Think you can plank? Not anymore... | FerrariChat

Think you can plank? Not anymore...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by muk_yan_jong, May 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #1 muk_yan_jong, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I love isometrics and body weight exercises. Simple challenges and practical movements. Better strength use in the real world.

Was looking at up-weighting a kettlebell and found these little bundles of agony:

Neuro Grips from DragonDoor

I used to be able to knock out push ups and planks with the best of them. Until now...

The balance and concentration necessary to use these things is tremendous. I could barely do one push up and could hardly even last a minute with a plank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    That looks like a challenge...that I have zero interest in.

Good luck with that!

3. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Looks like a bunch of busted knuckles, if not broken wrists, just waiting to happen.
    Seriously, how in the world do you keep from hurting yourself if you lose balance??

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  4. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    You stop, drop and roll (and hope you don't knock some teeth out)

5. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had the exact same thoughts.

6. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I made something similar and they are the only push ups I do anymore. Yes, it is much harder and yes, it can be a little dangerous. But when I exercise I want to work out the most muscles I can and I want it to be harder, not easier. As a rock climber, or anyone wanting to increase forearm and grip strength these do that at the same time you're working the normal muscles involved in regular push ups.

In climbing, you often know when your strength is failing and you have time to retreat or at least fall in a controlled manner. The same is true with these push ups. Once you're used to them, you wouldn't without warning fall over and break your wrist, you just get tired and stop.

Anyway, they're great and have the side benefit of getting revenge on those that can do way more regular push ups than I can. The first time they try these they don't do so well, and I win a beer.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'm happy just using my rotating grips, thanks! :)

I'm up to 100/day with them.

8. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just wondering what age you are. Of course, as we age we need to modify our routines. I'm 60 have been concentrating on body weight movement exercises since the Ford Pinto and find that as time goes on using less specialized equipment means easy access and universal availability to continue exercising. Looks like a tough set to get through, have fun.

9. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For a more challenging pushup, with zero risk, while also triggering plenty of stabilizers, I use the bosu ball, with the flat side up and a neutral grip on the edge.

I do a standard set to start and then modify it with lower rep sub-sets (say 10-20 reps) with either a bench or boxes under my feet, to change the angle and weight distrib. It recruits lots of stabilizers, and I can really feel a burn.

10. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Reviving this thread a bit...

I am back trying to get my fitness where it needs to be (just turned 50).

I am doing a burpee challenge...increasing number of burpees over the course of 100 days. Day 1, you do 1, day 50 you do 50. Until you hit 100. Then you can quit if you like.

So, am now adding in the burpees to my regular activity and just love how they let you feel.

11. Jacob17

Jacob17 Rookie

Oct 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jacob Smith
    It's a little like self tourture! haha

12. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    So do you do squats in 4" heels too.....? ;)

13. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
  14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I do 200 push-ups M/W/F. 5 Sets--standard, heart (or Hershey kiss--hands together), incline, and decline (using stairs in my house). I've been thinking about using something to increase the muscles needed (basically something somewhat destabilizing)--some good ideas here already. I've thought about doing them with a weight vest on, but at 55 I'm thinking my shoulders would rather that I didn't.