Thinking of a California 30 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of a California 30

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Themaven, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login I just traded my 997 Turbo Cab for a 2013 Cali 30.

I have been a Porsche guy for 20 years and have owned 5 sports cars (Boxster and 4 911’s) and Still have a Cayenne S.

I was looking to upgrade and compared the 2015 911 Turbo Cab and a 2013 Cali 30.

The 911’s have been trouble free through all of my models, just basic maintenance, the Turbo Cab was a great car for everyday use if you wanted and then it had all the performance when you really wanted to drive it.

I really liked the 15 Turbo but it was SO familiar to me the Cali 30 was something new and different.

I had reconstructive back surgery about 10 years back and suffer from severe pain and have problems getting in and out of the other Ferrari choices. (No 430,458,488 for me)

The California has a softer ride than my 997 on its softest setting , Im a big guy and the Cali was a little tighter fit but still comfortable. The Tech and interior functions were more sophisticated in the 911 but the Cali was just more exciting.
    The sound of the exhaust, the feel of the front end power is very different. I like the engine torque and how the naturally aspirated engine builds.

Overall they were both great cars but the look, feel and rarity made the California a more special purchase.

good2go likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ I own a 2011 911S and a 2011 Cali and I echo those statements. Both are great cars IMO, different enough to be enjoyed back to back for different reasons...T

SAUCEKING, Zisky and good2go like this.
  3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Edit - where are my manners? Sharp looking Cali!!

Zisky likes this.
  4. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    #29 OwenC, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Yes, I had to make sure the car was in working order, otherwise the next order would get back at me. Surprisingly, among the various issues I had, one was leaking on the aftermarket Capristo exhaust's O2 sensor connector and our local Ferrari dealer was very helpful in fixing the issue. They even warned me that the 2nd O2 sensor connector's weld as about to break as well so they fixed it in advance. I e-mailed Capristo about the issue but sadly they didn't respond. Not really sure how much Capristos cost but looking at the exhaust's quality Akrapovic is surely worlds apart as use very nice titanium finishes instead of stainless.

All in all, I think I ran the Cali30 close to 2000 km in 3 months. What couldn't really be fixed were some rattles, the sticky buttons (well, dealer suggested to take them off and repaint, but I didn't really find it a correct solution as it should be Ferrari who should take responsibility), and the fact that car has to be connected to an external charger weekly otherwise computer errors would pop out.

Thanks for the encouraging words and the new generation Ferrari's are really beautiful. :)

5. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    Oh sure, I currently have 2 Hondas for my family's use. Also have Porsches that are pretty much trouble free and recently acquired a Huracan which has been great so far.

6. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    So what's your point. You don't want a Ferrari because they break down too much, but you own a Porsche, and a Huracan (both expensive to maintain). Your just telling me how rich you are? Or just want to be negative about Ferrari?

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    All I can say is there are a lot of awesome cars to drive. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Maserati, McLaren cant go wrong.

OwenC and tomc like this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Indeed. Get one of each, drive them all!
    T

good2go and OwenC like this.
  9. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    #34 OwenC, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Dont get me wrong, I really like Ferraris as they make very beautiful cars. The Cali was one of my introductions in the sports car world which triggered my weekend driving hobby. I just stated the facts from my own experience, both good and bad, but of course it can be different for others.

And after experiencing several other cars, I could see that the build quality difference was just too obvious. That is why I said I hope Ferrari can improve on their quality as a responsible company. Because if they do, they can count on me as one of their customers again.

Texas Forever, Zisky and good2go like this.
  10. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    One year now since adding my 2013 30. Have had many F cars. The 30 is about the most complete package in a modern exotic you ever ask for. Currently I have my 360 and the 30. This is about the best combo for me ever!!!!!

rob lay likes this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great to hear! No itch for a V12?
    T

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    tru dat.

13. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    I had some seat time in a 599 and a 550. Great cars! But they never grabbed me the way the V8s have. My 360 has the factory racing exhaust with the ECU Swap. Screams!!!! The 30 bone stock well optioned car. SCREAMS AND POPS! I was considering the factory exhaust kit. Kinda thought it would be cool. Could not find any sound clips. So Stay stock and keep my 6K in my pocket..I’m getting older and cheaper!! Heeeee

tomc likes this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hi everyone, I am just closing the circle on this thread as people gave me such thoughtful and constructive advice, even if it was a couple of years ago.

In summary, I own a couple of Ferraris for weekend fun (a gated 430 spider and a gated 575 with FHP). I had been pondering swapping my DD C63 AMG (6.3) wagon For something with a small backseats now the kids are grown up. Reason being, they rarely go in the car, and if they do, it’s for short distances.

