News

Thinking about buying a GranSport. Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by PaulK, Jul 27, 2020.

1. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I admit I have always wanted a Maserati GranSport. There is just something about them.
    And I see I can pick up good ones in the high teens to the low 20s. How bad can I get hurt?

I know clutches are a big deal. So is the heater core.

Can you get a complete workshop manual on the GS? Does anyone have one?

How do they ride? I am thinking of getting rid of my 500 Abarth and replacing it with one. I'd like a car that is comfortable on long road trips. The Abarth is NOT a comfortable car but it is fun to drive around town. Also it costs next to nothing to maintain. I know the GS won't be like that exactly but since I have a F355 I would like to spend less maintaining my next car than that one. Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Rossa Subscribed

Maserati are not exactly reliable;) I would say u are a bit crazy;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agreed. From what I understand the engines and transmissions are bulletproof, but it will have the typical stickies of the era.

Does anyone have a workshop manual?

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Owner Miami 2018

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just sold mine after 12 years to Jimpo1's son.
    • they are reliable.
    • clutches are not a problem.
    • they are soft and understeer until you get springs and sway bar.
    • interior and cosmetic things will cost you more keeping right than mechanical.
    • they will wear tires pretty quick.
    • get the DBW from Formula Dynamics, more fun to drive and clutch will last longer.
    • I think market is $15-20k for the best ones, OK ones that you'll dump some money $10k.
    Here is current estimate Norwoods some common expenses.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Rossa Subscribed

Texas is cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrMark likes this.
  6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dude! Way cheeper than a F355!! Wow!!!!!!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Rob. Did the leather shrink on the dash like on the 355s? How many miles do you have?

8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Mar 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I look at them quite often as well. I just haven't found one that met my criteria which is basically not red or black, don't want that microfiber interior or whatever it's called and (this is the most important) one that's been properly maintained.

I had a Maserati Coupe which was stick and it was pretty reliable but when issues would arise they were generally $500 to $1,000, closer to $1,000 though. Back then they were 15-17k cars so I got kind of annoyed at paying so much in repairs relative to the value but now I actually miss the car.

PaulK likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Owner Miami 2018

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no dash problems, I did have most of the interior restored, the mesh inserts wear and discolor bad. think it had over 55k. original clutch replaced at 45k and it wasn't even slipping yet.

PaulK likes this.
  10. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    It will be closer in cost to the 355 to maintain than the Abarth, but not nearly as much. Ride is very good for a sporty-GT. There is a spider version too, but they're rarer and probably not as good as the coupe for long road trips. Some cars have full leather interiors without the funny seat insert material.
    Also, they sound great. A 4.2L V8 with a cross-plane dry-sump...

11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah that's the problem. I want a blue one. Everything that is out there is black or red. They are all the same cars, too. They are asking mid-high 20's and they are just sitting there.
    I remember them having carbon-backed seats. Turns out I was wrong.
    I believe the fabric is referred to as a "technical fabric" and I actually like it. I like cloth in cars better than leather as cloth wears better. I am disappointed to hear that is not the case on these cars.

That really isn't bad at all. I am fine with them being a little softly sprung. The roads here in Michigan are worse than Afghanistan.

I still wish I could find a workshop manual for one! Anyone?

12. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Mar 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Blue is my favorite color as well as it fits Maserati perfectly. I actually like the look of the fabric but it gets dirty over time and is a pain in the ass to clean and to keep clean I guess. That's why I think the leather is a bit better. Having the fabric on the seat and door handle I can tolerate as that's easier to fix but the dashboard one scares me as that's a big job.

I don't know if you're familiar with the MC Victory but I really like that car. I'm just annoyed I missed out on a blue and gray MC Victory for 45k 2-3 years. Unfortunately this was when I had my 355 and I didn't feel like having 2 high maintenance queens lol!

PaulK and Nembo1777 like this.