Thinking about this non running 348 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking about this non running 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by AuthenticRebuilds, Feb 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Oh I didn't mean to dissuade him. I'm just making sure he is aware that even doing your own work can add up to tens of thousands of dollars in maintenance, as I'm sure you know just as well as I do. ;)

steved033, chas-3 and Pangea like this.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think is great and a fun project if you have time and skill so enjoy!

That said the whole venture is speculation. i read peoples guesses as possibly providing some insight you may not have considered is all.all. Not so sure people appreciate the back handed thankyou which is how it reads.

just an observation is all.... but best of luck and we look forward to seeing it unfold. Could be amazing when done so onward!

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Yep...

Fixing cars is fun when you are young, looking for a challenge, have tons of time on your hands, and your time is free.

By the time you get older, time is way too valuable to dump 500 free hours into a car...

I completely understand how people end up with half finished cars languishing in a garage for 30 years...

The soul is willing but the body is weak... :)

I am forcing myself to finish a 930 motor rebuild this year. I already swore to myself that I am not restoring another car, or rebuilding another motor, in this lifetime...

Nader likes this.
  4. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    AuthenticRebuilds likes this.
  5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The car comes apart easy. Going back together takes another level of commitment.

surfwolf likes this.
  6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    No keys?! - very strange. I think any reputable dealer would have made a key for the car, if really lost, before offering it for sale. Are they hiding the key to hide something serious? Before making any offer, I would request the dealer to make a key and then go to see the car and, at least, see if the engine cranks without making a lot of dreadful noises.

Pangea likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Go for it. Maybe it will provide some entertainment on Chat for a few years.

8. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    I bought mine after it had been off the road and stored badly. It had an engine out service, and brakes done. A bit of paint to make it presentable. The rest is all work in progress, various small niggles to work through, but I enjoy it. I am older, but have the time to do it. The plan is it will need a proper respray in a few years time, but I will run it until then and fix any issues as and when. The keys, or lack of, would put me off, but none of the rest. If you want it, go for it, but go in with eyes wide open and deep pockets. Enjoy.

Nader and AuthenticRebuilds like this.
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    They would :)

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its not that kind of dealer.....

RCKSTR likes this.
  12. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Thanks for the experienced reply, did you do the engine out or have it done. Ive seen various engine out reciepts while searching and the parts involved arent that bad but the labor,,,,,, wow. Id be doing all my own work and having not wrenched on one yet but doing alot of reading Ive seen how putting it back together is the test of patience, especially the 6 bulkhead bolts.
    They have had a set of keys made now, the sales guy has been great and better at following through than the high end dealers ive dealt with. How do people sell cars when they cant get you a simple picture. I asked this guy for one of each side of the engines cam belt to ensure theyre intact and I think I got 10, good, well lit pictures.
    I work in industrial maintenance and have a 3 day work week so I have time plus an empty slot in the garage at the moment. Ive brought back a few engines back to life after sitting 20 plus years and for some reason I really enjoy getting them to purr again. we havnt sealed the deal just yet, but if not there will be one if im patient.

ernie likes this.
  13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    If the car has been sitting for a long time (especially with low fuel level in the tank) and the engine does not start, I would first suspect the fuel pumps. You may find them both seized. But you don't need to spend $$$$ for new pumps - there is a Latvian seller on Ebay selling genuine Bosch pumps for just under $200 a piece with free international shipping. He delivers rather quickly and provides a tracking number.

steved033 likes this.
  14. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    It had the engine out, clutch, and brakes done, prior to me buying.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    12 forward bolts. Double your pleasure.

ernie and RCKSTR like this.
  16. RCKSTR

RCKSTR Karting

I have my engine out right now for a repair and service, my first Ferrari but not my first rodeo turning wrenches. All in all if you take your time, document and take pictures, follow the very helpful links on here, almost anything can be done by a DIY'er. My car has a spotted history as well but I got it cheap, I was prepared to buy the costly parts and do it on my own time. So far very happy with my purchase. My car will never be a "collectors" car, so I'm going to enjoy it, the way it was meant to be.

QSA, ernie, allandwf and 2 others like this.
  17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I was just about to post this same thing. 25 years of working on everything else, and so far, none of it has been a surprise.

sjd

18. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Ive seen those fuel pumps, I figured on just replacing them anyways and had seen those on ebay and wondered why I havnt seen other aftermarket pumps being used like walbro. Im open to suggestions.

12 bolts yes i must have been picturing one side in my mind. At work I deal with alot of custom industrial equipment and even though it came apart sometimes you are scratching your head how it ever got put together in the first place, but in the end it works out.

Allan after the engine out and clutch, which seem to be the biggies what have you had to deal with since?

rckstr you sound alot like myself. did you jump in with your engine out and hit it hard for a few days or take your time? First time always has that learning curve time added in. Im about an hour from the mountains in SC where I love to ride my bikes and play with my porsche, id love to take a high reving italian V8 on those roads.

19. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    well we cant get together on price, after shipping id be out about 35k and there is just to much mystery to risk that. The sales guy adam as been beyond helpfull with my request, more than any other dealer ive talked to. If anybody spots a 348 or 360 that may need some work shoot me a message.