The car would be used for everyday shopping, visiting relatives and so on. Parked on the street in London and driven my my wife and I.

Having put the process on hold soon after I first posted this thread, I re-visited it at the end of last year.

I actually made an offer on a beautiful 2013 Cali 30 HS, canna di fucile over cuio, 7000 miles. It was being sold by a dealer on behalf of a collector client, and the dealer told me I was just £1K away from a deal.

The alternative I had been looking at was a 991.2 GTS Cabrio.

In the end, something stopped me from offering that extra grand for the Ferrari. Possibly because buying a 8 year old Ferrari for everyday city use and parking involves a lot of heart as well as head. I’m just not sure why, though.

Last week, I finally concluded this decision process. A 2019 992 Carrera S Cabrio in agate (quite similar to CdF) over Mojave. With lots of options, the price was marginally higher than the California, and depreciation will inevitably be faster. But it is a nearly new car with a two year warranty, newer tech for every day driving, and, well, that’s what swung it. And as even my kids point out, we do have a couple of Ferraris for that extra exotic factor.

Having said all that, I do have my eye on a Cali T HS to replace the 992 when the time comes.

Thank you again, everyone. It was a tough one, and i was almost in a Cali 30 HS right now. But at the moment, I feel the choice was right for me.

15. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    As a very happy owner of a 2013 Cali-30 HS I am truly sorry to hear this :( Rosso Fiorano over Saba (Sand)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pro Bono likes this.
  16. Quicksilver66

Quicksilver66 Rookie

Oct 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Reading through this fascinating and informative thread has prompted me to reopen it with a few observations on my 2013 Cali 30 HS.

I can't offer any comparisons to Porsche. However, my first motoring love has always been Morgan and I'm currently on my second Morgan, a 2020 V6 Roadster. I love the original and authentic 1930's styling and the traditional coach built construction - I ordered my latest Mog new from the factory and it is, in effect, a brand new classic car - not a pastiche of a 30's sports car but a continuation with modern power. But I always agreed with the late Peter Morgan, the legendary former boss of Morgan- "the greatest sports-car in the world is Morgan - the second greatest is Ferrari". And he should know as he owned a number of Ferraris. Morgan and Ferrari have one thing in common - excitement and "driving by the seats of your pants" is built into their DNA.

My Cali 30 HS joined my Morgan a few years ago. I always have my Cali set to sport and the ride was a lot firmer than I initially expected it to be - but compared to the hard ride of my Morgan, it feels pretty smooth. I find the Cali to be an intoxicating experience - the sound, the acceleration, the cornering ability, the sheer excitement the car induces is addictive. Initially I thought I might keep this car 3 or 4 years and then "upgrade" to a more exotic Ferrari, preferably a V12. Although I don't rule out getting another Ferrari at some point, the Cali is not going to be traded in - I Iove it and its a keeper. To my thinking it harks back to the road Ferraris of the early 70's and before - prior to the overly powerful supercars which can be undrivable and have too much power to usefully use. The Cali, like the older classic Ferrari road cars, is powerful but still a drivers car, one where you can explore it's limits to a degree without fear of what it might do if you press down too hard. In short, a powerful and exotic GT. That ticks all the boxes for me. And it's naturally aspirated !

Some of the glitches other owners have remarked on are justifiable comments. I've had my share of these - frequently the boot lid fails to close when the hood is retracted (about 50% of the time this happens); random software glitches and warnings; the parking sensor occasionally going haywire and bleeping non-stop; poor trim, like the seat retractor handle coming lose in my hand. But it was ever so. I regard these things as fairly minor and many can probably be overcome given time - my overall experience of the car is positive. I think this is a great car in the 30 HS package and a real experience to own and drive.

SAUCEKING likes this.
  17. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I wholeheartedly agree with everything Quicksilver66 has described, with the possible exception of the drivability of today’s ‘super car’ models. But his description of the throwback look of the California, with its more subtle curves and hood scoop, is spot on. I too thought that I wanted a 458, but every time I look at and drive mine (the one in the post just above his) I know I made the right choice and mine is a keeper as well.

SAUCEKING and Quicksilver66 like this.
  18. Quicksilver66

Quicksilver66 Rookie

Oct 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    I think Pininfarina got the styling spot on with the Cali, Bill. The side body scoops, the bonnet scoops and the front grill look classic Ferrari/Pininfarina, but brought up to date for the 21st century. Some complain that the Cali butt is a bit bulky but it looks fine to me. And with the roof up it looks every inch a stylish Berlinetta - you can't tell it's a convertible.

Bill Phillips likes this.