyance I have. This is after nearly 5 years of ownership. I true testament to how underrated Mondials really are. Again, as a point of reference, I've owned an AP1 S2000 and R2 2000 NSX, so I think I have reasonable experience with the supposed 'best' if you listen to press at the time the Mondial t came out.

Attached Files: