Thinking about adding a 1984 512 BBI | FerrariChat

Thinking about adding a 1984 512 BBI

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by BlueFerrari458, Feb 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    Any owners have thoughts about their ownership ... positive or horror stories welcome.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if a BB 512 then I would go for a carb car

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Injected is just easier to maintain, and drive. I've owned both. My BBI has been with me since pretty much new (1985). Till this day, I love driving it. As long as you have a solid car to begin with, Your problems will be less. A neglected car will continue to give you headaches (is my belief).
    Pull the trigger, You won't be disappointed!

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The first question is, to drive or to show? Not kidding, some are looking at adding to a collection others are looking to use for more than a concour or cars and coffee.

If I were just concerned with concours, I would first attempt to get a carbed car (obviously no '84s). Only because I like the look of the carbs when it's all opened up. If to drive a bit, an injected car because they are easy when everything is right(prejudice I have an 84)

Either way I would not hesitate to own either a BB or BBi as they are fun, engaging and have enough power for any street driving. As stated, get a good solid car and you will be fine (I'm not talking mileage, for to me it does not matter. Condition is key). Sorting one costs gobs of money if you are not doing things yourself and parts can be frightful, if available. Some are NLA. Also if driving is the priority, get the aftermarket 17 inch rims it takes the car a big leap forward.

Drive a few if you can and be patient. I have been thinking of what to do with mine for 18 months, but everytime I go for a blast the though becomes a forgotten memory.

I dont think you will hear many negatives, besides the costs of sorting crappy repairs and poor service. Good luck.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when everything is right a carb car also is easy

6. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    BB's are great cars. I've thoroughly enjoyed mine for six years now. They are in the sweet spot between vintage car cool and supercar performance.
    The last handmade Ferrari.
    The first mid-engined Ferrari street car.
    Enzo's favorite street car.
    Limited production

I agree with Joe, I'm on a high carb diet myself. I prefer the sound, power delivery, and looks of carbs. Plus I'd rather rebuild the four Weber IF 3C's than the mechanical fuel distributor on a BBi.
    I've had no carb problems in six years.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the 1st 12 cylinder mid-engined street car, and even this is not right. there have been before the 365 GT4 BB ;)

8. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I would echo much of the above- I have owned my BBi since about '96 and it was in quite good condition. Now I am in the long process of trying to sort it out to as close to perfect as seems reasonable. It would be very expensive if I were not doing all the work.
    It is a great car to drive and is demanding but rewarding- all very mechanical, and It is generally a guys car- my wife "hates" it. However, I might change her mind when it is running as it should. Good AC will help as it has always functioned extremely well as long as the outdoor temps were less than 60;). I own/have owned some extremely fast cars with great handling but honestly the way the BBi pulls and sounds out of 2nd and 3rd gears is very special.

I like the fact that it represents the last of the truly hand-built Ferraris and the numbers are very limited. This is particularly true of excellent examples.
    I really love the looks- very sexy-particularly when you consider the era. This was the car I lusted after in the late 70's when it was essentially unobtanium.
    Lots of interesting comments when folks realize it's not a 308

9. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    A 365 GT4 BB is a BB in my book.

365 GT4 BB
    BB512
    BBi512
    ...All Berlineta Boxers.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you say BB then you only think to 512 and 512i, when you talk about a 365 GT4 BB then you normal say a 365 BB
    but what I wanted to say is that those BB´s are not the 1st legal street cars from F with mid engine, only the 1st 12 cylinder legal street cars