Things to be aware of....known issues F12 | FerrariChat

Things to be aware of....known issues F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by supersport888, Aug 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. supersport888

supersport888 Rookie

Aug 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    ericG
    Hi everyone, this is my first ferrari purchase and I have an opportunity to purchase my dream car, f12 n-largo. I was hoping the experience of ownership from all the f12 owners on here would be able to provide some advice on what i should look out for or known issues these cars have because the one concern of mine is large maintenance costs due to big part failures after i purchase. The vehicle has 6k miles and is a 2015. I have not gotten the service records from the dealer yet but will be doing so. Any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks

ryalex likes this.
  2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I would do a search on the forum and you'll find a ton of information. It's a rock solid car mechanically. Most get paint peeling by the rear mesh. The rear hatch door also gets leaky with water.

2006m5, Jpacione and Gh21631 like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Buy the car, enjoy it and expect problems and bills. If you dont have any issues then great. F12 is an incredible car, one of the best Ferraris ever IMO. Don't over think it, just go.

4. supersport888

supersport888 Rookie

Aug 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    ericG
    thank you for the info. Ive searched around some but couldnt find alot of
    Ive done some poking around but cant find any real problems or issues, so i guess thats my answer. thank you for the reply

5. supersport888

supersport888 Rookie

Aug 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    ericG
    thank you for reply. I am overthinking it because its alot. I have been thinking about it for a month and just cant get away from it.

6. nguyennhatquang

nguyennhatquang Karting

Feb 13, 2016
    Hanoi
    As all of the Modern Ferrari which has the 7DCL750 transmission you will have a problem with the transmission like Speed sensor failure and Transmission leaking fluid which is not cheap to replace.. because not a lot of DIY guy out there..
    For F12 you will have hot starting issue, Lazy start with Warm engine, this problem has variation fix which include :
    1st : install Update Alternator kit
    2nd : Custom mod the Starting cable
    3rd : Put extra GND cable

I tried the 1st method and it work well, some people with 2nd method work well also.. and 3rd also.. so We don't know what is the real problem is.
    my car got 10.000 miles and it seem fine.. I saw some car got 20k 30k still going well... so.. time will tell...

Alexcle likes this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Corrosion at rear mesh.
    Battery problems related to hot restart troubles.

SAFE4NOW and supersport888 like this.
  8. Falcon7x

Falcon7x Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2012
    Flight Level 450
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Corrosion at rear mesh.....covered under warranty.

supersport888 likes this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It's not cheap but these cars are pretty solid. Get one with a warranty. I had mine for about 2 years and no issues whatsoever.

I will recommend that you immediately change the tires to the Michelins though so expect that expense. The Pirellis are awful.

10. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    only covered under extended ferrari warranty

11. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    besides the aforementioned issues mine had:

1- leather shrinkage on dashboard
    2- leather problems in rear sunscreen
    3- creaking from torque bolts in rear driveshaft

12. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    nice cars but the paint corrosion

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    There was a mid cycle upgrade to the alternator pulley and belt. FNA upgraded mine after eating two belts in 9 months. Thankfully even with the belt failing I was able to limp it the couple of miles to the dealer. Also covered my mesh corrosion with warranty repaint and repair.

+1 on the Michelins. Mine came with old K1 and going to 4S was huge difference.

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I would avoid the N-largo cars. Too much modification from stock IMHO. F12 is the most beautiful of the recent modern line of Ferrari flagships. Crazy power and satisfying Jeckle-Hyde nature. If you are concerned about long term reliability then consider the factory warranty extension. Exotic owners all run the risk of future issues and have to decide the best comfort level. Mine has been under factory warranty since new. Do negotiate a new non-OEM battery to avoid near-term electrical issues. Do a search for it and the MPS4S tires.

15. Falcon7x

Falcon7x Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2012
    Flight Level 450
    Full Name:
    Stew
    My corrosion was covered post warranty.

Sgt93 and supersport888 like this.
  16. ozcav

ozcav Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I have had all of these, plus the rear mesh and DCT leak. Also the lifter handle on the racing seats is prone to breaking.

17. supersport888

supersport888 Rookie

Aug 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    ericG
    The DCT leak is my biggest worry, unfortunately there is no way to foresee if that will happen or not. ive read around 10K for rebuild or 30-40K for replacement.

18. Sloop

Sloop Rookie

Jul 18, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Paul Breitner
    Hello F12 owners. First of all, greetings from Germany to yall in the world of Ferrari. As an German Engineer I do have some German sports cars but now I would like to buy myself an F12.
    Questions:
    1) Exist ther any technical changes since from the beginning of production 2012 until 2017? --> like face lift etc?
    2) Where there any design changes during production life time?

Many thanks for your feedback!
    Reagrds Sloop

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

New
    Hello F12 owners. First of all, greetings from Germany to yall in the world of Ferrari. As an German Engineer I do have some German sports cars but now I would like to buy myself an F12.
    Questions:
    1) Exist ther any technical changes since from the beginning of production 2012 until 2017? --> like face lift etc? None that I am aware of however I always prefer to buy a later model in the cycle, this goes with everything.
    2) Where there any design changes during production life time? none

rumen1 likes this.
  20. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I also think, that all model years F12 are exactly the same. As for the technical issues - as mentioned above, lazy hot engine start and DCT problems, mainly related to the speed sensor, which costs about $1000. But the gearbox issues are not guaranteed to happen. My F12 had them when I bought it, however I owned an early 458 for several years and it never ever had a single issue at all. If you ask me - you just need to find the car, that is spec'd exactly as you like it and then drive it like you stole it. No need to overthink it too much, just drive the car before you buy it and see if everything works fine.

21. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Later years did come with an upgraded alternator belt and pulley, and it was also available as a retrofit kit. I'd check that the car has it.

rumen1 likes this.
  22. Sloop

Sloop Rookie

Jul 18, 2020
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Paul Breitner
    Thanks, but onwards from which year? What do you mean with "laters years"??? Please more facts and detail, thanks!!!

23. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Well that's a good question, and to be honest I am not sure this information is available somewhere... Ferrari are notorious for introducing changes to their models in the middle of a MY. Let's see if somebody else can chime in!

24. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I would avoid a modified car.

ERACobra likes this.