Things to do in the Phoenix area 12-28-1-2? Out-of-towner | FerrariChat

Things to do in the Phoenix area 12-28-1-2? Out-of-towner

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Dec 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So, going to see our mighty Clemson Tigers take that next step to the Championship.

Stadium looks like an engineering marvel. I hope the hotel is ok THE WESTIN KIERLAND RESORT.

Now what to do with a few days to spare? Any recommendations? Only thing on the list is Taliesin West. Any cool car things happening? Museums? What is the one thing you would recommend or do?

Thanks!

2. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The Westin is a great place to stay. It is a really fantastic location that has some fantastic restaurants within walking distance as well. The Kierland complex and Scottsdale Quarter (just across the street) have a great selection.

Taliesin West is really cool too. We've hosted private dinners there with tours and I have always enjoyed going back.

I'm not sure if there are any car events going on next week, but hopefully others will chime in.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thanks! Seeing Taliesin will be special, we live in a house designed by reportedly the only Architect Wright recommended for AIA membership-Alfred Browning Parker. It will be interesting to seeing how he was influenced in person.

4. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    I take guests to the botanical gardens. Easy way to kill 3-4 hours.

5. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    The David and Gladys Wright house may also be of interest to you. David and Gladys Wright House Arcadia

I'm afraid there's a bit of a dry spell for car events in the time you are here, another week and the car madness would be in full swing for January.

6. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    try the Penske museum, lots of nice stuff there, plus you can buy a car right next door. once you have your new car you can drive to Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, and back through Jerome. Many good restaurants, try Lons, nice outdoor area. go to Sonora desert museum, really unusual. go to the Biltmore, great grounds and some FLW influence.
    Wait around until the Concourse, we will all be there for auction madness.
    malcolm

7. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Tour the Wrigley mansion. Informal car show every Saturday at Pavilions on Indian Bend Road. Try T. Cooks for dinner.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thanks Malcolmb! Julie says hello and Merry Christmas!! Hmmm isn't that red car sort of green now or is that another one?

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I saw that! The Author of the book on Parker https://www.amazon.com/Architecture-Alfred-Browning-Parker-Modernist/dp/0813036771 Randolph C Henning recommended this as well. We are bringing a copy for Aaron Betsky, dean of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture.

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Mansion

Imagine what 1.2 million could do during the depression.

Thanks! Very interesting, we would like to see the Biltmore as well. I read the reviews and was surprised by the one star stories, they are hilarious. Funny how people can have a bad stay at such a very cool historic property. I love old hotels.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  12. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    And a Merry Christmas to you and Julie, and yes, some guy in the South painted it green, need to change it.malcolm

13. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Highly recommend the Music Museum.....not far from Kierland....3-4 hrs to get a good view of all the displays.....was amazing!

14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    As mentioned- Westin is great. Make sure you visit the scotch bar in the lobby. The rattlesnake in the lobby is also worth a look at.

One of the best Italian restaurants is right next to Westin- Tutti Santi. Excellent!

Virtue is an amazing restaurant in old town. Monarch and Binkleys-
    Also awesome. Enjoy your trip.

15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Does Harley Cluxston (sp?) still have his place?

16. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Yes, look up Grand Touring Cars, has a few interesting cars there.