Thinking about a v8 vantage. | FerrariChat

Thinking about a v8 vantage.

Discussion in 'British' started by Afonsolaw, Sep 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I have been eyeing up a v8 vantage what is the general consensus on these? I have heard they are problematic and not reliable. Any truth to this? Also what years to avoid? And what is the preferred model and color combo? Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

2. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Where did you hear that? I have never heard that at all. Though any exotic being made in such small batches compared to regular cars, can't be as reliable due to the lack of repetition - amongst other factors, I believe they aren't bad at all from what I all heard. My friend has one and will probably chime in. Everything I've read leads me to conclude that they aren't a model to shy away from.

3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    A modern Vantage from the 2006 era till new are BULLET PROOF!
    That's all you need to know, bang for the buck and owning a pair of wings is the best kept secret.
    The v8 is bullet proof and the old fashion stick is just a great bonus in todays times.
    GTJOEY1314

4. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I have owned a 2007 V8 Vantage for two years now and it's been an absolute pleasure to own. The V8 when even sort of properly maintained is as bulletproof an engine that you'll find in any exotic car. The manual transmission is better than the "Sportshift" auto-manual. The car is absolutely masterfully crafted and in my opinion the prettiest modern car. It does have it's ergonomic oddities and quirks but who wants a boring car?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

sainthoo and Robb like this.
  5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Spectacular! Love Met sliver 2009!

SV

6. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    +1 Go for a manual for both driver involvement and clutch longevity. The nice thing about an Aston is that roadsters are as available coupes - nice choice to have. Interiors are well crafted and the exhaust note is sublime. Not an investment, but can't go wrong in terms of personal satisfaction...

R J likes this.
  7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Beautiful colors on your Vantage, Jeff.

8. vikcky1991

vikcky1991 Rookie

Sep 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    vikas gautam

9. Lamborgotti_Fasterossa

Jan 5, 2017
    Europe
    Before you begin reading: English is not my first language, so expect some errors :)

I bought a 2008 Vantage 2 years ago. And it has been a fun 2 years.

As others have said already: they are more or less bulletproof. Weak things are:

- the sportshift, which can wear very fast if not driven properly. Just like in an F355 or a 360, when you learn how to drive it, and drive carefully, it can last a very long time. But when drive like a race driver all the time, it will wear very fast. It's also a bit jerky.

- foggy headlights

- the car can give weird malfunctions when the battery is weak, so a trickle charger is a must have

- with some models, the passenger door will not lock when you press 'close' on the remote.

- the fuel cap sometimes will not open. But that's no big deal, because there is a manual release in the trunk, and it only takes 10 seconds to open it manually.

On the Aston Martin website (AMOC) people recommend the later versions (late 2007 till 2008) of the 4.3. Or, when you have the budget, go for the 4.7, or even the 4.7 Vantage S.

The early models (2006-2007, the ones with the antenna on the roof) can be bought very cheap though !

Keep in mind that the 4.3 is not *that* fast. When you're into speed, numbers, and acceleration, this is NOT the car for you. It's not a Ferrari. They aren't slow either, i reckon you can compare them to an early 997 Carrera.

The do however have a fantastic soundtrack, and in my opinion (but maybe i'm biased), the 4.3 with fuse 22 removed, sounds better than the 4.7.

I don't know if you speak dutch, but here is an article on the vantage reliability:

https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/aston-martin-v8-vantage-2005-2017-occasion-video-aankoopadvies-97662

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had the first V8 Vantage when they came out and it was amazing. The looks. The sound. Someone offered more than I paid, and down the road it went.

The big service item is the clutch. It's $9K! Half the car has to come apart.

11. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Ageless car. One of the best looking cars ever made and wonderfully crafted. The paint finish on my current N430 is immaculate. Glass like finish (zero defects in paint finish). I chose Lightning Silver. Great colour.

Very robust car. No reliability problems at all. Have abandoned Porsche as a brand due to the appallingly bad unreliability. Nothing ever gone wrong with the Astons I have had other than:

• bluetooth unit failed on my first Vantage. Replaced on warranty.

• passenger door on first car wouldn’t lock. Defective latch. Replaced on warranty.

• perished rubber seal on thermostat leading to over cooling of engine. This was on second Aston. Fixed on warranty.

That’s about it. Current car is unbreakable. My daily driver for getting around London.

If you have an older car without a switchable exhaust you can get the switch retro fitted at Aston Martin Works in the UK. Doesn’t cost any meaningful money so must have if you don’t have switchable exhaust and want this solution. Much more flexible solution than removing fuse 22 - with the switch you have the choice and no fault codes. You also avoid the risk of seizing up the valves.

Sound is epic and cultured at the same time.

Steering feel and overall chassis balance is fantastic. Not the most technically advanced car and not an engineering dream, but certainly generates emotional bond and has great character. Great subjective rewards. Ignore the objective measurements which trail behind competitors in terms of performance. Irrelevant in real world, but character and soul really present in every detail and can’t be measured.

davidoloan likes this.
  12. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    +1 Well said...

13. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    My clutch and flywheel were replaced last year for under $6000. Still a lot of money, but if you are paying $9k that's FAR more than even a dealer charges.

14. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    i had 2008 vantage for about two years, it felt really well put together, like tank, fit and finish was on par with any other exotic car. not so fast off the line as lets say
    a 458 or california. but a very capable cruiser. the handing is above par for the course. id say try 2009 and above , as the interior is improved. but it is really a fun and cool car. and yes the 9k clutch job hurts ,, but it is a 15-20k miles intervals. but for 45-50k it is really the most affordable true modern exotic. BTW
    went from a mas coupe ,to v8 vantage, to porsche 911 cabriolet, to cali30. of all 4 the Aston was on par with the rest. no regrets.

15. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    They are great cars. I had a 2007 Roadster with a paint issue but other than that flawless then got rid of it for a 2008 roadstser which I kept for 3 years and loved every minute of it. As others have said, not really fast compared to ferrari or other brands but a elegant sophisticated car that has timeless beauty. I still miss mine even though I have a 458, 488 spider, and continental GT. If I had space I'd grab one in stick for sure.

Believe me, you won't regret it for the price.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    That's a hell of a lot better than what I was quoted!

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I am still upset the current V8 is called a Vantage, that moniker should be reserved only for the absolute top of the line Astons like the cars from the 70s, 80s and Virage from the 90s.